MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Marching Band - Get Involved! nogood205 MacInsiders Announcements 4 01-10-2010 12:18 AM
McMaster Marching Band Open House c.thomson MacInsiders Announcements 3 09-16-2009 02:40 PM
McMaster Marching Band nogood205 Clubs & Groups 2 09-13-2009 09:27 AM
McMaster Marching Band! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 03-08-2009 09:12 AM

Marching Band at McMaster University?

Old 01-01-2009 at 01:15 PM   #1
nogood205
McMaster Marching Band President

Liked: 4 Times

Marching Band at McMaster University?
Some talk has been started about determining interest for starting a marching band / drum corps here at Mac - hey, we have a brand new football field!

If this is of interest to you, swing by the facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...=4296912 8095

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2009 at 02:27 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You can apply for this to be a club for the 2009-2010 year too.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-01-2009 at 03:27 PM   #3
nogood205
McMaster Marching Band President

Liked: 4 Times

This would probably require a lot more funding than an ordinary club. Right now, I am seeing if there is actually enough interest to pursue this venue.
Old 01-01-2009 at 05:37 PM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

oh there'd definitely be interest.. I cannot tell you how many people I know who say that they play an instrument but don't have an excuse now to do it
Old 03-22-2009 at 09:38 PM   #5
Holowacj

Liked: 1 Time

Check out the Website if you're ineterested!
We've finally got it off the ground, and in the air...

If you're interested in information about the McMaster Marching Band, check out our website...

www.mcmastermarchingb and.com

See you there!
Old 03-22-2009 at 10:16 PM   #6
Quester

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holowacj View Post
We've finally got it off the ground, and in the air...

If you're interested in information about the McMaster Marching Band, check out our website...

www.mcmastermarchingb and.com

See you there!
Hey,

I totally forgot to attend the general meeting. I've just visited the webpage, but would you mind briefly describe about the band? ie. the number of practices i must attend per week for how many hours, audition piece requirement, etc?

Thanks,

Quester
Old 03-22-2009 at 10:47 PM   #7
Holowacj

The band will most likely be practicing 1 - 2 times per week (To Be Determined), and we anticipate anywhere from 3 - 6 hours of rehearsal time per week during this schedule.

As for the auditions, basically all we are looking for is if you can play a musical instrument at a competent level. I have several music students of my own who are planning on auditioning for the September round of auditions and I would recommend to them that they attempt a piece of music that best displays their abilities on their instrument.

If you can demonstrate a average to above-average level of musicianship equivalent to Grade 11 or 12 in high school music, than that will more than likely be sufficient for admission into the band.

We are having two rounds of auditions (FYI and those reading this post) for the first year of the band's running. This is so we can get a start-up band in the works so we can hit the ground running come the end of Welcome Week 2009.

If anyone has any questions about the band, feel free to send me an email or reply on MacInsiders!

---
Chris Holowatyj
Vice-President Finance / Promotions & Recruiting Coordinator
McMaster Marching Band
[email protected] chingband.com
Old 03-22-2009 at 10:52 PM   #8
Holowacj

I almost forgot, the two rounds of auditions are occurring in April, & September...

Quester says thanks to Holowacj for this post.
Old 03-23-2009 at 12:58 AM   #9
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

You guys should talk to the Ath. Rec. Department to see if you can get a section in the seats at the Marauder Football games.

It would be sweet to have a band at the games to play fight songs etc. , a lot like most of the NCAA Div. 1 Universities in the U.S. have.

It would definitely pump up the atmosphere at Ron Joyce Stadium and make it feel like a major college football game.
Old 03-23-2009 at 10:29 AM   #10
Holowacj

Marauders Games
We are looking into ideas like this, as well as playing a field show for half-time, and possibly looking at competition-length routines to compete against the other 2 university marching bands in Canada (some time in the future of course)...
Old 03-23-2009 at 02:20 PM   #11
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

that sounds like fun... i would join.. depending on how much talent was required... i just want to play for fun

Last edited by sinthusized : 03-23-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2009 at 09:47 PM   #12
Holowacj

Just for fun...
Many people in fact will be there just to keep up playing instruments they put down when they left High School...

I think this video most summarizes the band stance on hardcore professionalism vs. "there for a good time" people... We want our members to have pride in the traditions that they start/are a part of, as well as be able to be professional during field shows, and have a good time while playing in the stands...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn1wrSjVmb0&f eature=hd