Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help needed fast: Math 1LS3 vs Math 1A03 luna Academics 3 09-15-2010 07:59 PM

Math 1a03

Old 06-20-2011 at 03:21 PM   #1
aw07

Liked: 24 Times

Math 1a03
I took gr 12 calculus, didnt really put 100 percent effort into the course because I had a heavy courseload, chemistry, physics it was a trimesterized school !!! I finished with a 75, do you think its necesarry to review gr 12 calc for Math 1 a03?! Debating whether or not to go to summer school
Old 06-20-2011 at 03:34 PM   #2
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Nah, they cover a lot of gr12 calc throughout the course. The only new stuff you may not be familiar with is integration but that's like the last part of the course.
Old 06-20-2011 at 03:37 PM   #3
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Last year integration came first, but it's mostly that in the course so no big deal. I think they expect that you have seen differentiation before since they don't spend too long on it, but it will all be familiar.

Edit: Don't bother going to summer school for a review. If you can differentiate different kinds of function, you're fine.
Old 06-20-2011 at 05:27 PM   #4
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

Math 1A03 is essentially grade 12 calc. And they teach you integration so don't worry. It's easy.
Old 06-20-2011 at 05:52 PM   #5
luna

Liked: 10 Times

it depends on how you are in math and not your mark in it. instead of taking summer school and wasting your time (it won't even count toward university) just review the material yourself and you can always switch to math ils3 if u find math ia03 too difficult.
I had grade 12 math and passed it with mid 80s. In university I took math 1a03, because i thought i could do it looking at my high school math mark, and we started with integration. I didn't get anything, even from the textnook, and so switched to math ils3. this was because even though i had 85 in high school math i just didn't get math (even in highschool). I had some friends stay in math 1a03 and passed it but they're initially good in math. Also, I think a lot of people switched out because it seemed too hard plus the prof and ta I got weren't that good and my prof went really fast. so if ur really good in math u can still do good in math 1a03. math ils3 can be taken if u want to get an easier math. but i took it and was bored out of my mind because the content can go as far as grade 9 but we still covered integration which is the new stuff.
overall, it depends on whether ur a math student or not. if even with low mark in high school u can make ur self get a high mark in math 1a03 because u get math then just take math 1a03 and don't bother with summer school. also focus on getting a good prof and ta. this really contributes to how well u do in class.

Last edited by luna : 06-20-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2011 at 08:44 PM   #6
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

There's not much that's new in the course. It should be pretty straightforward, although they tend to ask annoying questions for integration where you need to memorize particular integrals

Old 06-20-2011 at 09:17 PM   #7
omgmt

Liked: 21 Times

you can also take Math 1LS3 (&LT3)
We learned basically the same stuff as A03/AA3 but it was much easier. If you want a high GPA and a somewhat lighter load I'd suggest taking LS3 instead
Old 06-20-2011 at 09:47 PM   #8
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

You didn't learn the same stuff as people in 1A03. For example, you did not have to integrate for the volume of a curve revolving around an axis.

Here's a practice exam (we covered everything there):

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~haskell/math1a_10-11/PractiseFinal.pdf

Note: I'm not bashing 1LS3. I'm just saying that it's not "basically the same stuff". We went in more depth when it comes to integration.

Eternal Fire, Faer like this.
Old 06-20-2011 at 09:49 PM   #9
abelon3

Liked: 12 Times

Don't take math 1ls3, as long as you do all of the practice problems and get help whenever you don't get something, you should be fine in math 1a03. A good portion of the material is grade 12 review. So do yourself a favour and take math 1a03, and put good use to your money. Math 1a03 will help you in your other classes as well (physics, chemistry).
Old 06-20-2011 at 09:52 PM   #10
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw07 View Post
I took gr 12 calculus, didnt really put 100 percent effort into the course because I had a heavy courseload, chemistry, physics it was a trimesterized school !!! I finished with a 75, do you think its necesarry to review gr 12 calc for Math 1 a03?! Debating whether or not to go to summer school
Unless you really wanna go into math or physics. I would advise against taking math 1a03. Take math 1ls3 instead. But you can also go into both math and physics majors with 1ls3 and 1lt3 but they are not considered at the levels of 1a03 and 1aa3. 1Lt3 was brand new course last year and I have heard that it was very similar to 1aa3 in levels of difficulty. But 1ls3 is much easier than 1a03.
Old 06-20-2011 at 10:54 PM   #11
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

If you ever need help during the year, the Math Help Center in the basement of Hamilton Hall is an awesome place to go. The TAs there are great. I actually know a few people that would skip lecture and just head over to the Math Help Center instead (we had a pretty crappy prof).

Old 06-21-2011 at 04:01 AM   #12
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

The assignments for Maths 1A03 could become a huge pain in the neck, but at the end of the day, I found all exams to be extremely easy. In the sense, if you were confident with integrating, there would be no confusing or twisted questions - it would just be a basic apply-and-solve sort of thing. So as long as you keep up with practicing sums and what not, provided the level of ease remains the same, you can easily pull off a >10 mark.
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:07 AM   #13
Sheikia

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
There's not much that's new in the course.

I don't really know what you are talking about. For me almost all of the course was completely new. Only the part with differentiation was familiar to me.

I think you should be fine. Seeing as a lot of it is new, it actually helps you because almost everyone is starting off with a blank slate. That's what I found.

Basically, do the assignments. They can get really hard at some times, but if you do get the majority of them (90% of them) then you should be fine. The tests ended up being really really easy compared to the assignments.

One of the questions on our test was: Find the integral of x.
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:45 AM   #14
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikia View Post
I don't really know what you are talking about. For me almost all of the course was completely new. Only the part with differentiation was familiar to me.

I think you should be fine. Seeing as a lot of it is new, it actually helps you because almost everyone is starting off with a blank slate. That's what I found.

Basically, do the assignments. They can get really hard at some times, but if you do get the majority of them (90% of them) then you should be fine. The tests ended up being really really easy compared to the assignments.

One of the questions on our test was: Find the integral of x.
I guess his grade 12 teacher covered more stuff than yours...
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:50 AM   #15
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
I guess his grade 12 teacher covered more stuff than yours...
If the teacher did, he or she went beyond what's required in the curriculum, which is great, by the way.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curricu...h1112currb.pdf
As you can see in the link, the only topics covered in the course (MCV 4U) is differentiation and some applications, as well as the basics in vectors.