MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math 2Z03 kanishka 2nd Year Course Reviews 15 08-07-2013 10:21 AM
Math 2Z03 Tutorials mse369 Academics 1 09-12-2010 10:44 AM
Eng Math 2z03 Tutorial Rstevenson Academics 4 08-22-2010 03:27 PM
Math 2Z03 Prof. mse369 Academics 7 08-18-2010 01:01 AM
Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 lmasud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-08-2010 04:19 PM

Math 2Z03

Old 03-29-2011 at 11:08 PM   #1
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Math 2Z03
I'm taking summer school for Econ 1B03, and figure that maybe I should also take a math class, since I would have a lot of time to devote to it.

Then I searched Macinsiders and saw that apparently this course is brutal. So some questions:

-Take it during the summer - good or bad idea?
-If I take it during the summer will I be screwed for 2ZZ3 because I won't remember anything?
-Does Dr. Childs teach the course (Please say yes)

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2011 at 11:24 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
I'm taking summer school for Econ 1B03, and figure that maybe I should also take a math class, since I would have a lot of time to devote to it.

Then I searched Macinsiders and saw that apparently this course is brutal. So some questions:

-If I take it during the summer will I be screwed for 2ZZ3 because I won't remember anything?

Thanks.
Can't answer the first two, as for the last one the MTT doesn't say who is teaching the course. Therefore you can't know for certain, even if a certain prof usually teaches the course there's still a chance that another prof will be teaching it especially during summer. I would suggest you call the math department, they should know who's they've assigned to teach the course.
Old 03-29-2011 at 11:26 PM   #3
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:

Thanks.
2. I would highly recommend taking 2ZZ3 in the summer if you're taking 2Z03, but I suppose you can get by if you put a little effort into reviewing concepts. Math is seems to be one of those things that comes back to you pretty easily, but that also depends on how much effort you put into actually learning the stuff in 2Z03.

1. It depends on a few things. Do you also plan on taking 2ZZ3? And do you plan on going into Materials or Mechanical engineering? Those disciplines have to take a third-year Math course, so if you do end up taking both, you'll be going a full year without math. Math 3I03 is definitely not something you want to start at a disadvantage, so you should keep that in mind. The prof, Bernardo Galvao-Sousa, is one of my favourite rapists Mac hires to teach math though. He has a positive vibe around him all the time and he's always smiling, so even when he's walking around watching the class fail the exam, so you just can't help but smile too.

3. No, Childs only teaches first-year math and some upper-year Stats courses. =\

As for 2Z03 itself, it's not too bad. I'm really, really bad at Math (or more specifically, putting the effort into doing my homework), and I ended up with a mark that was better than what I got in 1ZZ5 (the equivalent of 1ZB3 and 1ZC3), so that should be the least of your worries.
Old 03-29-2011 at 11:53 PM   #4
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:

Thanks.
I would take 2z03/2zz3 in the summer if at all possible. They are a huge time sink, but useful. Know them inside out. As to what Entropy said, our year had it nice in that we had matlab worth a ridiculous amount, boosting our marks. I would take 1b03 in the school year, since it should be a complete joke, and take up very little time while boosting your average.

RyanC likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 12:53 AM   #5
MiniDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
I would take 2z03/2zz3 in the summer if at all possible. They are a huge time sink, but useful. Know them inside out. As to what Entropy said, our year had it nice in that we had matlab worth a ridiculous amount, boosting our marks. I would take 1b03 in the school year, since it should be a complete joke, and take up very little time while boosting your average.
Need 1B03 for Management, so I need to take it in the summer. And I only want to do summer school for half the summer, so I can only take one math.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-30-2011 at 10:37 AM   #6
jerene

Liked: 1 Time

i took 2z03 last summer. Best decision ever. Only issue is last semester there were no matlab assignments (aka easy marks) and it was all handwritten so no multiple choice. There were weekly quizzes to keep you on track cause otherwise you just end up cramming for the exam. In 2zz3 right now and although i dont remember much from 2z03, most of it is new so doesnt rely on 2z03 knowledge
Old 03-30-2011 at 12:22 PM   #7
LukeEngineer

Liked: 5 Times

So is 2z03 multiple choice now ? do u do as many matlabs as in the regular semester or is it half ?
Old 03-30-2011 at 01:45 PM   #8
jerene

Liked: 1 Time

its multiple choice during the year but i know last summer wasn't...not sure about this summer but guessing it'll be similar. Also matlab was tested on weekly quizzes so you actually had to write the code out instead of having assignments
Old 03-30-2011 at 01:58 PM   #9
MiniDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerene View Post
its multiple choice during the year but i know last summer wasn't...not sure about this summer but guessing it'll be similar. Also matlab was tested on weekly quizzes so you actually had to write the code out instead of having assignments
...Not sure how I feel about that =/