Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compare Math 1lt3 And Math 1aa3 ? ruby101 Academics 21 07-07-2010 03:32 PM

math 1aa3, is it hard?

Old 07-09-2009 at 10:42 PM   #1
nadia1

Liked: 3 Times

math 1aa3, is it hard?
i was just wondering if math 1aa3 is hard?
or if u do all the problems from the hmwk, it is not that bad, i have heard mixed reviews but i do well in math when i work hard and i enjoy it in general.
Old 07-09-2009 at 10:52 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

yes it is very hard. it was the hardest course I took last year.
Old 07-09-2009 at 10:56 PM   #3
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Agreed. It`s definitely a difficult course. It is manageable, if you work very very very hard at it, and really stay on top of things.

I don`t know about anyone else, but personally, I found the profs to be a factor in why I found the course so difficult.
Old 07-09-2009 at 11:06 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I found it alright. Some of the concepts can be hard to understand but as long as you don't do everything last minute you can do well.
Old 07-09-2009 at 11:22 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Math 1AA3 is, in my opinion, the toughest out of itself, 1A03, 1B03, 2A03, 2C03 and 2R03...but Linear Algebra was my strong suit, and I found sequences and series more difficult (when I was in first year at least).

Note that though the material may be easier than in say, 2A03, the biggest problem is the jump in expectations. Most students (including myself) are caught off guard. Study hard for your tests...the jump from 1A to 1AA is huge...the jump from 1AA to 2A isn't as big.

Use the resources available to the best of your abilities (such as the Math Help Centre in Hamilton Hall, your TA/Professor's office hours, tutoring, etc.) and you'll do just fine. The course is split into three sections:

1) Advanced integration techniques (functions of one variable) - Integration by Parts, Trigonometric Substitution, Partial Fractions, etc.
2) Sequences and Series - Taylor Series expansions, convergence tests, some limiting properties
3) Time permitting, Polar Coordinates and higher dimensional calculus - Identifying Saddles, Maxima, Minima, Paraboloids, etc. from their functional equations.

3) is an introduction to what's covered in Math 2A03 or 2X03/2XX3 in 2nd year, and its topics may vary.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 07-09-2009 at 11:47 PM   #6
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

I'm sorry, but I'm just coming down off an "Office" binge and I saw the opportunity which was promptly seized and utilized here:

math 1aa3, is it hard? - thats what she said.

That being said, I had a really close friend who took it and she said its one of those classes where mathematically inclined people get it and do well, whereas the less mathematically inclined among us do rather poorly. But its all a matter of personal opinion.
Old 07-09-2009 at 11:59 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

How would you explain "mathematically inclined" cuz I really feel that high school math isn't a good representation of anyone's capabilities.
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:00 AM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
How would you explain "mathematically inclined" cuz I really feel that high school math isn't a good representation of anyone's capabilities.
Basically how good you are at understanding theorems (there are quite a few) as well as application. Math shouldn't be about memorizing, it should be about understanding. Otherwise it's going to be very hard to do well (Unless you are like an amazing memorizer).

strawbrryjam says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-10-2009 at 12:08 AM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Ohh I get it. Thanks Jeremy! I guess I'll have to make sure I'm 110% prepared before the course =/
jklm572
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-17-2009 at 04:42 PM   #10
ebfrancis

Liked: 0 Times

I took this course last year. Make sure sure u do enough problems, and look at the answer in the solution manual..give urslef a time when u think abt a certain problem..cuz this will help u alot. If you like math and enjoy thinking abt it, go for it...If u are not inclined to math or u think that u r forced to take it, don't ever take it cuz it might be quite challenging..In general, people have aptitude for different courses, so ultimately it just depends on you..I personally think that it is a very interesting course
Old 08-17-2009 at 04:43 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Also, when you don't understand something don't just look up the answers all the time. It's important to know how to arrive to the answer. Use your resources which are your teacher, the math help centre, friends, etc...
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:33 PM   #12
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I did poorly in high school math (83% in calculus), but got a 12 in 1AA3. It's not that bad as long as you understand the concepts and do a lot of practice problems. The practice problems help you get into the right mode of thinking and it speeds up the thinking process for tests.
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:34 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
I did poorly in high school math (83% in calculus), but got a 12 in 1AA3. It's not that bad as long as you understand the concepts and do a lot of practice problems. The practice problems help you get into the right mode of thinking and it speeds up the thinking process for tests.
Whoa, you consider 83% poorly? o.O
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:37 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Whoa, you consider 83% poorly? o.O
Compared to people who bragged about their 95% in Calculus in my first year. :p