MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commerce 2FA3 & Commerce 2AB3 - Textbook Question CAHopeful Academics 4 06-21-2011 11:36 PM
Commerce Internships Commie8507 General Discussion 9 06-01-2011 11:08 PM
Anyone dropping commerce 2fa3 and commerce 4pa3 kunwaro Academics 3 01-04-2011 11:59 AM
Internships: Social Sciences Experiential Education samantha__ Jobs & Employment Tips 0 10-23-2008 11:00 PM

How many Commerce Internships are there?

Old 05-16-2012 at 03:32 PM   #1
Unregistered

How many Commerce Internships are there?
I'm going to be a first year commerce student starting September 2012.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on the commerce internship program.

Like how many interenships are there usually.

Do you need work experience to get an internship?

What is the breakdown of the type of internships? Like how many accounting, finance, marketing, etc are there?

Is it easier to get an internship with high marks?

How does the process of internship even work?

Thanks!!
Old 05-16-2012 at 04:30 PM   #2
David.O

Liked: 0 Times

The internships don't start until you complete your third year. You have to register for an internship course during your third year where they prep you. You must have at least a 7.0 cumulative average to be eligible. Once that's all done, they set up interviews for you, but after that, it's up to you to do well during your interview to be hired. I'm not too sure about the number of spots available.
Old 05-16-2012 at 04:42 PM   #3
Unregistered

Hey how difficult are classses? What courses would you recommend I take first year in addition to required courses?
Old 05-16-2012 at 05:05 PM   #4
Unregistered

How many internships are there?

Usually around 80-90 students get internships out of about 250-300 students depending on your year. That doesn't seem like alot but many students drop out of the internship program after taking the class, and alot of ppl drop out becuase they find other work (ie. summer internships that aren't a part of the internship program)

Do you need work experience to get an internship?

No, I know alot of ppl who got jobs with no work experience, however they did have alot of extra-curricular experience and decent marks.

What is the breakdown of the type of internships? Like how many accounting, finance, marketing, etc are there?

I'd say there's more accounting and finance comparatively, but there's jobs from all functional areas of business, even operations/supply chain.

Is it easier to get an internship with high marks?

I'd say high marks definitely give you a better chance at getting an interview but don't necessarily get you the job. I have a very high average and got interviews for all 7 jobs I applied for, however, only got ranked number one for 3/7.

How does the process of internship even work?

1) sign up at the beginning of third year
2) take the internship class once a week for five weeks in first semester of third year
3) update your resume/cover letter with everything you learned in the internship class.
4) get it approved so you can apply for jobs
5) starting in January (second semester) jobs will start being posted that you can apply for on McMasters career site (these jobs are only available to students in the internship program)
6) After applying, wait to see if you get chosen for an interview and then go to your interviews

There's more but those are the main points.