MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I get the Macpass or not? is welcome week really fun? make lots of friends?? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-25-2010 11:44 PM
Lots of pool and definitely lots of beer! lawleypop General Discussion 5 01-15-2010 04:56 PM
Computers / Parts for sale.. LOTS kevinf Gaming 0 10-05-2009 08:57 PM
The How To: Killing Time When You Have Lots of it ferreinm Misc 6 01-01-2009 10:59 PM

Lots of questions

Old 08-15-2011 at 06:21 PM   #1
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

Lots of questions
Hey,

I'm kind of confused about somethings so someone can hopefully help me out.

1) Can I e-mail a department to ask them to open a seat for me in a class if there is no conflict in my timetable and I want to change the C/L/T for time convenience (I prefer morning classes to ones in the evening)

2) For laundry what kind of detergent does everyone use and we have to bring it right? Are the washing machines top load or front load. I'm living in LP by the way. Also do people bring dryer sheets or fabric softener liquid?

3) For ironing there's an iron and board provided right?

4) For vacuuming is there one I can borrow in my building without having to go to Keyes?

5)For summer school how do lectures, labs and tutorials work? How many hours of class do we have in a week? I'm interested in Orgo specifically.

6) On the payment agreement if I select full payment and I am receiving OSAP how would payment work and what method would I use to pay the money? The flex plan with OSAP means I would have to pay additional interest right? (This is why I want to do the full payment)

7) I have a Scotiabank debit card so are there Scotiabank ATMs on campus where I ca withdraw money? I don't want to pay the extra charge by withdrawing money from another bank's ATM.

8)Regarding the sessional average that is calculated, how would a pass/fail course affect this. I'm assuming it have no effect. I'm asking because I know there are certain awards given to people who attain a certain average, so will taking a pass/fail course in any way affect my eligibility for them?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011 at 06:27 PM   #2
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

5)For summer school how do lectures, labs and tutorials work? How many hours of class do we have in a week? I'm interested in Orgo specifically.

I just took CHEM 1A03 and CHEM 1AA3 in summer school.

There was a lab every week and a tutorial every week. In regular school there is usually a lab every other week and the tutorial is every other week as well. Lectures for CHEM 1A03 and Chem 1AA3 were 3 hours in length each, and there were 2 classes a week.

Galleria says thanks to Jason036 for this post.
Old 08-15-2011 at 06:33 PM   #3
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

A) Prob not, I would try and post on fb or mac insiders to ask for a switch
B) Bring detergent and laundry sheets
C)yes
D) You borrow from keyes or commons depending where you are
E) 2 3 hour classes and a 3 hour lab I believe
F) OSAP PLAN-
G) no just CIBC
H) No effect

Galleria says thanks to MCHEDDENITE for this post.
Old 08-15-2011 at 07:01 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleria View Post
Hey,

I'm kind of confused about somethings so someone can hopefully help me out.

1) Can I e-mail a department to ask them to open a seat for me in a class if there is no conflict in my timetable and I want to change the C/L/T for time convenience (I prefer morning classes to ones in the evening)

2) For laundry what kind of detergent does everyone use and we have to bring it right? Are the washing machines top load or front load. I'm living in LP by the way. Also do people bring dryer sheets or fabric softener liquid?

3) For ironing there's an iron and board provided right?

4) For vacuuming is there one I can borrow in my building without having to go to Keyes?

6) On the payment agreement if I select full payment and I am receiving OSAP how would payment work and what method would I use to pay the money? The flex plan with OSAP means I would have to pay additional interest right? (This is why I want to do the full payment)

7) I have a Scotiabank debit card so are there Scotiabank ATMs on campus where I ca withdraw money? I don't want to pay the extra charge by withdrawing money from another bank's ATM.

8)Regarding the sessional average that is calculated, how would a pass/fail course affect this. I'm assuming it have no effect. I'm asking because I know there are certain awards given to people who attain a certain average, so will taking a pass/fail course in any way affect my eligibility for them?

Thanks!
1. You can try, but I doubt they would.
2. Bring your own detergent and softener. They are regular machines by the way (meaning NOT he)
3. Yes.
4. Only Keyes and Commons has vacuums, you can also bring your own if you wish. The majority of students only vacuum at the end of the year though.
5. I believe they are two 2-3 hours slots for lectures. Not sure about labs, probably weekly though. You can check last years courses: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
6. You can choose to use OSAP as a payment option, it'll auto-deduct your first instalment from your total fees. Then you just pay the rest if you are paying in full. They give you a payment schedule for any payment plan you follow. You can pay by interac, online banking, cheque... probably missing other payment types. Just read through the payment agreement. And yes, interest on all oustanding balances compounded monthly at the end of each month.
7. Only no-name ATMs and CIBC ATMs on campus. Don't know where Scotiabank is, just do a google maps search.
8. Not sure about this, you would have to contact financial aid for specific information.

Galleria says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-16-2011 at 10:35 AM   #5
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

I'm going to answer #1 from personal experience: yes! I have gotten into elective courses by emailing the department undergraduate advisor. I have gotten into multiple anthro courses by doing so, but I have also been rejected from getting into a philosophy course I needed :(

See, some departments keep a certain number of seats for their own students and the rest for other faculties. Since I am in science a wanted to take a non-science elective, the course I requested had all their 'for science student' seats filled up, but their own seats had not filled up yet so they gave me one of those upon request. If they have available seats, they might give you one if you ask!