MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i lost Chevalier Gaming 20 09-11-2011 07:07 PM
I LOST MY KEY, MAC ID, etc... sagar35 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-19-2010 05:53 PM
nervous and Lost. clouds First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 09-06-2010 02:51 PM
Chinese Kitten Killer! :S huzaifa47 General Discussion 28 07-30-2009 08:22 AM
Lost Kitten AlchemistX General Discussion 87 06-29-2009 10:31 AM

Lost Kitten

Old 01-07-2012 at 10:20 PM   #31
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Hope you find him. I'd suggest you find out where he's sneaking out and fix it. Or leave him at home/parent's house/etc, if you can't pay enough attention to keep him from getting in trouble.
Old 01-08-2012 at 12:58 AM   #32
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Mass gassing is the preferred method of euthanasia because it is low-cost. Is the cat neutered? An unneutered male would be a strong candidate for euthanasia. I have an inside source on this information (a director in a rescue organization).

As for the lease bit, when I considered moving in somewhere, the lease I was presented clearly stated "No aminals except for working animals (e.g. certified guide dogs)." It eneded up not effecting me, as I chose to remain at home. Furthermore, regardless of the lease or any other legal statute regarding the possession of pets on the property in question, it is Heather's responsibility as the pet owner to maintain control o her cat's whereabouts and seek appropriate measures if this is difficult or impossible.

Stray/feral cats are a major problem in the Hamilon area and you should be aware that unneutered males are most likely to get lost. By seven months they have almost certainly reached sexual maturity, have the capability to produce viable sperm and will pursue the scent of a female in heat. Since cats navigate by smell much more than other senses (unlike dogs, who better synthesize a full range of sensory information), cats that wonder a very short distance from their home often cannot find their way back.

Finally, you need to be made aware of two common diseases that stray/feral cats can contract easily: feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV, the feline equivalent of HIV essentially). FeLV is highly contagious between cats and most commonly transfers through saliva and other fluids. Street cats will groom each other, allowing for viral transmission. If you have other cats, it can be spread through the sharing of food, water and litter boxes. FIV, while dangerous, is not often as contagious and often requires a bite wound to transmit.

All this said, once your cat has been found, it should be tested for and vaccinated against these two diseases. While the efficacy of the FIV vaccine is high, be aware that the FeLV vaccine is only effective approximately two-thirds of the time. Therefore, if your cat tests positive for FeLV in particular, it should not be allowed to contact other cats UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. As for FIV, ask your vet.

My family is currently in care of four stray cats (it was five, but one kitten was adopted out through a qualified agency on New Years Eve), one of which has FeLV and was diagnosed with FIV this week. The cat has been in isolation under strict orders from our vet and has NOT been invited to mingle with the other four, now three.

All of the medical information I have provided has come from my vet's notes, but you should consult a vet regardless of what you think of this immediately after the cat is found.

All the best.
Old 01-08-2012 at 10:01 AM   #33
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alomar12 View Post
Mass gassing is the preferred method of euthanasia because it is low-cost. Is the cat neutered? An unneutered male would be a strong candidate for euthanasia. I have an inside source on this information (a director in a rescue organization)
I am the source of my information and the SPCA will not euthanize for this reason. Animals at the Hamilton SPCA are only euthanized if they are too sick or for some other reason they can't be adopted out. A healthy kitten will be adopted very fast at the SPCA, there would be no need to euthanize him. That's why there are rarely any kittens at the SPCA, because they are adopted out so quickly. There would be no need to euthanize such a prime candidate for adoption.
Perhaps euthanization is how it works in the rescue organization where your "source" is from, but that's not how it happens here.

Even when vets use gas to euthanize, they do not do "mass" killings. They use an individual mask, similar to the ones used at dentists to give laughing gas.
Old 01-08-2012 at 11:43 AM   #34
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:

As for the lease bit, when I considered moving in somewhere, the lease I was presented clearly stated "No aminals except for working animals (e.g. certified guide dogs)." It eneded up not effecting me, as I chose to remain at home.
Regardless of whether or not this statement was in your lease, you would have been allowed pets. The law overrides what is in the lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I am the source of my information and the SPCA will not euthanize for this reason. Animals at the Hamilton SPCA are only euthanized if they are too sick or for some other reason they can't be adopted out. A healthy kitten will be adopted very fast at the SPCA, there would be no need to euthanize him. That's why there are rarely any kittens at the SPCA, because they are adopted out so quickly. There would be no need to euthanize such a prime candidate for adoption.
Perhaps euthanization is how it works in the rescue organization where your "source" is from, but that's not how it happens here.

