MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are Yr1 Commerce students allowed to take Math 1A03? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-28-2009 12:13 AM

Math 1a03 Capped For Life Sci Students?

Old 07-03-2009 at 11:34 PM   #16
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLulu View Post
I have the exact same problem. I was able to sign up for my courses the very first day and math 1A03 was already full right at midnight. I need it also and apparently there are no seats left after a friend of mine emailed the math department. ugh... very depressing.. I don't know what to do?
What faculty are you in?
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:38 PM   #17
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Unless you're specifically planning to take upper level maths, you don't really need to go through 1A03/1AA3. If you want to leave the door open for physics in 2nd year, then it's probably a good idea. Also, it's probably a good idea to take math 1b03.
Old 07-19-2009 at 03:29 PM   #18
chico

Liked: 0 Times

HI
I'm in Life Science and i'm planing be in either the Chemistry or Biochemistry programs in 2nd year. Does any know first hand if Math 1aa3 is required for later years or where i can find a course list speifically for these level 2 programs??

thanks
Old 07-19-2009 at 03:41 PM   #19
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

You don't need Math 1AA3 for Biochem or Chem

Course Calendar: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1466.html

Find the program you're interested in and it will give you the courses you need to complete.
Old 07-19-2009 at 03:50 PM   #20
chico

Liked: 0 Times

thanks Harlequin
so do you think that im okay in staying in Math Ls3 rather then swithing to the A03 course? im not afraid of calc but i'd have to change my entire schedual to fit the Ao3 since it's in a different semester then the Math LS3 i have now.
Old 07-19-2009 at 03:53 PM   #21
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

If you don't plan on pursuing math or physics any further you won't need 1AA3 and if you don't need 1AA3 you don't need 1A03. I'd stick with 1LS3, it was a very easy course and it seems that it would be a hassle for you to take A03 anyway.
Old 07-19-2009 at 06:04 PM   #22
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

I took math 1LS3 and it is really easy, and if you get a 10 (an A-) you can take math 1AA3 after (if you need too). One of my friends couldn't get into math 1A03 like he wanted and after he called them they let him in. What are you going into second year though, because I asked the director of one of the biochem programs about math requirements and she said that she knows 5 equations, none involving calculus so I wouldn't wake math 1A03 unless you actually need it or are pursuing a physics or math based minor or such.

ps: Even if math 1A03 may seem like a more "smart" for better lack of words, math there is no point in taking it if you'll never need to use half the info from it (for anyone who's facing this dilemma like I was in first year)
good luck

Last edited by salimak : 07-19-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added post script