MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving from Waterloo to Hamilton mustafa Residence & Housing 2 08-30-2010 08:40 AM
Summer School at university of waterloo? andrew22 Academics 0 04-11-2010 01:17 PM
Getting from mcmaster to university of waterloo? killza Automotive & Transportation 9 02-21-2010 08:17 PM
Welcome Week Football Game Opener: McMaster vs Waterloo Chad MacInsiders Announcements 12 09-07-2009 07:49 AM
mcmaster/hamilton to university of waterloo shleyaa General Discussion 5 11-24-2008 02:07 PM

Mac VS Waterloo - Which Is Better?

Old 05-24-2011 at 09:17 PM   #31
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
Well crap. I was accepted into both Mac and UW and i chose Mac. Does anyone else regret choosing/going to Mac over UW? >_>
Mac is fine, just dont expect coop till 3rd year

adaptation says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 05-24-2011 at 09:20 PM   #32
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Well crap. I was accepted into both Mac and UW and i chose Mac. Does anyone else regret choosing/going to Mac over UW? >_>
The only fear I have regarding McMaster is the co-op placement like I said before. According to people though, which makes sense, if you nail the interview and actually know what you're talking about, you will get the placement.
Old 05-24-2011 at 09:22 PM   #33
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
The only fear I have regarding McMaster is the co-op placement like I said before. According to people though, which makes sense, if you nail the interview and actually know what you're talking about, you will get the placement.
Yea, but the problem at mcmaster unfortunately is getting that damn interview, lol. For the interviews I put effort into and studied, I got offers.
Old 05-24-2011 at 09:23 PM   #34
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

umm this is a mac forum so mac is better obv ...

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 05-24-2011 at 09:26 PM   #35
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Yea, but the problem at mcmaster unfortunately is getting that damn interview, lol. For the interviews I put effort into and studied, I got offers.
How exactly did you study for an interview you didn't have?
Old 05-24-2011 at 10:16 PM   #36
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
How exactly did you study for an interview you didn't have?
Huh?

/12char
Old 05-24-2011 at 10:24 PM   #37
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

I don't think you'll be needing co-op for physical sciences.
Old 05-24-2011 at 11:31 PM   #38
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

I've seen Mac on soooo many top 100 University lists... I've seen waterloo on... 1? I think it was the recent controversial article for % of Asian students.
Old 05-25-2011 at 12:00 AM   #39

Liked: 0 Times

does anyone if mac's social science (economics) is better than Western's and Waterloo's non co-op economics program?
Old 05-25-2011 at 12:00 AM   #40
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

This is ridiculous... I got a job at a company that is located literally down the street fom UW, and I was taking the position of a Waterloo co-op student. The company loved me. I was in the same grtade-range as the Waterloo student, and the one that took over for me afterwards (also Waterloo). So for all the posts saying it's harder to get a job from a Mac co-op point of view, maybe you can take a step back and look at the bigger picture? Maybe it's the largely shut-off competitiveness that puts some Waterloo students' marks higher than others from Mac, that lands them a job at some places? It's ridiculous... You're never GUARANTEED a job at Waterloo's co-op: You still have to go out and succeed in an interview. You still have to be able to perform socially and technically in order to be welcomed back to the job (which I was, from that company that typically highers various Waterloo students, hardly ever the same one over)... In the end, there's a lot of blaming the school you attend for your lack of job, but when it's between top-notch schools like Mac and Waterloo, it's really down to how you nail the interview: Are you the [email protected] technical/nerd employee that knows his/her stuff? Or are you the [email protected] employee that knows his/her stuff, how to apply it, and how to get along with your co-workers? Because I think we've all agreed that only Mac really gives the latter.

At the same time, I have many Waterloo friends, all involved with their EngSoc, and they all succeed like the latter... I just don't agree that they have the same attitude about getting more people involved. They work more along the lines of "If you want to get involved, you will; If you don't, we won't force you." and there are hundreds involved at Mac that wouldn't necessarily be involved if there wasn't that extra bit of excitement and spirit about it all.

Last edited by mike_302 : 05-25-2011 at 12:04 AM.

tyrant likes this.
Old 05-25-2011 at 05:52 AM   #41
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
no, no one does. What made you choose Mac huh?

/I hope you aint a troll
Old 05-25-2011 at 02:53 PM   #42
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
That's definitely true. They also have a bigger name than McMaster does for math, most sciences, and engineering. I really regret not putting in more effort in high school and getting in to UW. McMaster might have a nicer campus and supposedly better student life, but Waterloo gives you the edge in the workforce when you're done school and looking to start your working career IMO...
[email protected] part
Old 05-25-2011 at 03:00 PM   #43
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Huh?

/12char
Never mind, I understood what you said above.
Old 05-25-2011 at 05:28 PM   #44
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
I don't think you'll be needing co-op for physical sciences.
It's useful for obtaining references and creating a really good network when you start to consider graduate school and research. You'll have people to back you up when you apply and you'll probably even get a better idea about what you want to do research in.

It'll also show you the kinds of jobs you could get after graduation, though I don't imagine many if you graduate with a physical science degree.
Old 05-25-2011 at 08:30 PM   #45
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
This is ridiculous... I got a job at a company that is located literally down the street fom UW, and I was taking the position of a Waterloo co-op student. The company loved me. I was in the same grtade-range as the Waterloo student, and the one that took over for me afterwards (also Waterloo). So for all the posts saying it's harder to get a job from a Mac co-op point of view, maybe you can take a step back and look at the bigger picture? Maybe it's the largely shut-off competitiveness that puts some Waterloo students' marks higher than others from Mac, that lands them a job at some places? It's ridiculous... You're never GUARANTEED a job at Waterloo's co-op: You still have to go out and succeed in an interview. You still have to be able to perform socially and technically in order to be welcomed back to the job (which I was, from that company that typically highers various Waterloo students, hardly ever the same one over)... In the end, there's a lot of blaming the school you attend for your lack of job, but when it's between top-notch schools like Mac and Waterloo, it's really down to how you nail the interview: Are you the [email protected] technical/nerd employee that knows his/her stuff? Or are you the [email protected] employee that knows his/her stuff, how to apply it, and how to get along with your co-workers? Because I think we've all agreed that only Mac really gives the latter.

At the same time, I have many Waterloo friends, all involved with their EngSoc, and they all succeed like the latter... I just don't agree that they have the same attitude about getting more people involved. They work more along the lines of "If you want to get involved, you will; If you don't, we won't force you." and there are hundreds involved at Mac that wouldn't necessarily be involved if there wasn't that extra bit of excitement and spirit about it all.
More companies post at Waterloo, and better ones too usually.