MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math 1LS3/1A03 abd786687 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-27-2011 08:08 PM
Help needed fast: Math 1LS3 vs Math 1A03 luna Academics 3 09-15-2010 07:59 PM
Completed MATH 1LS3 but need to take MATH 1A03 too jachill Academics 3 04-22-2009 02:31 PM

Math 1A03 or 1LS3

Old 06-28-2011 at 08:56 AM   #16
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

ok ladies listen up...

Remember in high school you could take academic or applied or that other one for stoners? You took academic I bet for most of your courses. Why? Because you didn't want to close doors.

Therefore why take the lesser 1ls3 when you can take 1a03? It is not that bad. You pretty much have 3 things you do.

1/4=functions (mainly review)
1/4 derivatives (mainly review)
1/2= integrals (not review)

Integrals is where everyone messes up with but integrals are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO useful to know.

I mean when you learn triple integrals in 2a03 and find the volume of sphere this way it is like WOWOWOWOWOW that is amazing.

The hard part of 1a03 is the integrals but really the only hard part of the integrals is the more the deeper understanding behind them. Actually calculating them isn't too hard to do if you know the rules right because as you will learn there really is only 3 ways to do them: part, substitution and direct integration. (i realize there are variations to each one like there is a trig substitution method but again it is just a substitution)

Biochem47, Willmountain, xFLY like this.
Old 06-28-2011 at 10:18 AM   #17
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

What doors does it close.. They are anti requisites.

IqzFendi says thanks to Chandlerowns for this post.
Old 06-28-2011 at 10:21 AM   #18
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
I did A2 maths too! Yay for finding someone else who's done it. Let me tell you, though, 1A03 covers like 85% of the same thing as A2 Pure maths. All the integrations (just a couple new ones), volume under a curve and stuff, and the exams are really easy, too, But good luck with LS3 anyhow...it is the easier one.

Thanks so much! I'll still with LS3 but thanks for giving me the confidence in Math again! haha, oh an i love how you say Maths :p I miss saying that! When did you do your A levels?

Faer likes this.
Old 06-28-2011 at 10:23 AM   #19
IqzFendi

Hmm..i don't understand why 1A03 is BETTER when I'm just aiming for a Bio Major and a Psych minor? Isn't it just extra work for something I don't really need? I'm always someone who took higher level and advanced courses but only if there were a point to them, my grad school aim in med school and I've read that 1LS3 is good enough for that, right?
Old 06-28-2011 at 10:29 AM   #20
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IqzFendi View Post
Thanks so much! I'll still with LS3 but thanks for giving me the confidence in Math again! haha, oh an i love how you say Maths :p I miss saying that! When did you do your A levels?
LOL. I did them in the year...uhm... *counts* 2009. Yep. And I'm assuming you're still waiting on your grades? So good luck. I know how nerve-wracking waiting for them is (I was huddled underneath my parents' duvet when my father was finding out my AS Level results ).

Quote:
Hmm..i don't understand why 1A03 is BETTER when I'm just aiming for a Bio Major and a Psych minor? Isn't it just extra work for something I don't really need? I'm always someone who took higher level and advanced courses but only if there were a point to them, my grad school aim in med school and I've read that 1LS3 is good enough for that, right?
It's just better worth for your money, especially when you like maths. Plus, LS3 can be substituted fro A03 ONLY when you get above a 10 or so...which should be very doable, but still...

Oh, and some upper-year courses, even in Bio, might require Maths 1A03. Just make sure that that's not the case!

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 06-28-2011 at 10:32 AM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
LOL. I did them in the year...uhm... *counts* 2009. Yep. And I'm assuming you're still waiting on your grades? So good luck. I know how nerve-wracking waiting for them is (I was huddled underneath my parents' duvet when my father was finding out my AS Level results ).

It's just better worth for your money, especially when you like maths. Plus, LS3 can be substituted fro A03 ONLY when you get above a 10 or so...which should be very doable, but still...

Oh, and some upper-year courses, even in Bio, might require Maths 1A03. Just make sure that that's not the case!
It's actually a B- or more, which I believe is a 7. But that's only if you want to take Math 1AA3, you can still take Math 1LT3 which allows you to take upper year maths if you want.
Old 06-28-2011 at 10:38 AM   #22
IqzFendi

I already got my A level results! I did them last year I was in York from Jan to April and now I'm transferring to Mac! I'll check out what you've said about both Math, I'll shoot my academic advisor an email to verify if i need 1A03 or not
Old 06-28-2011 at 10:40 AM   #23
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Well, good luck! I didn't think it was a B- and above, which is...pretty good, haha.

IqzFendi says thanks to Faer for this post.
Old 06-28-2011 at 07:42 PM   #24
reddevilchil

Liked: 2 Times

Depending on which route you want to take, the Math 1A03 & 1LS3 are the exact same course but the 1A03 uses examples like there was a train and an airplane, etc.. Where as the Math 1LS3 uses examples like there was a colony of bacteria, etc. So depending on which route of study you want to take, ie engineering or biological sciences, will determine which course is best for you.

IqzFendi says thanks to reddevilchil for this post.
Old 06-28-2011 at 10:56 PM   #25
The Guardian

Liked: 3 Times

A word of caution, though Math 1LS3 classes are easier the classes can be tremendously boring sometimes. Passing with an 11 or 12 isn't that hard either, so keep Math 1AA3 in mind if you've changed your mind and you want a program that's more math-intensive.

If you're worried about transitioning from LS3 to AA3 don't worry, there was nothing significant that I needed to take from 1LS3 to 1AA3 to do well. Just saying, it's an option =)

IqzFendi says thanks to The Guardian for this post.
Old 06-28-2011 at 11:30 PM   #26
usahockey

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Does anyone know which one is easier? I've done intense A level math for 2 years and I can do math but I just want an easy course so that I can concentrate on my other courses as I'm taking a few 2nd year courses this semester too.
atta boy. easy buddy, don't be bragging here big guy
Old 06-29-2011 at 12:30 AM   #27
IqzFendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey View Post
atta boy. easy buddy, don't be bragging here big guy

It's not bragging, I was trying to show a realistic idea to what my needs and abilities are so that I can take the right course

Thank you everyone for the great advice!
Old 06-29-2011 at 12:40 AM   #28
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

If you want to waste your money and learn nothing take 1LS3. Do a search on MI, there are already lots of threads about 1LS3 vs 1A03.

1A03 is easy, if you can handle gr 12 calculus, you can do 1a03 with no problem. If you really suck at math and just need the calculus requirement to do w/e else you want later on then take 1ls3.

IqzFendi says thanks to Krusenik for this post.

macsci likes this.
Old 06-29-2011 at 02:40 AM   #29
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

If Dr. Lovric is teaching MATH 1LS3, TAKE IT. He's good, really good.

arathbon, Willmountain like this.