MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 Ish001 Academics 43 08-29-2011 10:18 PM
Math 2ZZ3 insane?????????????? nikJ Academics 11 03-16-2011 01:05 PM
Confusion about Math 2ZZ3 harshey13 Academics 5 06-12-2010 09:51 PM
Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 lmasud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-08-2010 04:19 PM

Math 2ZZ3 Petition!

Old 04-12-2011 at 08:31 PM   #31
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Nah B. Two things though: It's after 2 tests that we decided that we weren't being taught the material we were being tested on.

True story: A student went to the eng department and cried foul about the method of testing that has been carried out by the math department (09----- students haven't had a single written answer question yet... maybe it's the same way for 08------ ) and the Eng department was thoroughly displeased. Which is why our exam now has 3 written answer on it... Worth more tha nthe multiple choice all together. To me, this seems to support the point of our opposition: Engineering math needs to be more closely reviewed because it isn't being taught or evaluated in a manner consistent with engineering requirements.
Old 04-12-2011 at 11:56 PM   #32
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

How you and the rest of the second year engineering students feel right now about this whole math situation:

How much you and the rest of the second years will feel about it as soon as your exam for the course is over:

Just accept that the program is just the way it is, and be pleased that you never have to deal with the course again.

camais likes this.
Old 04-12-2011 at 11:57 PM   #33
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Nvm. D:
Old 04-13-2011 at 01:30 AM   #34
toosh

Liked: 15 Times

I agree with you guys mehn! that math sucked! I just hope they make it easier for our kids
Old 04-13-2011 at 07:55 AM   #35
Kalei-Eyes

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
[b][size=3]

Just accept that the program is just the way it is, and be pleased that you never have to deal with the course again.
What's wrong with wanting to change something for the next round of students to take this course?

Theres something wrong with the course, and I don't think that future students should have to go through the same ordeal year after year. We want to help future students, not just screw them over. I'm not saying lets get rid of the course or anything like that, but we should get some consistency from year to year.

If theres something wrong with that, then I should re-think some aspects of my life....
Old 04-13-2011 at 09:32 AM   #36
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

More specifically, what's wrong with changing something you pay for? If you pay tuition, you'll realize that the course in question costs upwards of $600... Why would I give someone $600 to give me something that I did not want. I pay $600 to get a math education appropriate to an engineering standard, according to the Canadian Engineering Accrediatation Board, then I want to RECIEVE a math education appropriate to engineering according to the CEAB. If said education is organized, and really difficult anyways, so be it: A certain number of people will drop out/fail out. If it's passable, it's beause people were capable of acheiving CEaB standards of engineering mathematics.

And as a clarification, after the test, I think the majority of us will be more like:

Like kittens...
Old 04-13-2011 at 09:49 AM   #37
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

I've been drunk ever since I finished 2ZZ3

mike_302 likes this.
Old 04-13-2011 at 01:47 PM   #38
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalei-Eyes View Post
What's wrong with wanting to change something for the next round of students to take this course?

Theres something wrong with the course, and I don't think that future students should have to go through the same ordeal year after year. We want to help future students, not just screw them over. I'm not saying lets get rid of the course or anything like that, but we should get some consistency from year to year.

If theres something wrong with that, then I should re-think some aspects of my life....
Because they're not me.
Old 05-20-2011 at 08:03 AM   #39
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

I dont know about the previous years for this course, but I have to agree with the majority of the people on this link that the practice material and previous tests were in no way a proper preparation for the tests. Yes many people did not study a sufficient amount of time for this test, but that is not the case for all.
A group of my friends and I studied a considerable amount of time, upwards of 24 hours for this test, and had learned all the practice materials front and back. And yet when writing the test, we all were forced to guess on roughly 60% of the questions. So i must disagree with those of you who claim that this course was in any way fair. An evaluation of the Math department must be made, as an inconsistency from year to year such as this is detrimental to a students average, and I can safely say that I have come out of this course feeling as though I have neither learned or retained any knowledge.