math 1aa3, is it hard?

Old 08-17-2009 at 05:39 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Compared to people who bragged about their 95% in Calculus in my first year. :p
Lol, I guess... but 83% is still above average (or should be anyways).
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:45 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I would consider it "not good" too, maybe not "poorly" But that's based on seeing the standards of people in high school >.<
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:47 PM   #18
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Compared to people who bragged about their 95% in Calculus in my first year. :p
Haha, I've seen way too many of those in high school, not looking forward to seeing that again in sept >.<
Old 08-17-2009 at 05:56 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Haha, I've seen way too many of those in high school, not looking forward to seeing that again in sept >.<
I'm assuming you didn't see it on your report card. Generally, I try not to brag about/reveal my marks. I am curious as to how well I do compared to the class though, so I end up asking people what they got. Which most of the times leads to them asking what I got >.<

Because when I do really bad I want to know if it's because it was the test or just because I'm an idiot.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:03 PM   #20
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

I managed low 80s in calculus in high school and it was somewhat a struggle (I actually failed the high school exam for Advanced Functions) but with Math 1AA3, I managed to get a 11.

I did just about all the practise questions recommended for each week, all the tutorial questions, and all the webassign assignments. If I couldn't solve a webassign question, I would work through the problem until I could solve it or ask at the math help centre.

Then, when midterms came, I would re-do some of the practise questions. A good idea is to put a star beside more challenging questions, and questions that really grill the theorems. That way, you can go back to them to practise. For exams, re-do your midterms for good practise measure too. I know the professors can be somewhat unhelpful or difficult to understand. I would read through the sections after class and work through the concepts in the textbook myself. It helped a lot.

The biggest key is to make sure you understand the concepts very well before you work through the problems.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:09 PM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm assuming you didn't see it on your report card. Generally, I try not to brag about/reveal my marks. I am curious as to how well I do compared to the class though, so I end up asking people what they got. Which most of the times leads to them asking what I got >.<

Because when I do really bad I want to know if it's because it was the test or just because I'm an idiot.
Actually no, I've gotten 90+ in all my math courses since grade 7, I'm just not one of those people who brag about it, after all marks are for your own good. What good will it do if I flaunt it? Like you said, a lot of people ask me, yet I don't ask them. It's just one of those moments of curiosity.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:19 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Actually no, I've gotten 90+ in all my math courses since grade 7, I'm just not one of those people who brag about it, after all marks are for your own good. What good will it do if I flaunt it? Like you said, a lot of people ask me, yet I don't ask them. It's just one of those moments of curiosity.
Actually, I believe that marks are completely useless unless you compare them to the class average. A 95 in a 95 class average is just average? According to me a 70 is good in a failing class average.

Sadly universities and graduate schools don't judge like that and it's a real shame.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:30 PM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

True, but I've never seen a class average higher than.. hmm 82? So as long as I was higher than that I don't really need the class average. Also, on your report card it shows the course median and/or average most of the time.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:36 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
True, but I've never seen a class average higher than.. hmm 82? So as long as I was higher than that I don't really need the class average. Also, on your report card it shows the course median and/or average most of the time.
Yeah, but in terms of tests it doesn't. My physics class had a really high average... somewhere in the high 80s. No one had lower than a 70 and the majority of the people had mid 80s to high 90s. (This is grade 12 physics by the way)
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:47 PM   #25
poof

Liked: 0 Times

yes. I took it last year and it was very tough. I did very poorly on both of my midterms but I managed to get a 11 suprisingly.

I didn't go to the lectures (Dr.Nicas) cause it was in the morning and I felt that he was just deriving some theorems.. but do attend all the tutorials! The TA goes over all the even questions that are not found in the solution manual.

Do all the recommended questions from the textbook. Very important!
Make sure you understand all the concepts demonstrated from the examples. They show up often in midterms/exam as multiple choices.
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:54 PM   #26
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I remember meeting a guy in my first Math 1A03 tutorial who bragged that he got 97 in high school calc. First midterm we got back and he got something like 30%
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:09 PM   #27
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
I remember meeting a guy in my first Math 1A03 tutorial who bragged that he got 97 in high school calc. First midterm we got back and he got something like 30%
I got a 92 in HS Calc and I got a 40% on my first 1M03 midterm. It's not a big deal, sometimes people blank and such or have something come up and they didn't have time to do problems. But I guess if he was bragging like he said he was, I guess that explains your ""

Lol.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-17-2009 at 08:18 PM   #28
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I got a 92 in HS Calc and I got a 40% on my first 1M03 midterm. It's not a big deal, sometimes people blank and such or have something come up and they didn't have time to do problems. But I guess if he was bragging like he said he was, I guess that explains your ""

Lol.
I don't mean to make fun of anyone who did poorly in calc, but this guy was classically flawed. He told me that if I needed help in calc, he'd offer his tutoring skills for a small fee.
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:19 PM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I don't mean to make fun of anyone who did poorly in calc, but this guy was classically flawed. He told me that if I needed help in calc, he'd offer his tutoring skills for a small fee.
Hmmm, getting tutored by a guy who got 30% on his midterm? Probably not a good idea XD
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:22 PM   #30
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Whattttttttt. :O I would never pay for a FIRST YEAR to tutor me. That's silly. xD Yea, this guy sounds... like he's got a good sense of humor. Haha.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.