MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[urgent] "account is full (quota exceeded)" email problem WekSos Academics 3 07-06-2010 11:33 AM
When is Deferred Exam Grade Release? islytt Academics 1 06-24-2010 07:09 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

"Mac president George expensed $200,000 in 32 months"

Old 10-28-2010 at 09:05 PM   #16
madBiologist

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakattack View Post
I think its worse that Pether said he’s “perfectly comfortable” with the expenses claimed and he believes they are appropriate, given McMaster’s global reach. Its one thing to do it, and another thing to watch it happen, not do anything and agree to what has happened ; \ (unless i read that wrong)

I personally hope that some of my tuition $$$ went toward buying this guy a wheelbarrow to carry his massive ball$ around in.

Seriously, I know I'm going to be paying through the nose anywhere I go to school, I couldn't care less if $6 of my yearly tuition goes toward his pension. If I had a virtually unlimited budget account you can damn well guarantee I wouldn't be sitting here on my 8 year old, 60 GB hard drive HP desktop and eating Wal-Mart brand cookies.
Old 10-28-2010 at 09:25 PM   #17
lux

Liked: 318 Times

devil's advocate
Consider this guys, most CEOs make well over 6-7 figures a year so 200k for someone that runs a top university is quite reasonable, and if you've ever read his job description, it's a lot of stuff considering he has to work 7 days a week, for hours without seeing his daughter. I'm just sayin.
Old 10-28-2010 at 09:50 PM   #18
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Consider this guys, most CEOs make well over 6-7 figures a year so 200k for someone that runs a top university is quite reasonable, and if you've ever read his job description, it's a lot of stuff considering he has to work 7 days a week, for hours without seeing his daughter. I'm just sayin.
He made over $500k per year in base salary, plus the $100k bonus payout per year for 14 years, plus a $300k / year pension for life, plus benefits such as a personal health spending account of $20k plus the $200k expensed discussed above. The way I add that up its more like $750k / year in compensation. Compare that to the Prime Minister, who makes a woeful $317,574 / year running a public enterprise that has $280 billion per year in expenditures. Peter George was also the highest paid university president in Canada, higher that U of T, higher than McGill, higher than UBC. All of the aforementioned schools are much larger with significantly larger budgets than McMaster.

I have no doubt that the job description requires a significant amount of responsibility, however the compensation being paid out was above other comparable positions. When the president is at the top end of the pay scale in Canada, but other employees (starting faculty for example) are paid well below the average in Ontario, there's something wrong with the distribution of the payroll.
Old 10-28-2010 at 09:52 PM   #19
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Presidents, CEOs, people on Boards of Directors, yada yada are also paid to assume liability in many cases. When shit hits the fan, they're responsible. Up to and including jail time. So, they are paid accordingly.
Old 10-29-2010 at 12:57 PM   #20
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

I can't say that the expenses are justifiable here, but Peter George was a pretty damn good President. McMaster is still in one piece and we haven't had some of the problems that other schools have had (helloooooo York labour strike.)
Old 10-29-2010 at 01:50 PM   #21
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Where's the dislike button when you need one?

dsahota likes this.
Old 10-29-2010 at 04:12 PM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

He walked past me once at DBAC. I was simotaneously excited and pissed off at the same time

I don't know the entirety of this situation and what specifically he does so I'm not gonna say any more than: McMaster is a business, and he's paid for his services based on his interpersonal skills, academic credentials, and prestige.. he's a particular commodity that helps the school operate in a certain way so its tough to say that that money wasn't well spent.
Old 10-29-2010 at 06:37 PM   #23
sayok8737

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
it's a lot of stuff considering he has to work 7 days a week, for hours without seeing his daughter. I'm just sayin.
sorry this just really bothered me. people have parents who work 7 days a week but they don't sit on their asses or travel 1st class and spend thousands of dollar on a 7 day trip, and they don't get to see their children either...just saying.
Old 10-29-2010 at 11:37 PM   #24
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvAJYkqSFdg

Look what i found. A short of Peter George =]

btw, i'm not saying he deserves everything he received. I'm just trying to say that regardless of what he made (and mind you he doesn't mind transparency), he's still a nice guy who made mac what it is today.

Last edited by lux : 10-29-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2010 at 11:52 PM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayok8737 View Post
sorry this just really bothered me. people have parents who work 7 days a week but they don't sit on their asses or travel 1st class and spend thousands of dollar on a 7 day trip, and they don't get to see their children either...just saying.
Well, it's not exactly impressive to arrive in economy class, stay at cheap hotels and eat the local stuff when you're representing the university.

This guy has to give the impression that McMaster is srsbzns all over the world.

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 10-30-2010 at 01:00 AM   #26
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Question: How much did he bring into the school in the way of new sponsorships?
Old 10-30-2010 at 01:46 AM   #27
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

that's just wonderful