MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Mac's First Ever Clothing Swap! cameronamini MacInsiders Announcements 16 10-21-2010 02:42 PM
Bad Company 2 anthony Gaming 4 07-11-2010 08:33 PM
Biology Clothing on Sale!! Get it while its hot!! aviaf MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-05-2010 08:53 PM
Womens Clothing Drive Chad Getting Involved 0 11-28-2007 10:52 AM

What is a socially-conscious clothing company?

What is a socially-conscious clothing company and do any exist?

What motivates you to make a purchase? Simply because you like the item or because the proceeds are going to a good cause? A socially-conscious company is one that is aware of the current issues that exist, and strives to help make a change through customer awareness. They sell products that are not damaging to the environment, and help preserve the earth. This may include using reusable bags (versus plastic bags), clothing made out of recyclable materials, and using portions of the proceeds to help with charitable causes around the world. Many companies these days are taking the appropriate measures to make sure that the products they sell are not harmful, and that the company is getting involved with humanitarian efforts worldwide. There may be some question as to if socially-conscious companies actually exist, however the few examples that I looked into clearly demonstrate that there are companies out there with the sole purpose of making a difference in the world.

Toms Shoes is most commonly known for its One for One Movement. For each pair of shoes that is purchased, a pair is given to a child in need which makes the buyer feel better as they make their purchase. This also allows the company to get away with their relatively high price (around $69.00). The shoes are also made out of organic cotton, which is much better for environmental purposes. The success of the shoes has allowed the company to send over a million shoes to underprivileged people in third-world countries. This alone shows that Toms is a socially-conscious company, as it realizes one of our biggest problems in the world is the lack of resources for people in third world countries. If you’re interested in learning more about their movement or you want to buy a pair of shoes, visit
www.toms.com

A second company to look at is the notorious clothing company American Apparel. Personally, I never knew that they were a socially-conscious company (I was probably misled by their very sexual and provocative advertisements) however, after a little research into the company, I saw that they do take measures to make sure they are doing their part. All the merchandise is made in a factory in California by legal workers, to ensure that their products aren’t made in sweatshops. American Apparel also provides excellent benefits for its workers including having a massage parlour inside of the office and compensating them on days off. Free English lessons are also given to workers where English is their second language. However, American Apparel is also conscious of the issues existing worldwide. Legalize Gay being one of their most popular campaigns. The ‘Legalize Gay’ shirt was originally made to distribute to people protesting against Proposition 8 (which condemns homosexual people in California from getting married) however the shirt was so popular that they began to sell it in stores and online. Although the proposition was eventually overturned, the Legalize Gay merchandise still remains very popular among consumers. Another campaign by American Apparel is Legalize LA which is an effort to get current immigration policies reformed. After having a large portion of their permanent workers get deported, they created numerous billboards and ads to bring consumer awareness to this important issue. American Apparel supports the fight to get policies changed by participating in yearly protests. To this day, they still continue to be activists for this issue.

Now the question lies. What are you supposed to take from this article? Why is it even relevant to know what a socially-conscious company is? Well, if you really think about it...do you want to support a company who does not have any other concern other than making money? Would you really feel good buying a pair of shoes knowing that it was made by a young child in a sweatshop? As you make your next purchase, after you have decided whether you really like the item or not, take a second to think about what you know about where it was made and what the company advocates. Do you really still want to buy it? Don’t just buy something because you want it, buy it because by doing so you are helping to make a difference.

davey, mlangille, sinthusized like this.
Published by
Communications Intern

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-15-2010 at 12:13 PM   #2
davey
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 14 Times
I'd recommend this website/book for more socially and environmentally conscious companies. Some of them are even Canadian.

http://www.betterworldshoppe r.com/

As sad it is, in a capitalist world, you vote with your money.

cameronamini says thanks to davey for this post.

Clematis likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-15-2010 at 12:38 PM   #3
IbrahimH
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Year: Second

Liked: 13 Times
warbyparker.com is also an amazing company! It currently only ships to the U.S. but it will soon start shipping to Canada in the early fall!

