MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Materials 1M03 book for sale! blackdragon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 01-05-2010 11:03 PM
Materials 1M03 textbook for SALE !! 7th Edition musavem First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 01-05-2010 05:22 PM
bio 1m03 materials question Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-12-2009 12:26 PM
Materials 1M03 TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-24-2009 09:50 PM

Materials 1M03

Materials 1M03
Basically macroscopic chemistry.
Published by Ownaginatios
04-29-2009
Published by
Trolling ain't easy

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
50%50%50%
Easiness
50%50%50%
Average 63%
Materials 1M03

This course is a required course for all first year engineering students and occurs only in the second semester (basically replacing chemistry in your time table).

Basically what you learn in Materials is the physical properties of substances rather than the chemical properties, as you would in chemistry. Units include stress/strain, electrical conductivity, and thermal expansion; just to name a few. More boring units include the different type of carbon-steel microstructures (i.e. Martensite, Banite, Pearlite. etc), but luckily these units are quite short.

Walking into this course I completely hated the idea of it since it sounded like another chemistry class. The professor I had was Gian-Luigi Botton, and he really sucked. The problem is that he's "too" good at Materials Engineering (since he's the head of it at McMaster) to be teaching a first year course. He goes way too fast since all this stuff seems obvious to him.

Therefore, I switched to Hatem Zurob's class, since he's the one who is head of the course. He's a great professor and goes slow to allow you to take down notes and absorb the content. I recommend going to his lectures instead since he also tends to give out "hints" as to what will be on the tests and the final exam.

The course consists of two tests, worth 18.5% each, six assignments on the computer worth 3% each, a "mock" assignment, which is basically a free 2% and the final exam worth 45%.

The tests are pretty straight forwards, and you can bring in a double-sided cheat sheet of whatever you want for each and the final exam. The only complaint I have about the tests is that they had very few questions. This meant that if you get one multiple choice question wrong; it could take up to 5% off of your test mark.

The assignments were alright since you get 3 chances on each one (with different questions of course).

Overall, I would say this is one of those courses where you don't see the point of it until it's completely done; to show you what you'd be doing if you selected Materials Engineering as your stream in second year. I found it okay since you do learn a few interesting things here and there. I'm glad that I never have to do anything like it again though

Recommendations I can give are, take notes! I really regretted not having done this at the end because it made studying for the final exam a lot harder.

On a side note: DO NOT buy the text book for this class. The electronic version is available for free on DC++. It's actually better than the real thing because you can just search for key words while doing assignments.

DeeNos, xxsumz all say thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

RyanC, ThagsanaR like this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Materials 1M03!

Old 05-06-2009 at 04:21 PM   #2
ericvan1

Liked: 1 Time
Got stuck with Botton as professor, was a poor teacher. Zurob is much better. Found there was a disconnect between the textbook and what was on tests. Get the good professor and study old tests. Large # of concepts, but math was not difficult.
Old 04-12-2010 at 10:27 PM   #3
iby242

Liked: 0 Times
Zurob was great, instead of repeating what is in the book, he takes time to explain key concepts (you can read book on your own) and does great job with test reviews. course material builds on Chem-I. it is moderately fast, book is available as PDF. one can bring his/her own crib sheet to tests (one sheet, 8x11") but several ready ones are circulating (just talk to collegues). 5-6 online quizes (the last one was cancelled since we didn't have time to cover last chapter).
Old 06-09-2010 at 10:27 AM   #4
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times
I had Dr. Hoyt. He was alright but I couldn't wake up for the 8.30 class so I skipped most of them. Do all the 3 tries for the assignments if you can. Otherwise just submit and save the answers so that you can use the questions as practice for the mid terms and exam. It is a fairly straight forward class. I know in our year we got screwed over with the mid terms. But I believe they improved the questions on them now. The books was useful (electronic) and I also torrented the solution manual for it. You don't have to read all of it. But it is good to have as reference. The best prof is Dr. Zurob for sure. I went to his office hours and he helps you a lot.

Last edited by jajas : 06-09-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Old 08-12-2010 at 09:28 PM   #5
Schr0d1ng3r

I found that this course can be learned by a combination of rearranging for units, knowing which variables represent what in your equations, making (not copying) a good crib sheet, and basic commonsense logic. Lectures actually didn't help me all that much. All in all though, I didn't personally find this course very difficult. Some of my friends did, however.
Old 12-15-2011 at 09:03 PM   #6
DaveyA

Liked: 1 Time
is Kish a good prof?
Old 12-26-2011 at 05:52 PM   #7
qazqwezxc

what about kitai?
Old 08-13-2012 at 05:25 PM   #8
tepsica

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyA View Post
is Kish a good prof?
Yes he is, in fact all 3 professors were excellent when I took this course; Zurob, Kish, and Provatas.
Old 06-12-2015 at 11:14 PM   #9
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times
There were new profs this year, Grandfield, Rossouw and Langelier.
Just get the course over with, since you have to take it. Luckily there are no tutorials. The assignments are easy if you understand the steps you need to do. They did have a drop in center where you can go for help. If you are able to do the weekly quiz's you can safely assume you'll do well in the midterms and exam as long as you review the notes as well.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search