MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When to look for off campus housing? ashlay17 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 10 11-02-2010 02:31 PM
Off Campus Housing eSsBee Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 5 07-09-2010 12:14 AM
Off Campus Housing t.dot Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 3 06-14-2010 07:05 PM
Off Campus Housing Options ice8 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 13 05-20-2009 11:04 PM

Off campus housing

Old 12-18-2009 at 06:40 PM   #1
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

Off campus housing
I believe winter break is the right time to start looking for appts/houses for next year. I would like to get some feedback on people who are currently living offcampus. Is appt style better than house..what do you prefer? I was thinking of getting a house close to the univ. and appts seem a bit far. How much do they cost at an avg?
Thanks

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Last edited by Richa : 12-18-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: costs?
Old 12-18-2009 at 06:52 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Average depends on the kind of housing, the number of rooms, and proximity to campus, and the landlord.

Apartments have the tendency to be more expensive than student housing.

Rent in the Westdale area is close to $400/month plus utilities. On the other side of campus rent does have a tendency to be cheaper. Some places do have utilities included, but I have found very few that do as a whole.

If you're renting a place with a bunch of people, try and keep your numbers low. The more people you share a house with, it seems the more likely you will have conflicts.

I paid $383 for a five bedroom on King (in Westdale) plus utilities, $350 for a five bedroom on Broadway (behind Ginos) plus utilities, and am paying $575 plus internet for a basement apartment in Westdale. Depending on the place, the temperature outside and the number of people utilities (water, hydro, cable, phone) cost me between $80-150 per month (with the exception of this year, with phone and internet costing about $60).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Richa says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 12-18-2009 at 06:53 PM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Be sure to check out the off campus resource centre, they have lots of great info about making the transition to off campus living.

In general, you'll probably be better off getting a house- its cheaper and there are more options closer to campus. However, if you have the money and would rather have a bit more privacy, apartments are a great option.

Prices can vary a lot- I currently pay $425 a month (utilities included), and have 3 room mates. You'll also save a lot of money if you can get an 8 month lease instead of a 12 month one.

Richa says thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 12-20-2009 at 03:47 AM   #4
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I paid $383 for a five bedroom on King (in Westdale) plus utilities, $350 for a five bedroom on Broadway (behind Ginos) plus utilities, and am paying $575 plus internet for a basement apartment in Westdale. Depending on the place, the temperature outside and the number of people utilities (water, hydro, cable, phone) cost me between $80-150 per month (with the exception of this year, with phone and internet costing about $60).
ooo wow i do see the difference in price from house to appt style. Was there any specific reason for you to choose appt after 2 yrs in the house style? An do you know approximately how much internet is going to cost in house style?

Do you cook everyday..or is the mealplan still a partial support at times of need? (though at times I do get sick of eating the same campus food ovr and ovr again..I think it does have it's added advantage of not wasting time on a busy/lazy day )

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV