MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
heavy second sem? nadia1 Academics 4 08-26-2010 06:24 PM
need to replace math 1b03 or french 1z06,,with kinesiology 1y03 raja First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-04-2009 07:30 PM
Second Year - Heavy Load? Afrisa Academics 27 06-15-2009 02:09 PM
kinesiology shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-26-2008 05:14 PM

How math heavy is kinesiology?

Old 12-19-2010 at 07:02 PM   #1
hassan09

Liked: 0 Times

How math heavy is kinesiology?
Hey guys, I'm considering applying for kinesiology but I was wondering.... how math incorporated are the courses? I know most science courses require math skills, but apparently calculus is heavily recommended for this program, which is giving me the impression that it is going to be very math heavy.

Basically, will I be screwed if I don't take calculus in high school?
Old 12-19-2010 at 07:18 PM   #2
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

Well, there's a mandatory calculus class you have to take (Math 1LS3 or Math 1A03), and in order to take that class, you have to have completed Grade 12 calc. But, if you don't take calc in highschool, you can just take Math 1F03, and then Math 1LS3 or 1A03.

Oh, and you take a stats/research design course in first year kin, but it's more about understanding the formulas conceptually (i.e. when to use what equation) and plugging the right numbers in... so math skills aren't really required, it's pretty basic.

I can't comment on the upper year course though, but I imagine that biomechanics and some of the exercise physiology courses require some math... but I don't know how complicated the math is.

Last edited by Jellybeanz : 12-19-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-19-2010 at 07:55 PM   #3
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

I can't comment on how math heavy the program is but...

As stated above, you will be required to take a 1st year calculus, and so if kin is what you want to do, and if you know you'll do half decent in calc in high school then take it in high school, why bother paying $500 for a university equivalent when you could have taken it for free in high school? but if it will harm your chances of acceptance then that might be another story..
Old 12-19-2010 at 08:26 PM   #4
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

I'm in 3rd year kin, and I'm actually doing a math minor, and it's helpful to have some basic math skill, but definitely not necessary.
As for math courses, a friend of mine in kin did not take grade 12 calculus, and was not required to take it for the program. They have phased this out now, so you will be required to take Math 1LS3 or 1A03.

The majority of the courses themselves do not require a lot of math. In first and second year, the two kin courses that include some math are research methods, and biomechanics. Some of the other courses use slight math knowledge, but that is more conceptual than anything else (for example, interpreting graphs).
It is definitely possible to be a kin student and not be great at math

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Old 12-19-2010 at 09:33 PM   #5
Jellybeanz

Liked: 23 Times

I'd also recommend taking calculus in high school as well because you have more time to focus on it and the material is spread over 5 months instead of 3.
Old 12-19-2010 at 09:58 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

If you're thinking of going into the sciences, kin is definitely less 'mathy' than bio, and much less 'mathy' compared to chem or physics.
Old 12-19-2010 at 09:59 PM   #7
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
If you're thinking of going into the sciences, kin is definitely less 'mathy' than bio, and much less 'mathy' compared to chem or physics.
you forgot engineering
Old 12-19-2010 at 10:00 PM   #8
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
you forgot engineering
Yes, I clumped engineering as separate because it's not administered by faculty of science. I presume the OP already knows that engineering is math heavy.
Old 12-19-2010 at 10:01 PM   #9
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
you forgot engineering
well engineering isnt science per say but the engineers gotta do math!!
Old 12-20-2010 at 12:38 AM   #10
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
well engineering isnt science per say but the engineers gotta do math!!
LOL engineering isn't science ? how could you say that. Engineering is an applied science. In mechanical engineering we do math, physics, materials, design etc. I think you got the definition of a science wrong.

Last edited by jajas : 12-20-2010 at 12:41 AM.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 12-20-2010 at 02:33 AM   #11
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
LOL engineering isn't science ? how could you say that. Engineering is an applied science. In mechanical engineering we do math, physics, materials, design etc. I think you got the definition of a science wrong.
Eh, maybe they just mean engineering is not IN the faculty of science.

justinsftw says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.
Old 12-20-2010 at 08:20 AM   #12
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/tec...s-not-science/

Mahratta likes this.