MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Master Timetable gunsnroses Academics 10 06-10-2015 07:36 AM
Mc Master EvgeniMalkin Introduce Yourself 0 12-03-2013 05:30 PM
Master Timetable polina_a First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-09-2012 01:19 PM
Master timetable help Lana02 General Discussion 7 08-08-2011 04:08 PM
Master Course Timetable???? The Effekt Academics 5 05-14-2011 04:50 PM

Master Application

Old 06-06-2016 at 03:33 PM   #1
[email protected]

Liked: 0 Times

Master Application
Hello guys, I am a 3rd yr Electrical Engineering student and right now in my coop term. I wonder if I failed a course in 3rd yr(I feel like I was not studying at all at that term...can I still apply for the master of Engineering program(one yr program all taking courses) or the master of science(2 yrs specializing in research, I know this degree is much harder to apply than the other one)? My overall GPA right now is above 9.
Thanks for your answers.
Old 06-07-2016 at 11:54 AM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

If your cumulative GPA is above 9, I'm sure you can easily get into M.Asc...

As for M.Eng, the offer of admission states that your final year GPA must be above B- (besides your general GPA requirements) in order to get it, and you usually receive it once your final year marks are all processed by the committee that clears people for graduation.

[email protected] says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 06-07-2016 at 12:27 PM   #3
[email protected]

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you very much, George!

So the final year's grade will also be very important for the application?

My main concern is that I failed a course in 3rd year, I am not sure how much negative impact it will have on the master's application either for M.Asc or M.Eng.

If I apply for other universities at the same time, like UofT or Waterloo, the requirement would be similar?

I just want to make my final year's GPA as good as I can to make up the bad impacts:(
Old 06-07-2016 at 01:36 PM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thank you very much, George!

So the final year's grade will also be very important for the application?

My main concern is that I failed a course in 3rd year, I am not sure how much negative impact it will have on the master's application either for M.Asc or M.Eng.

If I apply for other universities at the same time, like UofT or Waterloo, the requirement would be similar?

I just want to make my final year's GPA as good as I can to make up the bad impacts:(
Well yeah, it has to be. That's what it says in the actual offer letter I got. I am not sure whether they look at your total GPA of the past 2 years individually per year, or they count them as one, might wanna email the ECE graduate office and ask.

Most universities award masters based on your cumulative GPA, and are far more competitive. Waterloo for example, while the university lists minimal requirements of B in the past 2 years, the actual Engineering programs require you to have at least B+ total GPA. They also take longer to process your application. I believe in UofT you have to apply in Winter for start in September. As far as your failed course goes, I doubt they will look at anything other than your CGPA.

Also, thought I should tell you if you don't know, if you apply for M.Asc, you are automatically considered for M.Eng, so if you don't get picked up by a prof for M.Asc, you should get M.Eng offer by default. I don't know if other universities do the same.

Personally I think M.Eng is where it's at, you only need M.Asc is you want to get PhD.