MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
MacInsiders Server Problems (and Solutions) deadpool Computers & Tech 28 03-10-2010 03:40 PM
MacInsiders - some issues? Duarch General Discussion 16 10-19-2009 10:45 AM
CS Server needs home in Keyes! kevinf Gaming 10 09-01-2008 11:16 PM
UnivMail Server Down Temporarily kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 19 08-15-2008 04:45 PM

MacInsiders Server Optimization In Progress

Hi everyone,

We've been experiencing a large amount of new users and traffic to the site, making our server and database work super hard! Sorry for the inconvenience. We're growing at a tremendous rate. Currently we're working hard with new caching systems to make the site run faster. You should notice a major improvement in load times. Let us know if you notice any further problems.

New Marketplace Forum
The Marketplace system we were running was found to be quite buggy and server-intensive, causing 800x more load on the server than it should be. For this reason, we've taken it down while we look into ways to improve and upgrade our marketplace. In the meantime, a separate forum has been created JUST for posting marketplace items. If you have recently posted items for sale in our marketplace, please repost them in our new Marketplace Forum. Feel free to start threads in there to sell your textbooks and other items, click here!

Also check out the new 'Services for Hire' section in the new Marketplace Forum, where you can post classifieds about tutoring, proof reading, and more. Do you have a service to offer? Click here and post it!

More Updates On The Way
More site upgrades and new features on the way! We'll be launching a new navigation menu that makes navigating MacInsiders much easier and quicker, as well as revamping our MacInsiders Mobile version for iPhone and Android phones to be optimized even more to fit smaller screens. Stay tuned!

Thank you for your patience, and welcome to our 200+ new members that joined us in the past few days!

Regards
Chad

jhan523, Marlowe, Richa, xxsumz all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-11-2010 at 10:42 PM   #2
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness
Program: o.o;;
Year: Other

Liked: 333 Times
YESSSSSSS new servers Now all we need is a few thousand more members to make that server useless.
Old 09-11-2010 at 10:52 PM   #3
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member
Program: Honours Life Sciences
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS! 2011/2012 Mckay 2010, Hedden 2009

Liked: 96 Times
man if only musi n solar were as efficient as chad in upgrading than mac wuld be soooooo bomb
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 09-11-2010 at 11:24 PM   #4
cjdzl
G0DFATHER
Program: Biology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 229 Times
seriously they should have used the money to renovate commons on mugsi
god dame

Old 09-11-2010 at 11:36 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Currently doing some big tweaks behind the scenes and playing around with a new caching system to make things run faster. Let me know if you guys notice the speed of the site loading faster!
Old 09-11-2010 at 11:41 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Currently doing some tweaks to the site to make things run faster. Let me know if you guys notice the speed of the site loading faster!
Definitively a lot faster right now compared to the past weekish. It was pretty slow in the past weekish, I actually thought it was my browser (but that's because I only use firefox for MacInsiders and nothing else). But right now it's pretty fast
Old 09-12-2010 at 12:24 AM   #7
Desda
Elite Member
Program: Honors Accounting
Year: Other

Liked: 335 Times
Suggestion: to organize the Marketplace better, maybe we should have subforums (w/e u wanna call it) for Year I, Year II, Year III, Year IV. Something like that...so we don't have to browse thru every single ad. I suppose there is the Ctrl + F option, but not everyone lists everything the same. For example, if I was looking for Pol Sci 1G06 and I Ctrl + F the course code, then I'm not going to get results from someone who put "First Year Polsci Book."

Anyway, new server = win ^_^

Marlowe says thanks to Desda for this post.
Old 09-12-2010 at 07:31 PM   #8
Carefree
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences

Liked: 25 Times
If possible Chad, would Mac be able to fund some better servers for the site. Realistically the site is not very large compared to some other forums on the internet, I am sure a half-decent server can handle the load. Is this still an official MSU club?

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search