chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

so what did the last week accomplish?
Old 11-10-2009 at 01:34 AM   #17
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
We can get on the GO - where it's supposed to be!
I even made a song in celebration.
We can also use this song for our celebration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwEMxYggoKQ

Celebration by Kool & The Gang:drinki ng14: Awesome song and so perfect for the end of TA strike.
Old 11-10-2009 at 08:10 AM   #18
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Strike fail...

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 11-10-2009 at 08:57 AM   #19
tmtoulouse

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy89 View Post
so what did the last week accomplish?
It inconvenienced every person on campus as 20 odd students held hostage the whole university.

It cost a lot of people a lot of time.

It cost a lot of people a lot of money.

It demonstrated for a second bargaining round in a row that CUPE is completely out of touch with the majority of its membership.

CUPE finally learned about their own by laws such as the clause that let members call for the ratification vote.

It demonstrated that when democratic action is allowed that the majority can win if they keep their voices loud.

I personally learned that Sid Ryan is as big, if not a bigger, douchebag than he appeared to be.

I am sure there is more.....
Old 11-10-2009 at 09:16 AM   #20
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

This is what it allegedly accomplished (at least in the minds of those chugging the Kool-Aid):
Quote:
We truly believe that there is far more positive to take away from this experience than there is negative. For one, we KNOW the University administration noticed us! The Union is truly stronger than ever, and we cannot be dismissed. We have a voice that is speaking for not only our own members, but for all of the members of the McMaster community in a way that has been truly absent. This voice is not absent any longer, and we’re looking forward to being louder and stronger than ever in the days, weeks, months and years to come.

The years of this contract are going to be years of significant change at Mac. We’ve got a new President arriving, SEIU and CAW (who you may have seen on our lines!) will be negotiating collective agreements, as will our own Sessional Faculty. The post-secondary sector is facing challenges in access and funding. CUPE 3906 has in the last months and weeks established itself as a leader – thanks to you! – and we can continue to build on that strength.
Read the rest here: http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.c...ous-picketers/

Also make sure to check out the comments on this post: http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.c...vote/#comments

HILARIOUS!
Old 11-10-2009 at 09:18 AM   #21
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
This is what it allegedly accomplished (at least in the minds of those chugging the Kool-Aid):
Read the rest here: http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.c...ous-picketers/

Also make sure to check out the comments on this post: http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.c...vote/#comments

HILARIOUS!
I just read all this myself... it's absolutely incredible that these people can still go on believing what they do. It reminds me of something I learned in Social Psychology, where members of doomsday cults don't change their beliefs when the doomsday prophecy fails.

DannyV says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 11-10-2009 at 09:21 AM   #22
DannyV
Elite Member

The level indoctrination is scary.

I guess now we see what happens if workhorses make up their own minds rather than letting the pigs at the top tell them what they should believe. (I'm not calling union leaders pigs per se, it's an Animal Farm reference; look it up if you don't believe me)

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-10-2009 at 09:39 AM   #23
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

It is my understanding that in this situation it is standard for the executive to resign and a new one be voted in.

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-10-2009 at 09:50 AM   #24
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
And no more TA bashing!

Please?

We've shown that we didn't want this after all. Now you can go back to liking us again.
Yes please indeed. ): It's a bit difficult to put the same passion into TAing when I'd keep hearing about how greedy and crappy I was. (Well except Stefanie, who would throw in gems like "I'd buy my TA coffee if I knew they liked it" which made me wish I had some appreciative kids xD)

------------

I'm just glad I got through scabbing the strike without a scratch...my girlfriend was like, overly paranoid, thinking I'd get beaten up and stuff. She took the threats more seriously than I did, haha.

michelle says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 11-10-2009 at 10:45 AM   #25
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Yes please indeed. ): It's a bit difficult to put the same passion into TAing when I'd keep hearing about how greedy and crappy I was. (Well except Stefanie, who would throw in gems like "I'd buy my TA coffee if I knew they liked it" which made me wish I had some appreciative kids xD)

------------

I'm just glad I got through scabbing the strike without a scratch...my girlfriend was like, overly paranoid, thinking I'd get beaten up and stuff. She took the threats more seriously than I did, haha.

Mowicz you're a great TA, you mark our assignments before the next class. That is bleary amazing. Now if my other classes could be that fast.....
Old 11-10-2009 at 02:08 PM   #26
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Those comments are hilarious!

DannyV likes this.
Old 11-10-2009 at 02:19 PM   #27
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Holy shit!
NO WAY.

I would have never seen this coming.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-10-2009 at 06:44 PM   #28
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

My favourite comment:

"This is disgusting!

I swear non-Soc Sci TA’s have no clue what they are voting on! What the bargainning team has worked so hard to get for you guys and fight for you have just given up!

Say goodbye to any labour type movement at McMaster as long as you Science, Engineering and especially Commerce TA’s are part of Cupe 3906 Unit 1!"
Old 11-10-2009 at 06:52 PM   #29
DannyV
Elite Member

I'm particularly fond of
Quote:
I finally understand the tyranny of the majority.
A majority that does not know how to look at the SALARY rather than hourly wage.
A majority that does not look at the cost of living and hours spent as 1. a student, and 2. an employee, and can not figure out a proper analysis of the situation
A majority who can not recognize the worker-student relationship
A majority that cries ’shutup’ when there is any disturbance to their daily life
A majority who do not understand the worth or importance of something that does not relate to THEIR immediate needs, or future.
A majority who does not want to be told how to vote, yet voted EXACTLY as the university wanted, and explicitly stated.
Thank you majority. You have validated my faith in people. Congratulations.
JS
But the reply to this comment comes in close second
Quote:
Curious that the democratic defeat of the will of the CUPE executive – supporting an untenable leftist agenda – should come 20 years to the day following the dismantling of the last symbol of communism in central Europe, the Berlin Wall.
A bit of hyperbole? Perhaps, but amusing nonetheless.

Truly, if such comparisons are possible then the tyrannical reign of CUPE 3906 over McMaster is far worse than I feared.
I’m deliriously happy for you that no longer shall you have to live in fear of the midnight tap on the door by the apparatchiks of CUPE 3906’s secret police force, to be hauled off to rot indefinitely in Stalinist gulags. You who have known the inconvenience of traversing picket lines during the strike have truly tasted the bitterness of those who lived in the shadow of the Wall, and it is the beautiful fruit of democracy that your right to make even the most asinine comparisons will no longer be curtailed by CUPE 3906’s blanket control of all media. Sic semper tyrannis and all hail the glorious new day!
Ah the drama!

BlakeM, Maegs, malycknm, Taunton like this.
Old 11-10-2009 at 07:11 PM   #30
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

"Trent – I assume you are the same Trent who was quoted in the Spectator the other day saying that for you personally, the deal wasn’t bad. What about the hundreds of TA’s, your fellow grad students, for whom this deal is vary bad? Are you completely incapable of seeing anything beyond your own selfish outlook? I am so happy that you won’t be personally affected – that six hundred dollars in salary we all stand to lose this year, however, represents a very real 3 months worth of groceries for me, and I am not alone in this. Are you and everybody else who voted ‘yes’ just because they didn’t stand to lose personally going to help the rest of us out as our salaries continually drop and the cost of living rises? No? I didn’t think so."

What I want to know is, how is this guy spending $200 a month on groceries. I spend $50 maximum, and that's with me having to pay extra for Soy Milk, Vegetarian meats, etc.