MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU Presidential Election Vote Count Released Chad MacInsiders Announcements 11 02-08-2009 02:25 PM
New Count Results Are Up - Azim Wins Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-15-2008 11:17 PM
JJones wins re re-count lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 03-05-2008 03:53 PM
Yet ANOTHER re-count on the way Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-03-2008 03:21 PM
Presidential Ballot Count Postponed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-07-2008 10:05 AM

Will This Mark/Course still count?! !!

Old 11-29-2010 at 06:22 AM   #1
VivenK15

Liked: 0 Times

Will This Mark/Course still count?! !!
OK, so I was here for 1 semester last year, and decided i wanted to take the rest of the semes off because i was not sure

So this year, i am repeating some courses from first semester, as I obviosely cant jump right into 2nd semester. Now as far as Sally (first year eng advisor) told me, my this semester courses will be looked upon for my admission into 2nd year. But my marks from last year will still stay. Now in 1 course, chem 1e03, i got a 5 in last year. I want to drop it so i can focus on my exams for the rest of my classes. If i drop it, will i be able to count the 5 from last year? Or will it still count on my transcript as I missed the deadline for dropping courses without penalties.

1 more thing, if i take 1 course in the summer, will it count towards my average, or admission, for 2nd year eng?
Old 11-29-2010 at 07:21 AM   #2
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivenK15 View Post
OK, so I was here for 1 semester last year, and decided i wanted to take the rest of the semes off because i was not sure

So this year, i am repeating some courses from first semester, as I obviosely cant jump right into 2nd semester. Now as far as Sally (first year eng advisor) told me, my this semester courses will be looked upon for my admission into 2nd year. But my marks from last year will still stay. Now in 1 course, chem 1e03, i got a 5 in last year. I want to drop it so i can focus on my exams for the rest of my classes. If i drop it, will i be able to count the 5 from last year? Or will it still count on my transcript as I missed the deadline for dropping courses without penalties.

1 more thing, if i take 1 course in the summer, will it count towards my average, or admission, for 2nd year eng?
If you drop chem now, it will result in failure (i.e. a 0 on your transcript), so yeah since you have the credit from last year it will still count for admission purposes but dropping it now would not be smart.

I'm not sure about your other question...but I would think it would not be taken into account for admission to 2nd year.
Old 11-29-2010 at 01:07 PM   #3
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivenK15 View Post

I think some programs specify on the undergraduate calender if your 30 first year units have to be started before you apply to the program or not... Double check with an advisor, or an upper year student... I'm not sure.

Also from what I understand you cant drop a course now because its after the drop date, pretty much you just stop trying and fail... Just try your best even if its not that effortful to get a decent mark
Old 11-29-2010 at 04:39 PM   #4
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

If you drop it now you will get an F, which means your cumulative average will go down. So assuming you took it twice, this is your new mark for the class:

[(5x3) + (0x3)] / 6 = 2.5 :(

If you take a course in the summer it will count towards NEXT year's cumulative average, so it will not help you get into second year unless they give you a conditional acceptance requirement. That's what happened with me, I dropped 1D04 during first year, and took it in the summer and my acceptance to second year was on the condition I pass 1D04 in the summer.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2010 at 02:03 AM   #5
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

If the course you take in the summer is a requirement for admission to 2nd year then they'll wait until you've passed it in order to finally be admitted to second year (ie you'll get a conditional offer until you pass it). If it's an elective that you're planning on taking then it won't have any effect on your admission to 2nd year.