MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orgo Experience sycoman Academics 10 01-30-2010 01:28 AM
CA experience sycoman Residence & Housing 12 06-02-2009 09:16 PM
McMaster Graduate Studies Information Fair lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-21-2008 08:28 AM

Looking for information on people's experience at McMaster

Old 09-22-2007 at 10:24 AM   #1
isis2381ice

Liked: 0 Times

Looking for information on people's experience at McMaster
I’m currently at University in Australia and am considering going on a six month student exchange to Canada. McMaster University is one of my partnered Universities so I am considering attending this University whilst I will be in Canada. I’m just looking to get feedback on people’s experience’s at McMaster especially from those who lived on campus. All feedback will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for everyone’s opinions.
Old 09-22-2007 at 11:28 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Are you from U Wollagong? Or U Sydney (or somewhere else? I know Mac does exchanges with both of those schools)?

I ask because I became friends with a student from U Wollagong who was here last year for six months. I know he loooooved it here; and we're still in contact.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-22-2007 at 11:30 AM   #3
isis2381ice

Actually I'm from The University of Newcastle (which is about an hour and a half drive north of Sydney).
Old 09-22-2007 at 11:39 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Ah, I have heard of the school.

Generally, anyone who has been on exchange (be it to here from Europe, Britian or Australia, or those from here who go to other schools) have an amazing time.

If you're thinking about exchange, DO IT.

But what do you want to know about Mac specificially? Those of us who are still here (i.e. upper years), are here because we love it...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-22-2007 at 11:54 AM   #5
isis2381ice

Just what it's like living on campus and about the classes (class size, support network with teachers etc)...anything you can think of really.
Old 09-22-2007 at 01:00 PM   #6
madison817

I'm on the mac women's tennis team and last year one of the girls was an exchange student from France. she loved it, had a blast and really took up every opportunity to enjoy Canada (she travelled on weekends to Montreal and on holidays would fly out to the East or West coast). exchange programs are such a great opportunity!
Old 09-22-2007 at 01:15 PM   #7
isis2381ice

Awesome...I'll probably do my travelling before coming to Mac though as the semester finishes here at the end of June and then Mac doesn't start until September so I have two and a half months to do my travelling.
Old 09-23-2007 at 10:17 PM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Hi Isis! I'm so glad that you found MacInsiders! McMaster is a great university, and I think you'll really like it over here in Canada, I've heard Canada and Australia have many similarities.

What type of program are you taking in Australia and what would it translate to over here if you were to come to McMaster?

An Australian exchange student was in my program of Multimedia within the Humanities Faculty last semester named Andrew. He had a fantastic time, and became really close friends with myself and the rest of the Multimedia crew... partying with us and such. He had a fantastic time and wants to come back to Canada, loved the experience. So I sure hope you have a similar great time over here

I've been to England, New York, Boston, and a few other areas in the U.S., but really want to take a trip out to Australia some day once university wraps up.

Exchange program is an exciting and great way to travel and experience other countries and cultures, very smart move
Old 09-24-2007 at 12:51 AM   #9
isis2381ice

Awesome and thank you. I am doing a double degree (Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Teaching) and I'm pretty sure that it would be the same degree/s if I were doing them in Canada. I'd be doing History classes though in Canada as I am unable to do Canadian teaching units and History is my major.
Old 09-24-2007 at 10:02 AM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Indeed, I only know of one school in Ontario that does concurrent teaching, so unfortunately you'd just be "stuck" taking history if you were here.

Reasons I came to Mac: the campus is sooo pretty (especially when the leaves change as well as in late april/may). an excellent academic reputation, and overall it felt right for me to be here.

Old 09-25-2007 at 02:29 AM   #11
isis2381ice

cool, thanks for letting me know