Mary E. Keyes 2010 JenYin Mary Keyes Forum 0 07-02-2010 08:36 AM
Mary Keyes '09 Chad Mary Keyes Forum 18 05-11-2010 06:34 PM
Applying for Mary Keyes jaason87 Mary Keyes Forum 25 02-24-2010 03:10 PM
Mary Keyes '08 Chad Mary Keyes Forum 23 08-13-2008 02:39 PM

Mary Keyes '07

Old 08-15-2007 at 04:24 AM   #16
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

The closets are built into the wall, but since I don't live there anymore I can't bust out a tape measure and see whether or not those dimensions are accurate :-p I guess they could have measured it in a couple of different ways - technically they do "stick into the room" since when you open the door there's about 1.5 feet of "hallway" that's formed by the wall enclosing the closet, but they could have measured from either the room door or the closet to the opposite wall.

If you look at this picture you can sort of see what I'm talking about: http://housing.mcmaster.ca/med/image...s/100_0009.jpg
That white wall on the left-hand edge of the picture is the side of the closet, and the picture was taken standing in the doorway. Hope that helps somewhat.

Also, to chime in with a clarification on the old topic of cable TV - there is free cable TV in the living room area, but you need to bring your own TV to hook up to it (Bates is the same way). You do NOT get free cable TV in your individual bedroom, but there is a jack on the wall if you wish to subscribe to it via Cogeco (their regular rates would apply).
Old 08-15-2007 at 11:22 PM   #17
Kevin

That'a a pretty small bedroom in that picture. How big is the rest of the suite? (like would you say that the living room is twice or 3 times the size of a bedroom)
Old 08-16-2007 at 01:11 AM   #18
Cippi

The bedrooms actually aren't that bad, size-wise. I lived in a single in Woodstock (i.e., without an apartment attached) and while it may have been a bit bigger in square footage, I thought the Keyes room had more usable space. One advantage of Keyes is that the suite has TONS of storage space in the hallway closets, so you have lots of room to store things outside of your room if you'd like.

As for the size of the rest of the suite, the first thing you have to know is that there are different suite layouts in the building. 90% of them are identical (basically all the rooms are arranged in a straight line), but some of them are L-shaped, and their common areas are a LOT bigger. If you're in one of the most common layouts, then I'd say the size of the living room is about the size of a bedroom, and that space also opens up into the kitchen. I can't remember all the room numbers that are laid out differently, but I know that if you're in an "-06" room (as in, 206, 306, etc.) like I was, you've probably got the best suites in the building :-p (they have huge living rooms and kitchens)
Old 08-20-2007 at 10:46 AM   #19
Kevin

quick question about the captians bed..how many compartments are under the bed?
Old 08-20-2007 at 11:59 AM   #20
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I believe it is three drawers, but possibly four.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-24-2007 at 01:10 PM   #21
Kevin

do you know how many electrical outlets are in each bedroom?
Old 08-24-2007 at 01:41 PM   #22
Cippi

Hmmm, well, there's a cluster of 4 outlets on the wall near where the desk is (next to the phone/internet jacks), and if I remember correctly there's one more regular two-outlet one further down that wall and one on the opposite wall as well.
Old 08-24-2007 at 05:33 PM   #23
Kevin

cippi, so there are 8 outlets?? wow that's a lot for each bedroom
Old 08-25-2007 at 02:02 AM   #24
Cippi

Yep, it's pretty sweet, as opposed to Woodstock, for example, which clusters the outlets in really inconvenient places. It's probably because of revisions to the electrical code in the past 30 years that say that there have to be a certain number of outlets per length of wall (or something like that). The reasoning behind it is that it discourages the permanent use of extension cords, which is theoretically less safe.
Old 08-26-2007 at 12:19 AM   #25
Jess

Internet jacks?...so i assume there isn't wireless internet service in keyes..so do we have to bring our own internet cable?
Old 08-26-2007 at 02:27 AM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

No, you will be provided with a cable during move-in.

If you're lucky, you may be able to nab a wireless signal from somewhere, but I do not think it's too likely.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-26-2007 at 01:31 PM   #27
Kevin

Where is the laundry room located and is there like a machine that converts cash to coins for the laundry?
Old 08-26-2007 at 04:53 PM   #28
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

The washing machines and dryers are in the basement of all the residences.

No, there is no machine where you can get cash from. If they have some, the service desk can provide you with change, but your bill must be $10 or less. That is why in the first residence survival guide (http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1722 2) i told everyone to get change in rolls.

Old 08-26-2007
Kevin
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-26-2007 at 10:26 PM   #29
Kevin

haha true I guess I'll have to go to the bank to get some coin rolls then. Damn it, why can't my clothes wash themselves, is that too much to ask for.