MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math 2Z03 Tutorials mse369 Academics 1 09-12-2010 10:44 AM
Eng Math 2z03 Tutorial Rstevenson Academics 4 08-22-2010 03:27 PM
Math 2Z03 Prof. mse369 Academics 7 08-18-2010 01:01 AM
Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 lmasud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-08-2010 04:19 PM

Math 2Z03 MATLAB

Old 10-12-2010 at 11:44 AM   #1
nerdlife

Liked: 0 Times

Math 2Z03 MATLAB
I need some help from upper year Engineers or anyone that has the knowledge of math 2Z03 and plagiarism. So I have been doing my matlab assignments and all my friends just take it from me and copy it. I can't deny them the matlab since they are my close friends. But one of them told me that a couple of years back some other prof, who isn't teaching anymore, caught students for plagiarism in matlab and gave them an F in the course. Is this true? If it is, then should I stop giving my friends my assignments or is there a way I can give it to them and they don't have to get caught?
Old 10-12-2010 at 11:45 AM   #2
nerdlife

Also I remember that in 1st year engineering math I used to give out my maple assignments, nothing happened then!
Old 10-12-2010 at 11:50 AM   #3
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Yup, last year people got caught for cheating on Matlab. Do it at your own risk.. i know someone who did it themselves but gave it to their friends, and they ended up getting caught for cheating lol.
Old 10-12-2010 at 11:51 AM   #4
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

This question is actually beyond handicapped. That's cheating, through and through. If your friends are dumb enough to take it and forget to change a name, student number, etc. you both will get raped. Simple.

And really, you "can't" deny them? Get a spine.

Old 10-12-2010 at 12:07 PM   #5
nerdlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
This question is actually beyond handicapped. That's cheating, through and through. If your friends are dumb enough to take it and forget to change a name, student number, etc. you both will get raped. Simple.

And really, you "can't" deny them? Get a spine.
I heard that even upon changing the name, student number, etc people were caught. And now that you guys say that if they get caught, i get caught, i guess I really got to grow a spine.
Old 10-12-2010 at 12:12 PM   #6
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

i have heard that as well. Dr. Protas put in a lot of effort to catch people who were involved in plagiarism. and why not? it isn't fair to the people who are putting their time and effort in doing the assignments. you really have to learn to deny your assignments to your friends
Old 10-12-2010 at 12:12 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Ya, they check everything with a computer first, which looks for similar/identical blocks of code, and then they check anything flagged by hand. So you're kinda screwed at this point unfortunately.

On a first offence, they give you zero on your matlab, and all the matlabs that occurred before it (since they assume you cheated on those too). On a second offence, I believe you get an academic dishonesty flag on your transcript, and you can get expelled from the university.

Tell your dipshit friends to do it themselves. Nobody is going to do their work in the real world.

AnguishedEnd, jon.john23, macsci all say thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

Old 10-12-2010 at 12:17 PM   #8
kanishka
winning

if anything, troubleshoot their matlab code if you are good at it. don't just let your friends copy/paste ur entire code!
Old 10-12-2010 at 12:24 PM   #9
nerdlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
So you're kinda screwed at this point unfortunately.
Alright so we have submitted only one matlab assignment. Would I still be safe if I didn't give out anymore of my assignments?

Also I just spoke to my friends whom I gave the matlab to, they say that they didn't just copy/paste my code, in fact, typed my code themselves along with changing the variables.
Old 10-12-2010 at 01:29 PM   #10
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlife View Post
Alright so we have submitted only one matlab assignment. Would I still be safe if I didn't give out anymore of my assignments?

Also I just spoke to my friends whom I gave the matlab to, they say that they didn't just copy/paste my code, in fact, typed my code themselves along with changing the variables.
I may or may not have done all my matlabs *cough*.
But one thing that is for sure, you will ALWAYS have idiots who take your file, change your name, make your x1 to xnot and leave the rest the same because they are lazy. not worth it. Even if they are good friends, sometimes, when you yourself get the matlab done at 1130, and your friends get it at 1140, its nerve racking figuring out if this is the one time you will fail because some guy you gave your assignment to might send it to "only one of his friends" Don't do it, or make a similar copy to your own (that you are not sending in) to share with friends.
Old 10-12-2010 at 02:45 PM   #11
kanishka
winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlife View Post
only if you are lucky such that they dont check the 1st assignment for plagiarism or if what your friends are saying is actually true...
Old 10-12-2010 at 02:47 PM   #12
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

As Nike would say, "Just Do It."
Old 10-12-2010 at 03:14 PM   #13
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
As Nike would say, "Just Do It."
LOL, are you encouraging academic dishonesty?
Old 10-12-2010 at 09:53 PM   #14
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

This was a HUGE problem last year in both Math 2Z03/2ZZ3 and there were many reminders during class about academic dishonesty. Why would you give away your MATLAB assignments to anyone especially if you worked your ass off? You are not helping ANYONE in the end game. Common sense. Really pissed me off last year though since a large majority of people just copied other files but then again I gained some good experience doing all of em myself!
Old 10-12-2010 at 10:07 PM   #15
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
I may or may not have done all my matlabs *cough*.
But one thing that is for sure, you will ALWAYS have idiots who take your file, change your name, make your x1 to xnot and leave the rest the same because they are lazy. not worth it. Even if they are good friends, sometimes, when you yourself get the matlab done at 1130, and your friends get it at 1140, its nerve racking figuring out if this is the one time you will fail because some guy you gave your assignment to might send it to "only one of his friends" Don't do it, or make a similar copy to your own (that you are not sending in) to share with friends.
HRMM I WONDER WHO WAS YOUR SOURCE.

I think there was like, a few people in our year that actually did the Matlabs (Ownaginatios and myself being one of the few that I know of on this board). If I had to throw a ballpark guess, I'd say probably 5-10% at most.

We actually set up an engineering forum for 2nd year, and I can't tell you how many times I saw people browsing the forum 1 hour before due date, waiting for someone to post some delicious answers in their code. It got ridiculous at times too; like 100 members browsing at any time if I had to throw a vague ball park number