Old 06-20-2010 at 07:17 PM   #1
Vaidawg

Liked: 15 Times

Math 1LT3 Timings!!?
How is it possible that the only possible times for Math 1LT3 are:

Core: Mo We 08:30 - 09:20, Fr 10:30 - 11:20
Tutorial: Mo 10:30 - 11:20
Website: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/... =1LT3&t=2&d=D

Shouldn't there be a greater availability? Also, the website does not name an instructor?

Old 06-20-2010 at 07:23 PM   #2
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I'm guessing they will add more if there is greater demand for that course.

I don't really see a point that course anyways... most first year non-mathy science programs need only 1 math 1st year so you'd pick 1A03 or 1LS3. If you're in math intense program then you'd pick 1A03 (or risk 1LS3 with high mark) then move on to 1AA3.
Old 06-20-2010 at 07:26 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaidawg View Post
How is it possible that the only possible times for Math 1LT3 are:

Core: Mo We 08:30 - 09:20, Fr 10:30 - 11:20
Tutorial: Mo 10:30 - 11:20
Website: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/... =1LT3&t=2&d=D

Shouldn't there be a greater availability? Also, the website does not name an instructor?

It's because 1LS3 is needed to take 1LT3, so that means, 1LT3 can only be offered second semester. Also, it's a new course, and most science students require ONLY Math 1LS3, so anyone taking 1LT3 would be in it as an elective. So, they're not really obliged to offer more times since it's not a compulsory course that hundreds of students will be taking like it is with 1LS3. Hope that helps !
Also, you don't have to take it this year, you could definitely take it another year or in summer school if it's offered.
As for an instructor, like I said it's a new course, so they're probably in the process of finding a prof for it now. So, it should be announced anytime (hopefully before school actually starts) on the Master Time Table.
Old 06-20-2010 at 07:49 PM   #4
Vaidawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
It's because 1LS3 is needed to take 1LT3, so that means, 1LT3 can only be offered second semester. Also, it's a new course, and most science students require ONLY Math 1LS3, so anyone taking 1LT3 would be in it as an elective. So, they're not really obliged to offer more times since it's not a compulsory course that hundreds of students will be taking like it is with 1LS3. Hope that helps !
Also, you don't have to take it this year, you could definitely take it another year or in summer school if it's offered.
As for an instructor, like I said it's a new course, so they're probably in the process of finding a prof for it now. So, it should be announced anytime (hopefully before school actually starts) on the Master Time Table.
A lot of pharmacy schools like UofT and Waterloo require 2 semesters of calculus. That's why I want to take both 1LS3 and 1LT3.
Do you think they will actually add more times later on? That would be hard because then I'd have to change around my mock schedule so much and it could lead to further conflicts :(
It's probably better if I call them right?
Old 06-20-2010 at 07:54 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

You'll also want to check to make sure they accept 1LS3 and 1LT3 to fulfill that requirement. On UofT's website, right now they just have 1LS3 (with at least a B-) +1AA3, or 1A03+1AA3. For Waterloo, you'd have to email them to find out if it's acceptable--they say that even courses that appear to match the description of their course might not work, and you should email them to be sure.
Old 06-20-2010 at 07:59 PM   #6
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
You'll also want to check to make sure they accept 1LS3 and 1LT3 to fulfill that requirement. On UofT's website, right now they just have 1LS3 (with at least a B-) +1AA3, or 1A03+1AA3. For Waterloo, you'd have to email them to find out if it's acceptable--they say that even courses that appear to match the description of their course might not work, and you should email them to be sure.
The other thing is to contact Mac and ask them to tell the schools about Math 1LT3. Otherwise the other schools probably have not clue about it.
Old 06-20-2010 at 08:38 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
A lot of pharmacy schools like UofT and Waterloo require 2 semesters of calculus. That's why I want to take both 1LS3 and 1LT3.
Do you think they will actually add more times later on? That would be hard because then I'd have to change around my mock schedule so much and it could lead to further conflicts :(
It's probably better if I call them right?
Like Lauren said, I would suggest you definitely call U of T and Waterloo to see if they accept 1LT3. Since it's a new course they'll probably have to look into it to see if it qualifies as an equivalent. For now, I don't think any timings will be added this year just to see how demand is for the course. But maybe next year if demand is high they'll add in more cores & tutorials. If you need it though, and want to get all the pre-reqs done this year (UT pharmacy now requires 2 yrs undergrad, so you could take it next year), I would suggest talking to an academic advisor at Mac as well as double checking with UT and Waterloo about course equivalents. Btw, I recommend calling, not email so you can get your answer right away and organize your schedule before course selection starts.
Old 06-20-2010 at 09:35 PM   #8
Vaidawg

Wow thanks a lot for the help. I think I'll contact (CALL!) the UofT/Waterloo people tomorrow to make sure.

This forum is awesome.
Old 06-20-2010 at 09:38 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

No problem! Just make sure when you call, that you have the course calendar description of 1LT3 handy, so you can refer to it as needed. I doubt they have anything more detailed than that, since it's a new course The math website didn't have anything beyond what's on the course calendar: http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/courses/...ou rse_id=348
Old 06-20-2010 at 10:59 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Wow thanks a lot for the help. I think I'll contact (CALL!) the UofT/Waterloo people tomorrow to make sure.

This forum is awesome.
You're welcome! And hope it works out! I STRONGLY recommend what Lauren said about giving them the course description when you CALL (), since there isn't a course outline yet it'll be hard for them to get an overview of what the course is really about.
Old 06-21-2010 at 09:45 AM   #11
Vaidawg

I emailed them and got the following reply that any of the other 1st year people may be interested in:

Sorry, the timetable is set for 2010/11 courses so there will not be any changes made to Mathematics 1LT3 offerings. Also, the Associate Dean's office is making sure that professional schools will be notified and that Mathematics 1LT3 will be acceptable. I hope this helps.

Thank you,
UTeam/pm.
Old 07-02-2010 at 09:42 AM   #12
ruby101

Liked: 5 Times

can anyone tell me , Math 1AA3 and Math 1LT3, which one is harder ?
Old 07-02-2010 at 10:16 AM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Since math 1LT3 is new, no one has actually taken it before and can tell you for sure. However, if it's like 1LS3/1A03, then 1AA3 will be 'harder' with a more theoretical focus and 1LT3 will cover less material but spend more time focusing on applications. It's similar to having applied and academic math in gr9/10.

ruby101 says thanks to nerual for this post.