Mary Keyes '07 lorend Mary Keyes Forum 59 05-13-2008 11:08 AM

Mary Keyes '09

Old 06-04-2009 at 01:35 PM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Mary Keyes '09
Welcome to the 2009 MARY KEYES discussion thread!

To view the 2008 thread, click here.

This thread is for all incoming 2009 residents of MARY KEYES. Feel free to share which floor you are on, cheers, welcome week information, or discuss residence-specific topics and get to know others in your residence! Plus if you have any questions related to this specific res, ask them here and we'll help answer them as best we can.

--MacInsiders

Quote:

FACTS
  • The only "Suite" style building on campus. It is 100% accessible (with 6 accessible suites.)
  • Residents share carpeted furnished suite - living room, kitchenette and 2 washrooms with shower, toilet and sink
  • Houses 280 students on seven floors
  • Suites house four occupants
  • Lounges and study rooms found on each floor with a centrally-located study room on 2nd floor
  • Laundry facilities with iron and ironing boards are located on the second floor
  • Tim Hortons, convenience store and "East Meets West Bistro" located on main floor
  • West quad service centre located on the first floor
Old 06-16-2009 at 10:49 AM   #2
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

If you got any questions about Keyes, throw them out!
Old 06-16-2009 at 10:57 AM   #3
bigmac

Liked: 1 Time

i was just wondering whether upper years find out before the first years what room they get in residence, or do they both find out at the same time?

i really want to get into keyes and from what i heard, the building has a lot of upper year students..is that correct?
Old 06-16-2009 at 11:06 AM   #4
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

visit the housing website for when you find out what room you get.
I don't know if upper years find out before the first years though.

keyes does have a lot of upper years. But it does have it's share of first years

bigmac says thanks to FireDragoonX for this post.
Old 06-16-2009 at 11:36 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I think it makes sense if they did find out first. First of all they apply before the first years. Secondly a certain amount of residence space is reserved for first years, about 80%. So my train of thought says that there are A LOT of first years coming in. What I think they do is place upper years in residence first filling up the first 20% of the space. If they happen to fill it up, then first years get 80%, but if they don't fill it up then there is more space for first years.

bigmac says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-16-2009 at 11:40 AM   #6
Phoenix

With regards to the placement of upper years and first years, I'm not sure how it works. About finding out, there is no difference if upper years find out before first years because it's not like they can change anything anyway. To change rooms you need a really really good and legitimate reason. So again, there isn't much difference of when you find out where you are or who finds out first.

bigmac says thanks to Phoenix for this post.
Old 06-16-2009 at 01:34 PM   #7
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Residence assignments are completed in late june/early july for ALL students. 20% of residence rooms across all buildings are reserved for upper year students. Keyes and Bates just seem to have a higher concentration of upper years because they're in higher demand among returning residence students. The higher your marks the better chance you have of getting your top picks as an upper year... that's probably why you find a lot of high achievers in Keyes.

Also Senators, some faculty club presidents, and some atheletes get to pick their building... usually Keyes.

bigmac says thanks to .:callen:. for this post.
Old 07-04-2009 at 03:23 PM   #8
MrFryingFish

Liked: 5 Times

Man, why has the keyes thread been so quiet, who else got into Keyes?
Old 07-05-2009 at 09:35 PM   #9
ACameron

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I got into Keyes Sixth Floor! Ha, I was hoping that maybe someone in my room would be here, but this thread is really quiet

Old 07-13-2009
sportjerseys
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-13-2009 at 12:14 PM   #10
Phoenix

right....

@Austin, you'll meet your floormates and rez mates. This thread is quiet lol. Got any questions?
Old 07-13-2009 at 04:50 PM   #11
muns2

Liked: 0 Times

I'm also on the sixth floor
Old 08-27-2009 at 03:26 PM   #12
Aimal

Liked: 0 Times

Yeah, I'm curious as to why this thread's gone so quiet, too. Most of the other ones are looming with activity.

I'm on the first floor of Keyes, btw. First year Engineering.
Old 08-29-2009 at 02:23 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Maybe everyone's on the facebook group ! Post the link in the facebook group to get it more active!
Old 10-12-2009 at 02:35 PM   #14
miatomasi

Liked: 15 Times

i'm a prospective student wondering if first year students in mary keyes are placed with other first years, or is it a mix of first year and upper year students in a suite. Also, are the suites a popular firs choice on residence applicatoins?