It's an eye-wear company that allows you to select up to 5 frames from their website to be shipped to you for FREE so you can try them on. If you decided to purchase one of them, you place your order online and give them your prescription... shipping is also FREE. Not only that, but each pair of their amazing vintage-inspired eye-wear glasses is $95 (prescription lenses included!!). If you're not satisfied with their glasses, you can also ship it back to them for free and you get your money back.

As if that wasn't enough, they have a similar socially-conscious campaign going on. It's explained on their website: "We believe that everyone has the right to see. Unfortunately, millions of people around the world today don’t have access to proper vision care. To help address this problem, Warby Parker partners with renowned non-profits, such as RestoringVision.org, to deliver one pair of glasses to someone in need for every pair that we sell. In doing so, we enable you to share the gift of vision with someone who can’t see today and give them the opportunity to read, to work and to live a fuller life."

I just found out about this company through GQ magazine the other day; and I'm definitely going to purchase a few glasses once they start shipping to Canada.

davey, paperplanes all say thanks to IbrahimH for this post.
Old 08-15-2010 at 09:38 PM   #4
mlangille
Program: Environmental Science
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 14 Times
H&M is a company that also has a socially conscious campaign- the Fashion Against Aids line

I believe it was 25% of the proceeds of each purchase within the line are donated to AIDs research/ healthcare services pertaining to AIDs in Africa. (This was in the UK , I;m not too sure if it was in Canada too).

There's also the fair trade movement. Fair trade is an organized social movement and market-based approach that aims to help producers in developing countries obtain better trading conditions and promote sustainability. The movement advocates the payment of a higher price to producers as well as social and environmental standards. It focuses in particular on exports from developing countries to developed countries, (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_trade).

A fair trade company that is fairly common is Cocoa Camino- they sell coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and sugar and are even available in grocery stores like fortinos.

Lastly, this compay is still in the developing and market research stages. It's a clothing line called AfriCAN (http://africanvoice.ca/). AfriCAN is a company that uses African fabrics from Malawi and Zambia (from local tailors there) to create modern/ urban apparel. The profits are then re-invested in Africa t help build leadership and entrepeunership opportunities in Africa.

AfriCANs mission is to rebrand Africa within Canada and get people talking about Africa- shifting the relationship from a charitable one to one of partnership. They currently have fairly limited selection, but it can be shipped to Canada and purchased on Ethical Ocean (http://ethicalocean.com/brands/african)...I found out about AfriCAN at the Engineers Without Borders regional retreat-ontario this summer, one if the company founders Brett Stevenson was an EWB African Programs Staff (APS) in Malawi.

Old 08-15-2010 at 10:44 PM   #5
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.
Program: Labour Studies
Year: Masters

Liked: 94 Times
I'm loving the article

It is usually painfully difficult, but I try to buy from worker-led co-operatives first, as they provide one of the most socially conscious forms of employment available. By giving workers more control over what they produce, it gives their work more intrinsic value and meaning.

Generally I will look for socially-conscious brands if I'm indulging in the more capitalistic side of things, so American Apparel is pretty much top of my list for clothes. And I will only use Fairly Traded sugars, teas, chocolates, like Cocoa Camino as Meaghan noted.
Old 08-16-2010 at 04:47 PM   #6
jhenn7
Program: Biology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 0 Times
If you would like to get more involved in what TOMS does for the world.
Join McMaster TOMS Campus Club in September =]
For further information give us a shout at [email protected] m
Old 08-16-2010 at 05:32 PM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 416 Times
socially conscious clothing company? There's only a financially-conscious company.
Old 08-16-2010 at 05:40 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
socially conscious clothing company? There's only a financially-conscious company.
True, but I think it's better to buy clothes to companies that fund charities than companies that don't. Every dollar helps.

lorend likes this.
Old 08-19-2010 at 04:48 PM   #9
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenn7 View Post
They should really make stuff out of hemp instead of cotton. Apparently there are benefits.
Old 08-21-2010 at 02:49 AM   #10
p.lau
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: Liked 8 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenn7 View Post

what?! is this new? how have i never heard of this club before... so cute! (although i'm sure that's not the response you were looking for )

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search