MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guitar Discussion VastHorizon General Discussion 51 10-02-2009 06:10 PM
MACPASS 2009 Discussion kanishka First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 374 08-16-2009 08:23 PM
New Course Discussion Forum Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-12-2007 05:46 PM

MacPass 2008 Discussion

Old 06-29-2008 at 04:49 PM   #1
tee33

Liked: 0 Times

How do you get the mac pass. Someone told me you can get them now?
Old 06-29-2008 at 04:59 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

There is more information on the MacPass here: http://fye.mcmaster.ca/orprmacpasses.html

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-29-2008 at 09:17 PM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

I bought a MacPass last year and I thought it was worth it, there were tons of events to go to.

I loved the fact that all the stuff you got with the MacPass (residence t-shirt, faculty t-shit and other gear like water bottles with you faculty logo etc) came in a great laundry bag. I used that thing every weekend to bring my laundry home (yeah I'm lazy, I don't feel like doing it all on my own at school) and it looked like everyone else did too, I always saw people with their bags from welcome week's past using it to cart their clothes around. It's a tiny detail about the MacPass but I thought it was a great idea.
Old 06-30-2008 at 10:20 AM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I think I got MacPass information in the mail. Also, you can buy it on Welcome Day (August 8th) that's what I did. I strongly suggest that students get one. Welcome Week is a GREAT time! In the past, the prices were also a lot higher so you guys are really fortunate in that respect. It's over $50 cheaper now than when I was in first year. You take a lot away from Welcome Week also.
Old 06-30-2008 at 11:48 AM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Yeah they sent me an order form and information about it in the mail some time last Summer before I went into first year.
Old 06-30-2008 at 12:38 PM   #6
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

if you get it before a certain date (cant remember) its also $10 off
Old 06-30-2008 at 03:47 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If you buy it after Welcome Day (August 8th), the price increases by $10

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-11-2008 at 10:37 AM   #8
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Mac Pass
A little help with this,

Where and when do we purchase our welcome week passes?

I saw the form on the facebook group but once we fill it out how and were do we mail it? and do we just attach $75 with it or what? And i heard we get it in the mail but as of yet i have not recieved anything
Old 07-11-2008 at 12:28 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

The form has a section showing how to order and where to send. See below.

Quote:
By Mail:
First Year Experience Office
Commons B 101 B
McMaster University
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario
L8S 4K1

Over the Phone:
Phone: (905) 525-9140, extension #26691

Fax:
905 525 2413

In Person:
First Year Experience Office
Common’s Building
Room B101 B
1200 Main Street West

Welcome Day (August 8, 2008)
Visit us on Welcome Day at the white tents in the centre of campus

Summer Orientation Days (July 2-July 10, & July 17, 2008) We’ll be located in the McMaster University Student Centre (MUSC),
when you come to register for the day

Welcome Week 2008 (August 30-September 2, 2008)
We’ll be located in the centre of campus under the MacPass tent during
move-in weekend. (See pick-up times)*

Ms.Williams, slx4, waleed.dogar all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 07-13-2008 at 07:44 PM   #10
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

What's exactly included in the MacPass this year?
Old 07-14-2008 at 12:12 AM   #11
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

If you buy a MacPass you're going to get:
  • A bag of schwag from your residence and/or faculty (residence t-shirt, if you're in rez - everyone will be wearing them!)
Then you get access to some of the Welcome Week events that require the pass (according to the FYEO they are as follows):
  • Monday Night Social (live music at Quarters, free dancing lessons...)
  • Carnival
  • IRC Bedraces (watch and cheer on your fellow students... they'll be racing around the center of campus, fun to watch!!)
  • Faculty Day Activities (you meet up with your faculty and mingle, do some activities and icebreakers)
  • Faculty Night Activities (usually go somewhere off-campus, get some food, music, and party with fellow faculty peers)
  • All residence and SOCS events (variety of events - a must for those living in res)
If you're in residence then it is highly recommended you get the macpass (for your res tshirt, res events, etc. which are super important for meeting people in your residence!). If you're in first year you're going to be meeting a lot of new people and making connections through the faculty/residences/socs events and those connections and new friendships alone are well worth the money.

The MacPasses were much more expensive last year and in my first year (we're talking over $100!) so it's nice to see they reduced the prices and that the macpasses were subsidized, making them much more affordable so that you can attend all of the events. If you buy the pass early you save $10 meaning you can get it for as low as $75 (residence students) or $35 (off-campus students). I think all the special events, faculty night trip, plus the swag you get is definitely worth the price this year.

*UPDATE 19/07/08 Learn more here.

Allan, BlakeM, Ms.Williams all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 07-15-2008 at 04:25 PM   #12
Allan
Elite Member

What is the difference between the Residence and Off-Campus one?

Can I purchase the Off-Campus one if I'm in Res and not participate in the Residence events?
Old 07-15-2008 at 10:07 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Nope. And you'd look pretty weird in a SOCS shirt surrounded by people from your Res.

Old 07-15-2008 at 11:40 PM   #14
Allan
Elite Member

So what's the difference between the Residence and Off-Campus one? (other than the t-shirt)
Old 07-16-2008 at 12:30 AM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

It's a little bit complicated because SOCS students are paying only for their faculty component, while res students are paying for both faculty and res.

Essentially, its the programming.

Each res has different activities planned (and I couldn't tell you who is doing what and when...because there are 12 residences, of which there are multiple activities going on each day). Also, there is also talk of having different wrist bands for off campus and on, so if there are res-specific events you can't attend because you won't have the correct wristband.

Furthermore...in buying a MacPass you're helping to support YOUR res. Everything is carefully budgeted by your HPA, and in not supporting them your taking money away from their programs.