MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MATH 1B03 and MATH 1C03; courses and professors Sync Academics 1 06-14-2008 10:50 AM

Math 1B03

Old 07-10-2011 at 01:50 PM   #1
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Math 1B03
I'm entering my first year of life sci but I am thinking of doing physics with the biophysics specialization in second year or minoring in physics, either way I want to take lots of physics courses in the future. I have been trying to get math 1B03 but have been unsuccessful as it is only offered first semester and the one course I could move to second semester to accomdate for it is full second semester.

I am taking physics 1B03 first semester and physics 1BA3 second semester. I know the undergraduate calendar says that math 1B03 must be completed by the end of first term in second year if you go into physics without it but I was wondering if I would be at a disadvantage for physics 1BA3 and whatever physics courses I would have in first term if I decided to do biophysics because most people taking that would have completed math 1B03 in first semester on first year.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.
Old 07-10-2011 at 02:11 PM   #2
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

You could always do Math 1B03 in the summer.
Old 07-10-2011 at 03:03 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

If they allow you to take it in term 1 of second year, then it's not absolutely necessary to have it before then. However, it still might be helpful to have it and the earlier the better. It's offered this summer, so I assume it'll be offered next year too just to make sure you're not at a disadvantage for not having it.
Old 07-11-2011 at 12:39 PM  
B.Amode

Liked: 1 Time

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 07-11-2011 at 12:55 PM   #4
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Try emailing the undergraduate math email and explain to them, and they will hopefully open a spot.
Old 07-11-2011 at 03:51 PM   #5
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

weird math 1b03 traditionally is in a 2nd sems course

math 1b03 isn't really really important till maybe 2nd year 2nd sems. (even then it is more for 3mm3 then anything)

I still say do it 1st year because I strongly strongly recommend taking math 2r03 (linear algebra II) in 2nd year. I never took it and regret it (that is why i'am taking it in 4th year I know sad.)
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:54 PM   #6
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
Try emailing the undergraduate math email and explain to them, and they will hopefully open a spot.
You misunderstood or I did not explain well enough. The class is not full but I need to move bio 1M03 to second semester so I have room in my first semester to take the math. The problem is that bio 1M03 is full second semester.