MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
What is a socially-conscious clothing company? cjordan MacInsiders Announcements 9 08-21-2010 02:49 AM
Biology Clothing on Sale!! Get it while its hot!! aviaf MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-05-2010 08:53 PM
Womens Clothing Drive Chad Getting Involved 0 11-28-2007 10:52 AM

Mac's First Ever Clothing Swap!

If you haven't heard yet, a campus-wide swap is about to take over McMaster.
For every item you no longer use that you bring from home, you get to choose an item from the stockpile of stuff other people have brought!
If you're at home for thanksgiving, scavenge your room for old stuff; shirts, shoes, backpacks, accessories, whatever you got!

Email ma[email protected] om to get on our mailing list!!!
Check us out on Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=1588044 30811455

We'll be collecting your stuff in the next two weeks, and collection will culminate in SWAP DAY (Wed Oct 27) where we lay out all your stuff in MUSC atrium for you to scavenge!

The goals of the event are to promote the use of sustainable means to meet our needs and desires, and to avoid consumption as much as possible.

Threadwork
An OPIRG Working Group

Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 10-10-2010 at 11:22 AM   #2
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie
Program: Honours English and History
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 521 Times
This sounds really, really cool
Old 10-17-2010 at 01:07 PM   #3
cameronamini
Year: Second

Liked: Liked 4 Times
We're hoping to make it a seasonal affair!
Fingers crossed for a good turnout next wednesday, we already have 150 people attending on our facebook event.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 10-17-2010 at 01:12 PM   #4
Rakim
Account Locked
Program: English & Cultural Studies

Liked: 815 Times
I need a new winter jacket :(

Old 10-17-2010 at 01:15 PM   #5
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill
Year: Masters

Liked: 423 Times
I actually have a question about this: You know how you get so many points for each article of clothing? Like jewelry is 1 point, jeans are 2 points (I think, something like that). Anyway, to use your points to "buy" something, does the system work the same way? Is it 1 point to buy jewelry, too? Or is it one of those things where you get a couple points for what you give but you need a million points to get something?
Old 10-17-2010 at 02:28 PM   #6
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum
Program: Economics
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 156 Times
Can you only purchase clothing with these points or can we use actual money to buy them as well?
Old 10-17-2010 at 02:42 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
I think this is such a good idea! I don't know why I didn't hear about it/notice it before.
I'm going to drop some stuff off tomorrow. The Facebook page says tomorrow, the drop off will be in "Mills Plaza". I assume that's outside, in the area infront of Mills and the Student Centre?
Old 10-17-2010 at 07:24 PM   #8
cameronamini

Yup, it'll be right near Titles. A fair number of people have heard about it but still many who would benefit from participating haven't. We're trying to get the word out as much as we can. Let your friends know about it! More people, more variety
Old 10-17-2010 at 07:26 PM   #9
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Can we buy anything with money, or does it absolutely have to be points?
Old 10-17-2010 at 07:27 PM   #10
cameronamini

@lizziepizzie:

NO, NO, the point scale is for your benefit, it's just so somebody can't exchange a belt for your winter coat. The scale remains the same for both buying and turning in.
Accessories/T-shirts - 1
Jeans - 3
Sweater - 4
Shoes - 4 (I think, haven't checked in a while)
Coat - 5
And whatever else ya have the person there will just have ot use their judgement.
Old 10-17-2010 at 07:32 PM   #11
cameronamini

@Deegs14:

You cannot buy the items unfortunately. The idea behind the event is that we don't need to buy as much as we do. If we think creatively, we can do things our selves with our own hands and brains, and with others we can meet our needs together. On a related note, we're also going to be facilitating DIY clothing alteration workshops later in the term. (Email [email protected] om if you're interested)

Thanks for all the interest!
Old 10-17-2010 at 07:33 PM   #12
Rakim
Account Locked
Program: English & Cultural Studies

Liked: 815 Times
can we exchange clothes the day of?
Old 10-17-2010 at 07:35 PM   #13
cameronamini

Yes you can exchange clothes the day of (27th).
Though, we really advise you not to if you can get your clotehs in earlier. That way your not screwed if say, you forget your clotehs when you rush out the house, and also, we want to have all the clothes out in the morning so there's as much variety as possible for people to choose from.
Old 10-17-2010 at 09:47 PM   #14
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Budden View Post
can we exchange clothes the day of?
Yah becasue I don't want to bring something in and find nothing want. So if I DO find something want, I can just go put what I have in the appropriate pile and get the points for it, right? I don't actually have to exchange that particular item with the person whose clothes I want?
Old 10-18-2010 at 08:21 AM   #15
cameronamini

That's right. Just tell the entrance staff that you want to scan through first to see if there's anything you like and they won't hassle you.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search