Even when vets use gas to euthanize, they do not do "mass" killings. They use an individual mask, similar to the ones used at dentists to give laughing gas.
Animal control and the SPCA are different--animal control will euthanize after three days if they can't find somewhere else to put the animal. Different organizations have different amounts of resources and thus different procedures.
Old 01-08-2012 at 12:43 PM   #35
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Animal control and the SPCA are different--animal control will euthanize after three days if they can't find somewhere else to put the animal. Different organizations have different amounts of resources and thus different procedures.
Animal Control and SPCA work together for lost/found animals. Lost/found animals go to Animal Control and are held for three days for the owner to claim them. If they aren't claimed in those 3 days, they are given to the SPCA to spay/neuter and put up for adoption. If the animal is unable to be given for adoption (too old, sick, etc), the SPCA gives them to foster families or sanctuaries (this is usually done more with dogs than cats) to live out their lives. Only at the very last resort, if all those options are full, they are euthanized. You can call the SPCA or Animal Control and ask if you want to verify this.
Old 01-08-2012 at 12:49 PM   #36
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Animal Control and SPCA work together for lost/found animals. Lost/found animals go to Animal Control and are held for three days for the owner to claim them. If they aren't claimed in those 3 days, they are given to the SPCA to spay/neuter and put up for adoption. If the animal is unable to be given for adoption (too old, sick, etc), the SPCA gives them to foster families or sanctuaries (this is usually done more with dogs than cats) to live out their lives. Only at the very last resort, if all those options are full, they are euthanized. You can call the SPCA or Animal Control and ask if you want to verify this.
My source was actually their website--
Quote:
The Hamilton/Burlington SPCA is a private, not-for-profit animal welfare organization dedicated to the prevention of cruelty to animals, the rescue and adoption of homeless pets, providing support to keep pets in loving homes, and the development of respect, compassion and empathy for every living creature. You may visit their website at www.hbspca.com for more information and a list of their animals available for adoption.
Animals that are unable to go to the HBSPCA for adoption are then assessed to ensure they are adoptable based on their temperment, behaviour and health. Following a successful assessment, they are offered to Rescue Organizations to be re-homed. Many of these rescue organizations are non-profit, charitable groups that are primarily run by volunteers that spend a great deal of their free time finding forever homes for these unwanted pets. The majority of the rescue organizations that we work with can be found on www.petfinder.com as well as the animals they currently have available for adoption.
Without these adoption programs, many of the animals that come into Hamilton Animal Services would not have the opportunity to find the forever homes they deserve. Even with the HBSPCA and Rescue Organizations, many of the animals that come through our shelter do not have the chance to be placed in an adoption program due to the overwhelming numbers of stray, unclaimed and unwanted animals. Unfortunately the outcome for many of these animals is euthanasia.

So, if animal control can't find another place for the animals after three days (another place could be the SPCA, or an alternative shelter), the animals are euthanized--which is what I said before.

Source: http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartmen...ionProgram.htm
Old 01-08-2012 at 02:10 PM   #37
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
My source was actually their website--

So, if animal control can't find another place for the animals after three days (another place could be the SPCA, or an alternative shelter), the animals are euthanized--which is what I said before.

Source: http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartmen...ionProgram.htm
Yes, and the odds of that happening are incredibly unlikely - which is why I replied to Alomar, who said the cat would be euthanized if not claimed in 3 days. That is the information which is incorrect. The SPCA and Animal Control very rarely euthanize due to space issues. You can call and ask their numbers. The odds of this seemingly healthy kitten being euthanized is very, very unlikely. I don't believe Animal Control even has a facility to do euthanisia. After 3 days, animals are given to the SPCA - not euthanized.
Old 01-08-2012 at 02:16 PM   #38
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:

As for the lease bit, when I considered moving in somewhere, the lease I was presented clearly stated "No aminals except for working animals (e.g. certified guide dogs)." It eneded up not effecting me, as I chose to remain at home. Furthermore, regardless of the lease or any other legal statute regarding the possession of pets on the property in question, it is Heather's responsibility as the pet owner to maintain control o her cat's whereabouts and seek appropriate measures if this is difficult or impossible.

A "NO PETS ALLOWED" rule on the lease, even if it is written on the lease, and signed by the lessee is void, and not back up by the RTA (residential tenancy act)

http://www.ontariotenants.ca /law/act02.phtml

You are technically not allowed to move in with your pet, however, once you do move in and get a pet, they cannot evict you for having a pet or for breaking the no pet rule.
Old 01-08-2012 at 05:44 PM   #39
Alomar12

Regardless of the decision to euthanize or not, the outcome is typically not good for the cat, especially nowadays when adoption centres are straining under ehavy burden and poor funding. Perhaps the lease I was shown did have a legal flaw, but the point of my news which should be taken most is that about FeLV and FIV. Once teh cat is found, by any individual or organization, thi is a major concern.
Old 01-08-2012 at 11:13 PM   #40
roonitoons

Liked: 1 Time

Hello everyone. In regards to all of the comments, I live in a student house with 7 other house mates... unfortunately, there is a lot of traffic coming in and out, and Kobe often sits at the front door waiting for an unsuspecting guest to crack it open for a chance to escape. Usually, we are able to chase after him and bring him back inside, but sometimes he runs off too far, and he returns within an hour or 2. He just likes to go outside and explore, but he`s extremely friendly and has a tendency to follow people around after they`ve pet him.
Alomar - he has all of his vaccines, yet has not been neutered yet. My landlord has not forbade us from having pets, and my room mates all love him and miss him dearly!
I put up signs today all over Sterling and Westdale, and have gotten several messages from people who saw him Tuesday and Wednesday... I`m hoping someone took him inside and has been caring for him since then. I will definitely call all local animal shelters and the SPCA in the morning
Thanks everyone for all of your help, input, and advice! I`ll update you if we hear any news or if we find him!
- Heather

alyssarr likes this.
Old 01-09-2012 at 10:31 AM   #41
Alomar12

Alomar - he has all of his vaccines, yet has not been neutered yet. My landlord has not forbade us from having pets, and my room mates all love him and miss him dearly!
I put up signs today all over Sterling and Westdale, and have gotten several messages from people who saw him Tuesday and Wednesday... I`m hoping someone took him inside and has been caring for him since then. I will definitely call all local animal shelters and the SPCA in the morning
Thanks everyone for all of your help, input, and advice! I`ll update you if we hear any news or if we find him!
- Heather[/quote]

Do those include vaccines for FIV and FeLV? Those are not typically part of a basic vaccine regimen. Regardless after being lost, especially for the length of time that you have implied, I would certainly get him tested for FeLV. The most basic test can be done on site in the vet's office for a minimal fee. Here is some information. http://www.moorevet.com/Feline/FeLV.html

Also get him neutered ASAP as he is a sexually mature cat and would unknowingly contribute to the stray and feral cat problems. Also, doing that would reduce his risk of becoming lost upon escape.

All the best.