MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
What ever happened to MACCESS? scothoward General Discussion 5 09-25-2010 07:32 PM
Getting into MACCESS adnaanes Financial Aid 4 08-19-2010 03:22 PM
Earthquake shakes central Canada, U.S. lorend MacInsiders Announcements 17 06-24-2010 11:18 AM
McMaster Career Services launches all-new student blog: Water Cooler Gossip MPett Jobs & Employment Tips 0 11-10-2008 08:30 PM
Health Services at McMaster lorend MSU & On-Campus Services 0 08-09-2007 09:08 AM

MACCESS - Your new central hub for McMaster services!

MACCESS - Your new central hub for McMaster services!

New for you – MACCESS (maccess.mcmaster.ca) is a portal designed for students with the help of students. You’ll find it on-line and it’s designed to provide all major services (and some not so major) in one place. Sign on once and you’re in – you don’t have to sign in again for access to MUGSI, personal timetables, e-mail, grades and WebCT. You also get features like portable bookmarks, and a customizable RSS feed to keep you up to date. And, there will be more coming to MACCESS in the future.

Students contributed in a huge way to the development of the portal. In the summer of 2005 we did a survey of what you thought was important and over 6,000 students responded. We also held focus groups to get more information on how students wanted to use the portal. In the fall of 2006 we interviewed students in MUSC for feedback on the best way to organize the content in tabs. In 2007 we asked students to name the portal and MACCESS was selected as the most popular choice. With all of that input we hope you will find the portal useful and simple to navigate.

We want to encourage regular feedback on the portal so we have added a discussion forum with a topic for feedback and comments. Please use it to tell us what you think.

And, as a special incentive to MacInsiders readers, I will be giving away two $25 gift certificates to Titles. How do you get one? I will make two postings on the Portal discussion forum at random times over the next two days (and not just in office hours). The first person to reply to each posting will receive one of the certificates. There will be other chances later but MacInsiders get advance notice of these two.

Finally, I want to give special thanks to the folks in Student Affairs and the Registrar's Office who sponsored the project, and to the Technology Fund, Refining Directions and student fees who covered the costs. And a special shout out to all of the students who gave input, offered comments, participated in surveys, focus groups, user testing and especially to Chad who worked on the project for a summer.

Check out the preview here and check out MACCESS at maccess.mcmaster.ca

John Alley, PMP
Director Project Management Office
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-19-2008 at 01:11 AM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times
lol welcome week themes.. Although, I do remember you mentioning this when the theme was first announced way back when, Chad.

Old 11-19-2008 at 06:36 AM   #3
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times
maccess doesn't support safari web browser! I have to download another web browser to get on! :(

Old 11-19-2008 at 06:56 AM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
This is so much better than the archaic system we're using now, and the discussion forum is a huge plus. Finding MacInsiders before I got here and just asking a few questions and reading other peoples comments did a lot more to prepare me for Uni than the McMaster website every did. Good job to everyone who worked to set this up, this is definitely going to get bookmarked.

Old 11-19-2008 at 08:05 AM   #5
alleyj

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssabriere View Post
maccess doesn't support safari web browser! I have to download another web browser to get on! :(
I know. We really wanted to support Safari but the tool we are using doesn't make that easy at all. Alyssabriere, web traffic analysis shows that you are in a select minority that use Safari. We opted for the standards-compliant browsers. If we get significant feedback on Safari compatibility we can try again - or we could put a priority on making it useable on cell-phones and PDAs. Please add to the Comments and Feedback forum on MACCESS and we will have info to guide our next priorities.

Old 11-19-2008 at 08:32 AM   #6
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyj View Post
I know. We really wanted to support Safari but the tool we are using doesn't make that easy at all. Alyssabriere, web traffic analysis shows that you are in a select minority that use Safari. We opted for the standards-compliant browsers. If we get significant feedback on Safari compatibility we can try again - or we could put a priority on making it useable on cell-phones and PDAs. Please add to the Comments and Feedback forum on MACCESS and we will have info to guide our next priorities.

hmmmm so my macID isn't recognized....

Old 11-19-2008 at 08:38 AM   #7
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
We opted for the standards-compliant browsers.
So I guess Internet Explorer isn't supported then

Old 11-19-2008 at 08:39 AM   #8
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssabriere View Post
You can probably get around it by changing the user agent. It may not look good though.

Old 11-19-2008 at 08:45 AM   #9
alleyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
So I guess Internet Explorer isn't supported then
Ummm. We HAD to make it work in IE because of its dominance but yes we have spent quite a bit of time to make it work well in IE because it isn't standards compliant.

Old 11-19-2008 at 08:51 AM   #10
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Ummm. We HAD to make it work in IE because of its dominance but yes we have spent quite a bit of time to make it work well in IE because it isn't standards compliant.
So do you actually filter people out by browser or do you just say "This site may not work with your browser." ?

Old 11-19-2008 at 08:58 AM   #11
alleyj

Quote:
So do you actually filter people out by browser or do you just say "This site may not work with your browser." ?
We had such an awful experience with Safari when we first started testing that we decided to check if people were using it and then direct them to Firefox. We haven't evaluated Safari 3.2 but will do that soon.

Old 11-19-2008 at 09:07 AM   #12
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
We had such an awful experience with Safari when we first started testing that we decided to check if people were using it and then direct them to Firefox. We haven't evaluated Safari 3.2 but will do that soon.
Ah ok. Well that makes sense.

Now to my problem, my MacId isn't recognized, is the system not fully up yet?

Old 11-19-2008 at 10:08 AM   #13
alleyj

Quote:
Ah ok. Well that makes sense.

Now to my problem, my MacId isn't recognized, is the system not fully up yet?
The system is fully up - so now I am concerned. Could you please zap me an e-mail with your MAC ID and we will try to get to the bottom of this? [email protected]

Old 11-19-2008 at 10:13 AM   #14
webzn

Liked: 17 Times
I remember hearing about this years ago; was wondering what happened to the project.

It looks good, but, I am looking forward to when everything is within one system rather than just iframes of MUGSI

Old 11-19-2008 at 10:45 AM   #15
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times
This site is AMAZING

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search