MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone taking MATH 1B03 OR ECON 1B03 right now? Aeria Academics 9 11-06-2011 05:59 PM

Math 1B03

Old 11-29-2011 at 05:08 PM   #1
schmane

Liked: 3 Times

Math 1B03
I'm trying to plan my courses for next term because I have a few third year courses (I'm in second year economics). I recently decided to minor in math, so I need to take Math 1B03. Unfortunately, it's full and there's only one core. The math department told me that "once it's full, it's full," which I found particularly helpful. /sarcasm

I was wondering if there's anybody who's in that course right now that would be switching out? I need to get in so badly because I don't want to be taking first year math next year in my third year.

Thanks a lot!

- Shane

PS, does anyone know who I can call that would open the course for me? Math department is of the least amount of help.
Old 11-29-2011 at 05:51 PM   #2
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Did you contact the mats department in general? I'd suggest contacting the profs. I don't know how helpful that would be, though. Just explain your circumstances.

I've got spots in two classes in that way, though they were bio ones (and I contacted the department...but you know! It's worth a shot.)

Good luck getting in. I took it with the same goal in mind, so I know how frustrating it is if your schedule doesn't match up.
Old 11-29-2011 at 06:56 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

In my experience, the math department is very good about opening up spots for people, but the room it's in will have a physical capacity, and they can't open up an infinite amount of spots. So when they say the course is full, that's probably what they mean, and contacting other people won't make the room bigger. Your best bet is probably to hope someone drops.
Also, taking a first-year course in third year isn't the worst thing in the world...no one really cares what year you're in.
Another alternative is taking it in the summer or online through Athabasca.
Old 11-29-2011 at 07:16 PM   #4
omgmt

Liked: 21 Times

I'm taking the course this semester and at first it was full. I contacted the profs first and they said they couldn't really do anything about it because the course was full and that I should talk to the math department. When I talked to the math department they ended up switching me in~
But I did this during the first week of the semester, so I think you should try again at that time because people may be dropping the course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Also, taking a first-year course in third year isn't the worst thing in the world...no one really cares what year you're in.
And yea totally agree with @nerual, there are a couple of third years in our class but really it's no big deal.
Old 11-29-2011 at 08:19 PM   #5
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

I've found the math department to be very accommodating and helpful. Did you email the undergrad email? If not try the professor, and check back during the first week.
Old 12-01-2011 at 10:52 AM   #6
schmane

Hey, thank you all for your responses. I was just hoping to get in as soon as possible, but I'll definitely keep checking for if someone has dropped it.

It only has one core, so I'm going to bet that the classroom is the limiting variable. Probably full. And I'm not vain. Idgaf if I'm in a class with ppl younger than me. I just have A LOT of math courses to take and I'd rather get started now instead of next year, you know?

But thanks again. I'll start emailing and stalking SOLAR. Aha!
Old 12-03-2011 at 01:21 AM   #7
sincl01

Liked: 0 Times

I'm almost 100% dropping it if you still are looking to get in!
Old 12-03-2011 at 10:03 PM   #8
schmane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincl01 View Post
I'm almost 100% dropping it if you still are looking to get in!
Ohmygosh yes, I am! When are you dropping it? Let's time it and stuff.