Help needed fast: Math 1LS3 vs Math 1A03 luna Academics 3 09-15-2010 07:59 PM

Math 1a03

Old 06-21-2011 at 09:16 AM   #16
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikia View Post
I don't really know what you are talking about. For me almost all of the course was completely new. Only the part with differentiation was familiar to me.
I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by 'new'. Of course there are a couple of new methods that you would have been taught (integrative methods, most notably, along with tricks like L'Hospital's rule and so on), but conceptually there really isn't much that's 'new' in 1A03. The methods for integration are defined in terms of a calculus intuition you should have after 2 courses in the subject.
Compare this to something like math 1B03 - you may not learn a lot of new methods (many people may know bits and pieces of vector & matrix arithmetic), but you should learn a whole lot in conceptual terms.

Old 06-21-2011 at 09:49 AM   #17
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Plus, there is barely anything new in math 1a03. The entire part of the course dealing with differentiation is essentially review.

You can learn the theory of integration (~2 lectures), integration by parts (1 lecture), substitution (1 lecture), dirty trig substitution (~2 lectures) and regular trig substitution (~1 lecture). That's like how we learned most of our trig when I took 1a03. In the last 2-3 weeks of the course we squeezed all of it in. Therefore the first entire stretch was review.

Compared to math 1aa3, where most people don't know how to do polar curves, work with sequences/series, have no idea what Taylor series/Power series is, can't do multivariable calc, in that case the entire course is new material (though also quite easy).
Old 06-21-2011 at 10:13 AM   #18
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

1A03 is basically a review of grade 12 calculus and you learn a bit of integration. If you like 1A03, you could take 1AA3 in term 2 which is a much more interesting course.

As an alternative, 1LS3/1LT3 are new and easier courses that cover similar material.

If you want to do less work and get a good grade, probably go with the 1L series. If you want to learn math, go with the 1A series.