Mary Keyes '08 Chad Mary Keyes Forum 23 08-13-2008 02:39 PM

Mary Keyes '07

Old 07-14-2007 at 04:58 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Mary Keyes '07
Are you living the suite style this year?
Is there info you need to know about the building?
Old 07-14-2007 at 07:21 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

• Completed in 2003, Mary E. Keyes Residence is the only "Suite" style building on campus and is 100% accessible
  • Adjacent to Cootes Paradise on the western edge of campus with an exceptional view of the Dundas escarpment
  • Mary E. Keyes Residence houses 280 men and women on seven floors
  • Residents share carpeted furnished suite - livingroom, kitchenette and 2 washrooms with shower, toilet and sink
  • Suites house four occupants (4 private bedrooms)
  • 6 suites are totally handicapped-accessible
  • Lounges and study rooms found on each floor with a centrally-located study room on 2nd floor
  • Music room in basement along with games room overlooking the dining facility
  • Laundry facilities with iron and ironing boards are located on the second floorStudents/guest will be able to enjoy the beauty of the campus while relaxing in the courtyard
  • Tim Hortons and convenience store on main floor
  • The new 8,000 square foot one-of-a-kind "East Meets West Bistro" dining facility will be located on the main floor.
  • The Bistro features a wood burning pizza oven and two-storey glass windows with a fabulous view of the campus as well as an outside patio
  • 3 meeting rooms are equipped with phone and Internet and offer seating ranging from 70 to 116 persons
  • Meeting rooms are available with view from 2nd floor overlooking dining facilities
  • West quad service centreis located on the first floor
Click to see the view from a Mary E. Keyes suite

Suite Features
- A living room with a loveseat, coffee table, entertainment unit, cable outlet, overhead lighting and window coverings - you are responsible for your own TV, VCR, etc.
- A kitchenette with a fridge, cooktop and microwave - you are responsible for cutlery, dishes, cookware, etc. There is a built-in island with stools.
- Bedrooms measure approximately 8'10" by 12'2" and include Captain's bed, desk with bookcase and light fixture, desk chair, drapes, garbage can, built-in closet, telephone handset and internet and phone service.
Old 07-14-2007 at 10:42 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Also be sure to view the general Residence discussion thread for more juicy info on the East Meets West Bistro and more!

A few new pics gathered:

Some more pics from McMaster's website, including a photo of the main lobby... which is nice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keyes2.jpg (691.0 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg keyes3.jpg (607.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 07-15-2007 at 12:46 AM   #4
hawied

Liked: 0 Times

Is keyes designated specifically to first year students? Or are there alot of upper years in it. I'm getting a feeling that there aren't alot of first year students assigned to keyes due to the lack of response from people in different threads..
Old 07-15-2007 at 01:05 AM   #5
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

It is primarily driven towards upper-year students, but I would say it's about 1/3 first year.
Old 07-15-2007 at 05:32 PM   #6
Kaitlyn

I lived in Keyes my first year and yea, there are quite a number of upper years but there are still lots of first years. The best way to meet fellow first years is definitely during welcome week! Lots of people say Keyes is a really quiet building and while my roommates certainly fit that description (much to my annoyance) I was able to find lots of people who were more outgoing on my floor and in the building. Keyes is perfect in the winter too because you can either get some timmys, pita pit, bistro food or cook something of your own vs going outside of your building for food. Rez life is really more who you're with vs where you live so hopefully you'll have some like-minded suitemates but if you dont luck out just do what I did and make friends elsewhere- there are lots of people in Keyes, or other rez's or just around mac in general!
Old 07-15-2007 at 06:07 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks Kaitlyn for that response!

Yes, Keyes is a residence geared towards upper-year students as it has all single rooms (as an upper year student in res you get a single room, provided to meet the grades cut-off). Thus, there is a lot of upper-year students there in comparison to other residences.

And, it would indeed be harder to meet people in Keyes as each suite has their own individual common room, and there are not shared areas between all people on each floor. So, get out during Welcome Week, and you can meet people then!!
Old 07-18-2007 at 01:20 AM   #8
shaniqua

hey i was wondering if keyes residents must clean their own apartment (like les prince) or is there staff that cleans the washrooms etc. 4 u like in the other residences?
Old 07-18-2007 at 09:33 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

No, you are responsible for your own apartment and suite.

Happy cleaning!
Old 07-18-2007 at 08:05 PM   #10
kaitlin

Do we have to pay for cable in our suite or is it included?
Old 07-18-2007 at 09:10 PM   #11
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

I think cable is included, but you need your own tv....
Old 07-18-2007 at 10:55 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I said in another post that it isn't. Honestly, I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm assuming installation wouldn't be? That's definately an ask during Welcome Day question. I'm miffed!
Old 07-19-2007 at 05:29 AM   #13
Kaitlyn

No, cable IS included (or it was when I lived there 2 years ago and I highly doubt this has changed)- no installation fees or the like. The only thing you pay extra for is long distance charges. Cheers,

Kaitlyn
Old 07-19-2007 at 09:32 AM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks Kaitlyn!
Old 08-15-2007 at 12:57 AM   #15
benstinks

Liked: 6 Times

The dimension of the room stated before, does that include the closets? Are they built into the wall or do they stick into the rooms?

Thanks...