MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Jan 21 : Massive war 2 Chad Daily Game 0 01-21-2011 04:30 AM
Teaching ESL overseas (primarily china/korea/japan) killza Volunteering Opportunities 4 07-22-2010 02:08 PM
5.5 Magnitude Earthquake lorend MacInsiders Announcements 4 06-23-2010 09:16 PM
Students Give Generously to Community, to Charity and to Victims of Haitian Quake lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 05-28-2010 09:08 AM
Quake 2/3 Sengoku Gaming 7 04-19-2009 04:29 PM

Massive 8.8-magnitude quake strikes Japan

Old 03-11-2011 at 09:44 AM   #16
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Why do people live in zones that are known to have natural disasters occur at them.. I know displacement isn't always an option, but sheesh
Strictly speaking, much of Ontario is at high risk of tornadoes, should we leave? Ottawa even had an earthquake a year or two back. In fact, the vast majority of the world is at risk of some form of natural disaster. Should we all leave?

It's not really fair to blame the impacts of a natural disaster on the inhabitants of the region.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-11-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2011 at 11:22 AM   #17
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Japan is decently prepared for these disasters (and other countries). If this happened in North America thought, gg.
Old 03-11-2011 at 12:29 PM   #18
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_hikari View Post
that's what I've been thinking too, and the weather has kind of been out of whack these few years

kind of having a melt down right now because I have friends in northeastern Japan and more friends of mine just left Toronto Thursday morning for Tokyo and I have yet to hear from any body

and people tweeting about what's going on is not helping, but seriously people, if your life is in immediate danger you do not go on twitter to tweet about the water level or whatever, you gtfo of there

don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight ;^;

On the whole twitter thing, phone lines are down over there, so the only way of communication people have with each other are social networking sites, text message, and email. Those around the world who need to get in contact with those in Japan have been encouraged to use those mediums.
Old 03-11-2011 at 12:30 PM   #19
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

The world is in shambles.
Old 03-11-2011 at 12:31 PM   #20
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
On the whole twitter thing, phone lines are down over there, so the only way of communication people have with each other are social networking sites, text message, and email. Those around the world who need to get in contact with those in Japan have been encouraged to use those mediums.
Such a hipster.

AelyaS likes this.
Old 03-11-2011 at 12:57 PM   #21
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Why do people live in zones that are known to have natural disasters occur at them.. I know displacement isn't always an option, but sheesh
You are right. Displacement isn't always an option.

If you think back a bit, where we are now would be considered a bad place to live with natural disasters occurring yearly (think Winter Storm).

Best part about us have always been our ability to adapt. Human Engineering have come a long way. Now we are able to live and explore almost anywhere on Earth.

Regarding Japan, we should also celebrate at their ability to prepared for such crisis. NY Times had an article on this.

Quote:
From seawalls that line stretches of Japan’s coastline, to skyscrapers that sway to absorb earthquakes, to building codes that are among the world’s most rigorous, no country may be better prepared to withstand earthquakes than Japan.

Had any other populous country suffered the 8.9 magnitude earthquake that shook Japan on Friday, tens of thousands of people might already be counted among the dead. So far, Japan’s death toll is in the hundreds, although it is certain to rise.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/wo...s.html?_r=3&hp

Engineers are like superhero!
Old 03-11-2011 at 01:28 PM   #22
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Apparently the original calculations were wrong, the quake has been updated to a 9.0

It even bent Tokyo Tower
Old 03-11-2011 at 01:34 PM   #23
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

I hope that Japan has better days ahead of them. Really goes to show how fortunate we are.
Old 03-11-2011 at 01:38 PM   #24
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
no no I understand that, that's how I found out my friends are okay, but people are tweeting about how it's flooding where they are and watching the water come towards them, twitter would have been the last thing on my mind
Old 03-11-2011 at 01:46 PM   #25
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Apparently the original calculations were wrong, the quake has been updated to a 9.0

It even bent Tokyo Tower
Old 03-11-2011 at 02:58 PM   #26
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Strictly speaking, much of Ontario is at high risk of tornadoes, should we leave? Ottawa even had an earthquake a year or two back. In fact, the vast majority of the world is at risk of some form of natural disaster. Should we all leave?

It's not really fair to blame the impacts of a natural disaster on the inhabitants of the region.
I was really speaking generally for things that are known disaster zones, like tornado alley, sides of volcanos, the gaza strip, etc. I meant Japan too, but they're getting better at not dying as years go on.
Old 03-11-2011 at 03:08 PM   #27
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Oh, the humanity!
Old 03-11-2011 at 03:25 PM   #28
doug

Liked: 82 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post

Not that I necessarily believe all that 2012 bs; but is it just me or have large scale earthquakes been occurring more frequently throughout past year or two than in previous years?
The same amount of disasters that happened 10 years ago are still happening now, the numbers are not increasing, but they may be clumping together which makes it seem as though more are occurring.

The information age also helps us hear about more and more natural disasters in the world then before as the news would take hours and sometimes days to travel and even then only be published in news papers.

RyanC says thanks to doug for this post.

Pay919, RyanC, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 03-11-2011 at 03:59 PM   #29
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:

You're right, Ontario's tornadoes and Ottawa's earthquake are comparable to 8.9 earthquakes... I guess its like comparing Hummers to SmartCars, sure they are both vehicles but one of them you are going to smile at and the other is going to ****ing rape your face

And the article the OP posted even says 8.9, I guess the OP didn't even read the article they posted
Old 03-11-2011 at 08:28 PM   #30
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
The same amount of disasters that happened 10 years ago are still happening now, the numbers are not increasing, but they may be clumping together which makes it seem as though more are occurring.

The information age also helps us hear about more and more natural disasters in the world then before as the news would take hours and sometimes days to travel and even then only be published in news papers.
Unfortunately, most people can't understand this :(

britb, doug, _Luu_, ~*Sara*~ like this.