MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help deciding math 1a03 or math 1ls3 omgwtfitsp Academics 1 09-11-2011 01:55 PM
Help needed fast: Math 1LS3 vs Math 1A03 luna Academics 3 09-15-2010 07:59 PM
Completed MATH 1LS3 but need to take MATH 1A03 too jachill Academics 3 04-22-2009 02:31 PM

Math 1LS3

Old 09-12-2011 at 02:33 PM   #1
Hongmon

Liked: 0 Times

Math 1LS3
Hello, Im a first year student and im just wondering if its a necessity to have a textbook in math 1Ls3
Old 09-12-2011 at 02:56 PM   #2
muff

If you have taken Calculus in high school and did fairly then you def don't need a textbook for this course. The course is super easy and the prof gives you enough practise materials for the midterms/exam. The first midterm is basically on Advanced functions that you shouldve taken in high school.
Old 09-12-2011 at 03:04 PM   #3
vad5

I hardly used my 1LS3 textbook at all, and never even opened the answer book.
Old 09-12-2011
psps
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-12-2011 at 04:25 PM   #4
Hongmon

Do you think i need the course pack then? For the assignments?
Old 09-12-2011 at 04:48 PM   #5
VoyozooT

Liked: 3 Times

Definitely get the coursepack, you probably will never open the txtbook so I recommend don't get it
Old 09-12-2011 at 08:29 PM   #6
luc18

textbook isn't necessary, it was too wordy and not useful at all.
but you should definitely buy the courseware because midterm/exam questions come out from there. if you did enough practice questions from there you should be perfectly fine without a textbook.
Old 09-12-2011 at 09:05 PM   #7
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Apparently Lovric wrote a whole new textbook for LS3 that is more useful and relevant to the concepts discussed in lecture. Maybe you should look into that before you decide not to get the textbook?
Old 09-12-2011 at 09:11 PM   #8
dumbconsumer

Liked: 80 Times

Coursepack: very necessary
textbook: not that necessary, except some questions in the coursepack are like "do question xx on page xxx of the textbook", there aren't that many of these though.
Semester I took the course: Fall 2010.

I'm alright at Math though, so if you need help in Math, you might find the textbook to be more necessary than I did.
Old 09-12-2011 at 09:17 PM   #9
luna

Liked: 10 Times

profs assign questions from the textbook to prep for tests and exam. So in terms of reading before lecture and stuff the textbook is not necessary but if you want extra practice than it is. I would recommend buying the book because my prof gave us practice questions to do from the textbook which appeared on the evaluations as well (something similar and exact). you can buy a last year textbook if your concenred about price. the new one and old one shouldn't be that different. the purpose is to practice textbook questions which are normally more challenging. I know that some student last year used textbooks from previous years and still passed courses.