MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help needed fast: Math 1LS3 vs Math 1A03 luna Academics 3 09-15-2010 07:59 PM
Math 1A03 vs. 1Ls3 Liz S First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-14-2009 02:50 PM
Completed MATH 1LS3 but need to take MATH 1A03 too jachill Academics 3 04-22-2009 02:31 PM

MATH 1LS3 or 1A03?

Old 06-28-2010 at 12:25 PM   #1
x-Vash

Liked: 0 Times

MATH 1LS3 or 1A03?
So, I'm heading into McMaster's Life Sciences program this upcoming fall.
The following year, I'm considering possibly trying to switch into Health Sciences, or specializing in honours molecular biology and genetics, life sciences, or psychology, neuroscience & behaviour
Which math course do you recommend I enroll in? I don't want to overwhelm myself with a tough course load. Now, I do pretty well in math so if I were to take either one, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but is it recommended that you continue with math throughout your senior years? Will I be at a disadvantage if I only take 1LS3?
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:38 PM   #2
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Math 1A03 is apparently tougher than 1LS3, but it doesn't require any more mathematical 'intuition' - a lot of people I know who were used to high-school methods of doing math did pretty well by just doing practice problems. That said, the course was quite a bit tougher last year than the previous years.

Old 06-28-2010 at 02:21 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

If you want to continue in upper-year math courses, DEFINITELY 1A03. 1LS3 is pretty much meant for people looking for an easy math course to satisfy program requirements with no intention of doing any other upper level math courses. When I took it, I found it to be a total waste of time, since I didn't learn anything that hadn't been covered in high school.
Having said that, they generally don't recommend you continue (or don't continue) in upper-level math courses, although many people do just out of interest or to minor in it. If you have any interest in math at all, you'll probably be really bored by 1LS3, so 1A03 would be better regardless of if you plan on continuing with math.

Math 1AA3 is also required for some professional schools (such as pharmacy), and you're better off taking 1A03 instead of 1LS3 if you're gonna end up taking 1AA3.
I ended up taking 1AA3 afterwards, and it was doable, but required a LOT more work and self-teaching than it would have had I taken 1LS3.

If you're thinking of going to any professional schools, you should double-check everywhere to make sure they accept 1LS3 instead of 1A03, since some places don't (I can't remember any off the top of my head, but I remember reading people posting on here that some places don't...)
Old 06-28-2010 at 05:48 PM   #4
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

It all depends. Are you a science student who wants to take lots of math? Or are you a science student like me who isn't into math as much and merely HAS to take a math? 1LS3 really doesn't give you any options if you want to take Computer Science or Stats or stuff like that, but 1A03 and especially 1AA3 gives you lots of options if you're interested in that.

My friend took 1A03, and she said she hated it, but she didn't do any of the work, it was at 8:30AM, and she likes to complain....

I heard it's only 1 more unit than 1LS3 and just a little more intense towards the end... But that's just what I heard, so it may not even be that bad... Up to you though.
Old 06-28-2010 at 07:04 PM   #5
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

If you're not going to major in math, then go with 1LS3.
The credit in 1LS3 is equivalent to the credit in 1A03 (and the same goes for 1LT3/1AA3).
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-28-2010 at 07:27 PM   #6
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

1ls3 is more or less equivalent to 1a03 (in terms of credit not course work)... you ma continue on to 1aa3 after ls3
Old 06-28-2010 at 08:25 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

You can only take 1AA3 after 1LS3 if you get at least a B-...but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea, just that you CAN. Taking 1AA3 after 1LS3 is doable, but not fun...I got a 12 in both courses, but 1AA3 required 20x more work than 1LS3.
Old 06-28-2010 at 08:32 PM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

im pretty sure dr lovric said they lifted the grade restriction (although it is possible i am remembering wrong)
Old 06-28-2010 at 08:34 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
im pretty sure dr lovric said they lifted the grade restriction (although it is possible i am remembering wrong)
They haven't taken off the restriction in the undergraduate calender for the upcoming year though.
Old 06-28-2010 at 09:05 PM   #10
fall3n

Liked: 1 Time

Is it written anywhere that 1AA3 and 1LT3 are equivalent? I may specialize in the Origins Research, but on the site it says I would need to finish 1AA3 by second year. (Which is why I applied for 1A03 and 1AA3.

I'm not a student who likes Math a lot, so switching would make my life a lot easier.
Old 06-28-2010 at 09:56 PM   #11
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
You can only take 1AA3 after 1LS3 if you get at least a B-...but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea, just that you CAN. Taking 1AA3 after 1LS3 is doable, but not fun...I got a 12 in both courses, but 1AA3 required 20x more work than 1LS3.
Really? I didn't even open the textbook for 1AA3, can't imagine how little work 1LS3 would have been then, haha

Old 06-28-2010 at 10:00 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Really? I didn't even open the textbook for 1AA3, can't imagine how little work 1LS3 would have been then, haha
I fell asleep during one of the 1LS3 tests and still got 95% on it...it barely even required a conscious brain

For 1AA3, I had to open the textbook, because we were assigned a bajillion questions that we had to hand in every other week. I also had to self-teach myself parts of the course, whereas all of 1LS3 was review from high school. I wonder how much work 1AA3 would have been if I'd taken 1A03? It felt like I skipped part 1 of calc and jumped right into part 2
Old 06-28-2010 at 10:39 PM   #13
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
For 1AA3, I had to open the textbook, because we were assigned a bajillion questions that we had to hand in every other week. I also had to self-teach myself parts of the course, whereas all of 1LS3 was review from high school. I wonder how much work 1AA3 would have been if I'd taken 1A03? It felt like I skipped part 1 of calc and jumped right into part 2
Haha, all in all, I think 1A03/1AA3 were both useful for science (although I'm going into mathematics myself, I'm still strongly interested in the natural / biological sciences too) and are a good 'one-stop-shop' for all the math that science students (with the exception of physics, quantum chemistry, and theoretical bio students) would really need...

By the way, I went to Holy Trinity as well

Old 06-28-2010 at 11:32 PM   #14
DarkHalo

Liked: 3 Times

I got an email saying that 1LT3 is confirmed as equivalent and can be used as credit towards professional school... so if you want exactly 1 year of calc you can still go with 1LS3/1LT3 and not be screwed over?
Old 06-29-2010 at 12:21 AM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHalo View Post
I got an email saying that 1LT3 is confirmed as equivalent and can be used as credit towards professional school... so if you want exactly 1 year of calc you can still go with 1LS3/1LT3 and not be screwed over?
Did you also ask about 1LS3? I think you should just to be safe. Also, for anyone reading this thread, it's important to note that not all professional schools have the same prerequisites. That means that you would really have to get a course approved at each professional school you will be applying towards.