MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help needed fast: Math 1LS3 vs Math 1A03 luna Academics 3 09-15-2010 07:59 PM
Math 1ls3 Or Math 1a03 maryam17 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 36 07-16-2009 12:36 PM
math 1A03 or math 1LS3 shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-04-2009 09:26 PM
Completed MATH 1LS3 but need to take MATH 1A03 too jachill Academics 3 04-22-2009 02:31 PM

MATH 1A03 and MATH 1LS3

Old 06-26-2009 at 05:50 PM   #16
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serps View Post
Which math course is better for a student going into commerce? Just wondering if 1A03 is a prerequisite for one of my future courses because I would really prefer an easier math class.
commerce has own math course i believe
Old 06-26-2009 at 05:54 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
commerce has own math course i believe
True, I forgot all about that:

Math 1K03: Introduction Calculus for Business, Humanities and Social Sciences
This is for Completed Grade 11 Math students

Math 1M03: Calculus for Business, Humanities and Social Sciences
This is if you have completed Grade 12 Math.
Old 06-26-2009 at 08:39 PM   #18
Serps

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
True, I forgot all about that:

Math 1K03: Introduction Calculus for Business, Humanities and Social Sciences
This is for Completed Grade 11 Math students

Math 1M03: Calculus for Business, Humanities and Social Sciences
This is if you have completed Grade 12 Math.
I believe you are wrong here since the math courses in high schools have changed in recent years.

Now it goes more like this:

Math 1K03: For people who did NOT take Calc for Grade 12
Math 1M03: For people who did take Calc for Grade 12

I am pretty sure about this one, but please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-26-2009 at 11:19 PM   #19
mumbojumbo

Liked: 10 Times

1LS3 and 1A03 are basically the same courses. If you get 10+ in 1LS3 though, you will have an equivalent course credit as 1A03.

The stuff you learn in 1LS3 will pretty much the same as high school (at least in my class) and you WILL learn integrals and antiderivatives in the end which is the same as the 1A03 course. If I have to describe 1LS3, it is a less "lean" version of 1A03. There will be extra stuff that you have to learn that you probably did not learn in high school because it was too easy.

I had high marks in calculus in high school and took this class nevertheless only because the Math 1A03 was full and couldn't register for it. Fairly easy course. Get a 10+ mark and you can continue your math prereq to take more advance math courses such as Math 1AA3, the continuation of Math 1A03.
Old 06-27-2009 at 07:37 AM   #20
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Math 1LS3 teaches you things that are completely useless even for life science, I assure you...things like cobwebbing, you will never need to manually calculate or ever apply. And if you ever do, you'll learn it later on. You don't learn any real calculus until half way through the course and you barely cover integrals which is what you really should learn.
This.

my roommate took 1A03 and I took 1L03 and honestly its quite a difference. the first half of the year you learn absolutely useless garbage/ review from advanced functions. its not until the last month or so that the new and useful stuff ie integrals are taught. in 1A03 they spend half the term on them!

however if you don't plan on taking math later than yes take this one. its a bird course. though I recommend getting the courseware but not the textbook..chances are if you want to practice than the courseware will be enough.