Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help needed fast: Math 1LS3 vs Math 1A03 luna Academics 3 09-15-2010 07:59 PM

Math 1LS3 in the Summer

Old 12-18-2016 at 10:08 AM   #1
purplepapaya

Liked: 0 Times

Math 1LS3 in the Summer
I took MATH 1LS3 this past term, and it didn't go so well. Looks like I'm going to have to take it again in the summer.

For people who took this course in a summer term, how was it? I know it'll have to move relatively quickly because of time constraints, so I'm just wondering how manageable people found it. I'm thinking that having already gone through everything once will help me out the second time around.

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2016 at 11:51 AM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

generally courses that involve math are a lot more intensive in the summer, because you need to cram everything in 1 month instead of 3 and half.
Old 12-18-2016 at 01:52 PM   #3
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

I actually did MATH 1LS3 over the summer in my first year. I dropped it at the start of the year since I couldn't understand the prof and, coming out of high school, I just wasn't sure on the best way to study for university-level math courses yet. However, I took it in the summer at York University as I was living at home over the summer and it was the closest school to me. (You can ask for a letter of permission to take courses at different universities over the summer).

What GeorgeLucas says is true. The course moved VERY fast in 3hr lectures 3x/week, we were covering a unit per day. Along with a 'midterm' every week, there was no room to fall behind. Albeit, I didn't do as well as I wanted in the course, but since I was taking it at York it didn't affect my Mac GPA as it just appears as 'completed' on my transcript.

So i guess my advice is, if you need to take it over the summer, realize what you're getting into and stay on top of the work/studying. It's only a month long so you still have 3 more months of summer. If you're worried that you grade in 1LS3 over the summer will hurt your GPA, look into taking it at another university.
Old 12-19-2016 at 01:36 AM   #4
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

I remember your other post about Medphys 1E. Maybe if you don't take that next term you can repeat 1LS3 so that you don't have to do math in summer school.

Or maybe if you already have another elective that's not necessary, drop that and replace it with math so then you can repeat math and still take medphys.
Old 12-20-2016 at 01:01 PM   #5
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

I took Math 1M03 in the summer and it was fine. The fast pace is actually better, because with not taking any other courses it means you can remember all the material a lot better for the exam. You're going to have to do twice as much math homework a week, but at least you're not taking 4 other classes.
Old 12-22-2016 at 09:28 PM   #6
purplepapaya

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you all for answering all my questions about this. I ended up passing, but may still retake it to improve the mark a bit. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-23-2016 at 08:18 AM   #7
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

If you passed it, but you're thinking of retaking it in the summer, I'd suggest taking MATH 1AA3 in the summer instead. Some of what you do in 1LS3 is actually repeated in that class. And it's the next math class in line (well, 1LT3 is, but 1AA3 will set you up better for higher level math), and it's taught well (McLean is fun), and it's not really hard at all, and a B or C in 1AA3 is a lot better than an A in 1LS3, and it'd still give you a reason to review the stuff you did in 1LS3.
Old 12-23-2016 at 02:24 PM   #8
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
I ended up passing, but may still retake it to improve the mark a bit.
Quote:
I'd suggest taking MATH 1AA3 in the summer instead.
Ya, I agree with old_guy. I wouldn't recommend taking the exact same course again just to get a better mark (in fact, I don't even think you would be allowed...). Just move forward and take the next math course or something completely different that's easy/you're interested in to bring up your average (if that's your goal).