MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retaking a course makes me have 27 credits? patela77 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 01-09-2011 11:54 AM
This song makes me want to daaaance Kendoon General Discussion 21 11-03-2010 05:26 AM
McMaster University makes Top 100 In World Chad MacInsiders Announcements 25 10-09-2010 11:50 PM
What makes you rage @ Mac? (FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU) MacEng General Discussion 30 01-20-2010 08:49 PM

This makes me cry

Old 02-02-2011 at 10:14 PM   #1
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times

This makes me cry
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/n...-1225998438497

ONE hundred husky dogs were slaughtered after the 2010 Winter Olympics because they were no longer needed to pull tourist sleds at a Canadian ski resort.

The killings were reportedly carried out over two days in April by one worker with a shotgun and a knife, with reports of injured dogs crawling out of a mass grave.

The dogs were killed because business slumped in the two months after the Games and they were no longer needed by tourism companies Outdoor Adventures and Howling Dogs, which sell dog-sled rides to tourists, reports said.

"We've opened a police file and assigned an investigator," Royal Canadian Mounted Police Staff Sergeant Steve LeClair said.

The case came to light on Monday after the worker claimed post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of killing the dogs and was reportedly awarded compensation.

Marcie Moriarty of the Society for Prevention of Animal Cruelty, the lead agency in the investigation, said: "The way he describes [in the board's report] multiple shots and faces blown off and coming back on a second day is gruesome. The way this employee describes it, it's a massacre. These dogs were killed in front of other dogs that were all tied up."

The man's personal injury lawyer Cory Steinberg said: "It wasn't always a clean, one-shot kill. He ended up seeing and having to put the end to some horrific scenes."

A spokeswoman for the law firm refused to comment on the criminal investigation and Outdoor Adventures did not return repeated calls.

The company's website, with photos of huskies and sleds, continues to advertise dog sled rides.
Old 02-02-2011 at 10:15 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Saw it on a news program today.. was very sad :'(
Old 02-02-2011 at 10:18 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

The worker should return the compensation. If it was so horrible, next time don't ****ing do it, you piece of shit. >_>

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 02-02-2011 at 10:30 PM.

justinsftw, Lois like this.
Old 02-02-2011 at 10:33 PM   #4
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

god, people need to grow a pair
Old 02-02-2011 at 10:39 PM   #5
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

What the **** would have been so hard about selling the dogs?????

as in why couldn't they have done that instead

Old 02-02-2011 at 11:32 PM   #6
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post

They're full grown huskies. Can't just take it in but killing them, especially like that isn't right.
Old 02-02-2011 at 11:48 PM   #7
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Did the cute picture cheer you up a bit at least?
Old 02-02-2011 at 11:51 PM   #8
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
They're full grown huskies. Can't just take it in but killing them, especially like that isn't right.

Forgive my ignorance, I don't know much about dogs, but why exactly does it matter if they're full grown?

Old 02-02-2011 at 11:52 PM   #9
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:

There are already thousands of homeless dogs in shelters and SPCAs across Canada that already cannot find homes, and hundreds are euthanized every day due to overflowing shelters. It's really unlikely those dogs would have all been able to find homes, but considering they were trained sled dogs, I'm sure at least a handful of them could have been adopted out to other sled dog teams, or people living in rural areas who can give these dogs the exercise they need. Or even some city people with a big yard and a lot of time for exercise, lol. I've heard some fantastic stories about city people adopting sled dogs, and some not-so-great stories, so I guess it's hard to say whether they make ideal pets or not.

It's disgusting that these dogs were finished off this way. I understand that in the end, many of them would have been put down anyway, but why not a shot of euthasol? Why the brutal end for animals that have given them years of loyal service? It's hard for us to think of dogs the same way people think about cows and other livestock animals (where a well placed shot in the head is common, or captive bolt, to put down an injured/ill animal that won't be treated .. for cows it's considered humane if you do it properly), since we think of our dogs as family and as close companions, and don't think shooting them in the head is appropriate. But I guess the people behind this company just thought of the dogs as a way to make profit and are on a different wavelength than the average dog owner. Either way, it's really sad that it had to end like this, I wonder how common of a practice it is in companies like this, for an untrained individual to have to fire multiple shots at a dog's head, hoping one of them will kill them quickly.

Last edited by ladyh : 02-03-2011 at 12:08 AM.

jeboi7 likes this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 12:12 AM   #10
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

That is very sad. But I don't like how people get all sentimental when DOGS suffer..how about millions of chickens, pigs, cows that die every seconds for our comsumption. They die in slaughterhouse and I can assure you, it is far from a peaceful death.

I'm not a vegetarian but animal cruelty is everywhere around us. Don't believe me? Bullfighting, dogfighing, cockfighting, fur trapping, raising animals for fur, veal calves raised for food, any animals raised for food, animal experimentations for medical purpose, puppy mills, rodeo, hunting...and much more.

Hell, people in china eat a monkey's brain while it is ALIVE!
http://maxent.org/ch/monkey_brains_ad.html Be warned, it is disturbing...

We human exploit animals too much.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 02-03-2011 at 12:17 AM   #11
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Keep in mind, they killed those husky dogs because they wanted to save money. The worst part is that they died while others were dying in front on them. That is another level of cruelty.

Obviously a selfish act.
Old 02-03-2011 at 12:20 AM   #12
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, I don't know much about dogs, but why exactly does it matter if they're full grown?
Well, the thing is that the whole purpose was to save $$$. Even putting these animals to a shelter would cost them a dime or two. The whole process just didn't seem worth it. It wasn't a sentimental approach, their lives weren't worth a penny to these people.
Old 02-03-2011 at 12:21 AM   #13
crazyfree
Elite Member

...we kind of need to eat meat. It's how we developed.

Killing meat that's going to waste is sad. Killing meat for consumption not so much. Pretty sure when we went hunting with spears we weren't really considering the animal's feelings. Nor do I think that if animals had the choice to consume us they would really worry either.

Not saying that mass production facilities aren't sad..but the sad thing about this is how utterly unnecessary it was to kill the dogs.

Also, thank you for the explanation. I just would have thought Huskies would have been in higher demand. I want at least two once I have a house.

Old 02-03-2011 at 12:27 AM   #14
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:

Killing meat that's going to waste is sad. Killing meat for consumption not so much. Pretty sure when we went hunting with spears we weren't really considering the animal's feelings. Nor do I think that if animals had the choice to consume us they would really worry either.

Not saying that mass production facilities aren't sad..but the sad thing about this is how utterly unnecessary it was to kill the dogs.

Also, thank you for the explanation. I just would have thought Huskies would have been in higher demand. I want at least two once I have a house.
Ya, mass production is very sad. If slaughterhouse was made of glass walls, most of us could become vegetarian.
Old 02-03-2011 at 01:58 AM   #15
Needlenose
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Wrong. Eating meat is a choice. Humans don't need to consume meat in order to lead a healthy life. People only eat it because they like the taste.

I agree with jeboi7. Humans do exploit animals way too much. The monkey brain consumption is nightmare-inducing. Simply awful.

alh24 likes this.