MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help needed fast: Math 1LS3 vs Math 1A03 luna Academics 3 09-15-2010 07:59 PM
Math 1A03 or Math 1LS3? Linh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 04-25-2010 06:03 PM
math 1A03 or math 1LS3 shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-04-2009 09:26 PM
Completed MATH 1LS3 but need to take MATH 1A03 too jachill Academics 3 04-22-2009 02:31 PM

Math 1ls3 Or Math 1a03

Old 07-15-2009 at 11:12 PM   #31
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
You guys are in luck...Lozinski is one of my top 5 picks for best math profs in the department. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him.

I don't know Grasselli's teaching ability, but I know him a bit socially, and he seems like a good guy.

Martinez-Pedroza is my absolute favourite prof. He speaks spanish and has a bit of an accent (though his english is fine otherwise), but I've never met another professor who put more care into into his lesson plans, save maybe Lovric (who is my 2nd favourite, though not by much). Don't be concerned because he's only a post-doctoral fellow!

I took the 4th year differential geometry course "Calculus on Manifolds" (6B03) with him last year...I highly recommend trying to get him if an accent won't bother you. He'll make sure you do well (I got a 12 in what would otherwise have been, a nightmare of a course)!
hey these are the profs for math 1aa3:

Lozinski (described)
Marikova
Cuardros Valle

How are the last two profs? Thanks
Old 07-15-2009 at 11:18 PM   #32
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/

Old 07-15-2009 at 11:25 PM   #33
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Haha that doesn't work with first time professors. It's funny though, because some grad students are up on that site...I know of two guys who are good friends, but have this rivalry going on. They keep posting slanderous entries on each others' ratemyprofs pages xD Things like "All he does is talk about his bad social life. We as students, don't care about how bad your dating life is."

Unfortunately, the last two profs are first time post-doctoral fellows, meaning they just got their PhD's and are being given a 'trial' position at Mac. This means that nobody could really tell you unfortunately ):

Post-Docs can be great (I had two good experiences with post-docs, one of whom I mentioned in my previous post), or terrible (I've had a really horrible experience with a post-doc...he's actually been fired since then 0: )

Only time will tell I'm afraid...but if you're not happy with your professors, just do all your can to attend Lozinski's lectures. He's definitely a good choice.

sinthusized says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 07-15-2009 at 11:29 PM   #34
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Oh I see. I didn't know they were first time profs.

Old 07-16-2009 at 08:48 AM   #35
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
I've concluded that a lot of the ratings are by idiots or slackers who didn't work. A lot of the profs have gotten bad reviews about how tough their courses are and how they're poor professors because they have an accent. Ullal and Nurse were amazing profs and their courses were quite easy, but that's completely opposite to the reviews on the sites. I'd take everything with a grain of salt.
Old 07-16-2009 at 09:16 AM   #36
crys.eg

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:

Soooooo does that hot pepper mean they are hot,
as in looks...
orrr hot as in like, a hot topic ;
aka, talked about alot.. ect.
Old 07-16-2009 at 12:36 PM   #37
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
I've concluded that a lot of the ratings are by idiots or slackers who didn't work. A lot of the profs have gotten bad reviews about how tough their courses are and how they're poor professors because they have an accent. Ullal and Nurse were amazing profs and their courses were quite easy, but that's completely opposite to the reviews on the sites. I'd take everything with a grain of salt.
agreeedd.. some are really inaccurate.. but I guess because of the lack of any other resource, people just resort to it.