MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving from Waterloo to Hamilton mustafa Residence & Housing 2 08-30-2010 08:40 AM
Summer School at university of waterloo? andrew22 Academics 0 04-11-2010 01:17 PM
Getting from mcmaster to university of waterloo? killza Automotive & Transportation 9 02-21-2010 08:17 PM
Welcome Week Football Game Opener: McMaster vs Waterloo Chad MacInsiders Announcements 12 09-07-2009 07:49 AM
mcmaster/hamilton to university of waterloo shleyaa General Discussion 5 11-24-2008 02:07 PM

Mac VS Waterloo - Which Is Better?

Old 05-24-2011 at 09:01 AM   #1
nikhil38

Liked: 0 Times

Mac VS Waterloo - Which Is Better?
I took Physical Science Co Op for Mcmaster and Waterloo.

I heard that Waterloo has a better co-op program. Is that true?

Can you please give me a comparison between both of these universities co-op programs?
Old 05-24-2011 at 09:13 AM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil38 View Post
I took Physical Science Co Op for Mcmaster and Waterloo.

I heard that Waterloo has a better co-op program. Is that true?

Can you please give me a comparison between both of these universities co-op programs?
You'll obviously get a biased opinion here on a Mac forum...

Edit: The following is in relation to our engineering department... hope it's still somewhat useful!

Mac has a far more social engineering faculty, less in competition and more "all in this together" attitude, which is far less stressful.

From what I hear
Waterloo is far more isolated and competitive.

Waterloo's co-op program IS far better than Mac's. I believe you are required to work all summers there (or something really high like that). I have never used Mac's system because you pay them 150$/year and do nothing for you: you have to find all the jobs yourself (I never could).

So, up to you what kind of experience you want from your university... I think the co-op issue isn't too big a deal compared to the overall social experience I thoroughly enjoyed.

Last edited by micadjems : 05-24-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2011 at 09:17 AM   #3
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

For science co-op, you don't apply to the co-op program until after second year. You'll spend your first two years just doing classes as if you were in a regular program. In second year you complete a once-a-week pass/fail course, Science 2C00, that will teach you proper resume writing and interviewing skills.

As for after that... I haven't gotten there yet, I just got accepted to my co-op program :p
Old 05-24-2011 at 09:33 AM   #4
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

mac has a better physics department.
Old 05-24-2011 at 10:02 AM   #5
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

You're posing this question to Mac students... of course we're going to say Mac is better! lol Just saying.

Cliu91 likes this.
Old 05-24-2011 at 10:04 AM   #6
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Jackie's right, you're going to get biased opinion.

In short, if you want a guaranteed co-op job, go to Waterloo. Otherwise, if you're a big fan of scenery, definitely go to Mac.

On and congratulations on becoming an Alumni, Jackie!

micadjems says thanks to Bhaltair for this post.

Old 05-24-2011 at 10:29 AM   #7
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I think Waterloo's a better school overall. I'm only here because I didn't get into CS at Waterloo, and I just hated Toronto too much to apply to UofT...
Old 05-24-2011 at 10:31 AM   #8
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

If you want to do physics i would say head towards waterloo...if you are leaning towards chem I would say come to the hammer
Old 05-24-2011 at 12:36 PM   #9
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Waterloo without a doubt.

Old 05-24-2011 at 12:54 PM   #10
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Waterloo.

Don't come to mac. Its gone down the drain. If you want me to elaborate let me know.
Old 05-24-2011 at 12:59 PM   #11
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

my friend is in co-op Eng at Waterloo... i think its structural or something like that.... but basically in Waterloo you get started in co-op from year 1 and they help you out a lot in terms of actually finding and getting a job...

like i said my friend is in structural engineering and the job he has ( well i dont know what its called) but basically its for the city of Toronto, and he goes along with the people who inspect the roads and see what needs fixing. so far hes been on the job for 3 weeks, he hasn't done anything but just lounge around, and is making 17$ an hour..

- of course this isn't typical, i guess if your lucky ull get a job like this but the main thing is that Waterloo helped him a lot in getting the job and he enjoys the program quite a lot...

in terms of competitiveness i would think Waterloo would be quite competitive, but at the same time it depends on how you are, my friend is very sociable and as such doesn't see it as being a competition, he's made lots of friends in his program and they work together on lots of assignments and projects.

anyways that's the other side of the story from someone who goes to Waterloo ( though im sure he has got a bias towards Waterloo too so yea..)

also post #300
Old 05-24-2011 at 01:58 PM   #12
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Here's my opinion: The co-op programs are neither better or worse, objectively.

Mac's co-op is not mandatory, and does not follow mandatory work patterns. You can do 3 x 4month terms in your summers, or you can do 1x 4 month and 1x 8 mnth term, or you can do 1x 12 or 1x 16 month internship... Up to you. Key point is, for the vast majority of McMaster's co-op program, you are not separated from our engineering peers in two different streams, which really does create two very different social circles (if you're in Waterloo Stream A, or B, you may never get to know people in the other stream).

Mac students get jobs in the same places that waterloo students get jobs, so it's hard to justify saying that Waterloo co-op is better... It is very easy to justify that the social side of McMaster's Engineering program is larger and more involved... Up to you to decide whether you're in school to focus on school only, or if you're life has any sort of balance to it...
Old 05-24-2011 at 02:17 PM   #13
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Here's my opinion: The co-op programs are neither better or worse, objectively.

Mac's co-op is not mandatory, and does not follow mandatory work patterns. You can do 3 x 4month terms in your summers, or you can do 1x 4 month and 1x 8 mnth term, or you can do 1x 12 or 1x 16 month internship... Up to you. Key point is, for the vast majority of McMaster's co-op program, you are not separated from our engineering peers in two different streams, which really does create two very different social circles (if you're in Waterloo Stream A, or B, you may never get to know people in the other stream).

Mac students get jobs in the same places that waterloo students get jobs, so it's hard to justify saying that Waterloo co-op is better... It is very easy to justify that the social side of McMaster's Engineering program is larger and more involved... Up to you to decide whether you're in school to focus on school only, or if you're life has any sort of balance to it...
That seems to be really true for Engineering, but not necessarily for the program the poster is asking about. I have a few friends at Waterloo in Physics programs who say their program is pretty small and therefore close-knit. They also have really awesome co-op jobs. I'm jealous.

I don't know much about their Chemistry program though, because I don't know anyone in it.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-24-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2011 at 03:56 PM   #14
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
Waterloo.

Don't come to mac. Its gone down the drain. If you want me to elaborate let me know.
Elaborate please.
Old 05-24-2011 at 04:19 PM   #15
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

Good luck finding a WatInsiders. And if you do I hope it has a better name... xD