MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving from Waterloo to Hamilton mustafa Residence & Housing 2 08-30-2010 08:40 AM
Summer School at university of waterloo? andrew22 Academics 0 04-11-2010 01:17 PM
Getting from mcmaster to university of waterloo? killza Automotive & Transportation 9 02-21-2010 08:17 PM
Welcome Week Football Game Opener: McMaster vs Waterloo Chad MacInsiders Announcements 12 09-07-2009 07:49 AM
mcmaster/hamilton to university of waterloo shleyaa General Discussion 5 11-24-2008 02:07 PM

Mac VS Waterloo - Which Is Better?

Old 05-25-2011 at 08:48 PM   #46
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Post-schmost... Waterloo actively recruit companies to come to their school and hire from them... It's where a giant chunk of their tuition goes. I'll look for the companies I want to work for, and if it's one of those "better companies that posts and recruits from Waterloo" then so be it: It's not going to stop me from doing a unique interview and offering what I can from a McMaster education and experience.
Old 05-25-2011 at 09:01 PM   #47
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Post-schmost... Waterloo actively recruit companies to come to their school and hire from them... It's where a giant chunk of their tuition goes. I'll look for the companies I want to work for, and if it's one of those "better companies that posts and recruits from Waterloo" then so be it: It's not going to stop me from doing a unique interview and offering what I can from a McMaster education and experience.
Hmm, are you saying McMaster's coop program is as good as Waterloo's?

I feel you only truly see a decent amount of postings that you qualify for in 3rd year, atleast for us in ECE.
Old 05-25-2011 at 09:08 PM   #48
mike_302
Elite Member

I'm just saying that Waterloo HANDS its students co=op opportunities, because they pay for it. We don't pay for Mac to hand us opportunities. We can go out there and get the same jobs that they are spoon fed. Civil would be the same as ECE: Oscar jobs are for upper year students, because the amount of money we invest in our co-op here, allows the co-op office to provide upper year students with relevant jobs... We don't invest enough to hand jobs to 1st and 2nd year students.
Old 05-25-2011 at 09:41 PM   #49
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm just saying that Waterloo HANDS its students co=op opportunities, because they pay for it. We don't pay for Mac to hand us opportunities. We can go out there and get the same jobs that they are spoon fed. Civil would be the same as ECE: Oscar jobs are for upper year students, because the amount of money we invest in our co-op here, allows the co-op office to provide upper year students with relevant jobs... We don't invest enough to hand jobs to 1st and 2nd year students.
Agreed, they are spoon-fed jobs, but in the long run, it gives them more experience before graduating which unfortunately works against us.

We do pay technically, $100 or whatever it is every year, plus $300/4months term
Old 05-25-2011 at 10:05 PM   #50
mike_302
Elite Member

They most definitely pay a significant amount more to their co-op department. Mac Eng has the least amoutn invested in its co-op department/least coming from students.

And where those students may have a better experience in a job, in the long run, they have gained very little in actually finding/earning their own jobs.I think you'd agree that because Mac isn't spoon fed these jobs, any MAc student that goes out and gets his/her co-op in decent places of employment has gained much more than the guy/girl who went to hte waterloo co-op career fair/job fair with a suit and tie and a bunch of resumes.
Old 05-25-2011 at 10:18 PM   #51
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
They most definitely pay a significant amount more to their co-op department. Mac Eng has the least amoutn invested in its co-op department/least coming from students.

And where those students may have a better experience in a job, in the long run, they have gained very little in actually finding/earning their own jobs.I think you'd agree that because Mac isn't spoon fed these jobs, any MAc student that goes out and gets his/her co-op in decent places of employment has gained much more than the guy/girl who went to hte waterloo co-op career fair/job fair with a suit and tie and a bunch of resumes.
Yeah, I agree we do work harder and prepare better. 1 on 1 with a waterloo student, chances are higher probably to beat them in an interview. However, employeer's have a twisted view on Waterloo where their students are "better". Hope that changes for future generations.
Old 05-25-2011 at 10:22 PM   #52
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Agreed, they are spoon-fed jobs, but in the long run, it gives them more experience before graduating which unfortunately works against us.

We do pay technically, $100 or whatever it is every year, plus $300/4months term
Pretty sure Waterloo students pay 400-600 per 4 month term. So not that big of a difference in terms of cost overall.

Old 05-25-2011 at 10:29 PM   #53
mike_302
Elite Member

400-600 EVERY term (because their eng co-op cycles every 4-8 months) is significantly more than $100 for those in the co-op program, and $300 for those who used hte co-op office's services..... You could technically get away with only paying McMaster's co-op department $400 if you did a 12 or 16 mth internship.

crazyfree says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 05-25-2011 at 10:36 PM   #54
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
400-600 EVERY term (because their eng co-op cycles every 4-8 months) is significantly more than $100 for those in the co-op program, and $300 for those who used hte co-op office's services..... You could technically get away with only paying McMaster's co-op department $400 if you did a 12 or 16 mth internship.
Ah I see. I didn't understand it worked that way. I thought you basically paid 400 per every term in co-op. My bad

Old 05-25-2011 at 10:37 PM   #55
mike_302
Elite Member

No problem.
In fact, if you find your own job, it's only $225 you pay in total.
Old 05-26-2011 at 08:24 AM   #56
vazm4

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
You'll obviously get a biased opinion here on a Mac forum...

Edit: The following is in relation to our engineering department... hope it's still somewhat useful!

Mac has a far more social engineering faculty, less in competition and more "all in this together" attitude, which is far less stressful.

From what I hear Waterloo is far more isolated and competitive.

Waterloo's co-op program IS far better than Mac's. I believe you are required to work all summers there (or something really high like that). I have never used Mac's system because you pay them 150$/year and do nothing for you: you have to find all the jobs yourself (I never could).

So, up to you what kind of experience you want from your university... I think the co-op issue isn't too big a deal compared to the overall social experience I thoroughly enjoyed.

Actually the co-op at MAc sometimes will really help out, im cureentyl at my office at the job they helped me get. They give you access to a site which have companies that are looking specifically for your program. The fee is peanuts compared to the expperience in the field you get into and not to mention the cash you earn since this is a co-op job.!
Old 05-26-2011 at 08:28 AM   #57
vazm4

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:

The co-op at Mac does also help acquire jobs through Oscar for first and second year students as I just finished second year and am at my office which is a job I got through Oscar
Old 05-26-2011 at 09:17 AM   #58
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Typically at this time im at work and I just read and don't reply, but I have HAVE to reply to this.

You pay $300 for every 4 months you work, plus registration at the beginning of the year.

So, if you do a 16 month internship, it is:
$100 to access oscar
$300 months 1-4
$300 months 5-8
$300 months 9-12
$300 months 13-16

Therefore, $1300 for the full 16 months. More info here: http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/eccs/Coop..._reg_fees.html
Old 05-26-2011 at 09:45 AM   #59
mike_302
Elite Member

ahhhh, that's interesting. It was not presented to me in this way when I frist started asking, back in the day (which was a Wednesday, btw). Anyways, $1300 once, for a 16 mth internship? I'll make that in 2 weeks on the job: I'll take it. It's still significantly better than what Waterloo will charge you. And note: It's about half of that cost if you find the job yourself.