MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compare Math 1lt3 And Math 1aa3 ? ruby101 Academics 21 07-07-2010 03:32 PM
Math 1AA3 or Math 1BO3 (or both, and no inquiry) macsci Academics 2 07-10-2008 10:25 PM

Math 1AA3 disappointing

Old 01-13-2015 at 12:27 PM   #1
Woodplank
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Math 1AA3 disappointing
While Stewart's book does try to prove things, the professor simply tells us the results to everything without any attempts at mathematical rigor. I've got to ask, why is calculus so dumbed down at Mac? At U of T for example they have Mat 137 (a decent balance between calculations and proofs) as well as Mat 157 (a full-out course on analysis).

Imperious likes this.
Old 01-13-2015 at 03:12 PM   #2
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

It must just be the prof or the course itself causing you to feel this way. Speaking from experience, engineering 2nd year term 2 calculus was death. Fucking Gabardo...
Old 01-13-2015 at 04:25 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Who is the prof? When I took it, we did proofs.
It's pretty unfair to generalize your experience in one course with one prof to all calculus at Mac. Also, the author of the textbook is a former Mac prof (he died about a month ago).
Old 01-13-2015 at 04:31 PM   #4
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

I'm pretty sure it's just because all our tests are multiple choice anyways and theyre not expecting us to know/understand the proofs so they don't bother teaching it
Old 01-13-2015 at 05:53 PM   #5
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Take 1XX instead.
Old 01-13-2015 at 06:29 PM   #6
Woodplank
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Who is the prof? When I took it, we did proofs.
It's pretty unfair to generalize your experience in one course with one prof to all calculus at Mac. Also, the author of the textbook is a former Mac prof (he died about a month ago).
The prof's Andrew Nicas. I'm not badmouthing Stewart, and I already heard that he died in December.

I read ahead in the textbook and just sit around in class while people copy dumb downed notes.

Last edited by Woodplank : 01-13-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2015 at 06:34 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodplank View Post
The prof's Andrew Nicas. I'm not badmouthing Stewart, and I already heard that he died in December.
I never said you were badmouthing him. Since you seemed to approve of the textbook, I was merely pointing out that the author used to teach math at Mac - it was an example as to why your generalization about calculus being so dumbed down at Mac is false.
Old 01-13-2015 at 06:46 PM   #8
chupachups

I've taken 3-4 courses with Nicas and his notes are always very straightforward and simple. His tests are mainly computational as well, but he will include some harder questions that are algebraically rigorous as well as some MC on theorems. His exams are usually harder than the midterms, which are pretty easy. You have to remember that Math 1AA3 is calculus for science students and math courses that provide motivation for topics in real analysis would be Math 1XX3, 2X03, 2XX3. I highly recommend you take advanced calculus next year (it requires Math 1AA3), but it's mainly computational as well. If you're looking for a challenge, then take Math 1C03 (Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning) with Haskell. It's offered this term and still open.

starfish likes this.
Old 01-13-2015 at 09:49 PM   #9
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dream View Post
It must just be the prof or the course itself causing you to feel this way. Speaking from experience, engineering 2nd year term 2 calculus was death. Fucking Gabardo...
We do not speak his name.

2Dream likes this.
Old 01-14-2015 at 07:28 AM   #10
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious View Post
I'm pretty sure it's just because all our tests are multiple choice anyways and theyre not expecting us to know/understand the proofs so they don't bother teaching it
Just because tests are multiple choice, doesnt mean you arent expected to know/understand the proofs. How do you think you get to the correct answer of a multiple choice question (aside from guessing) without performing the proof/calculations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
We do not speak his name.
LMAO this is some He Who Must Not Be Named shit right here!