Music 1AA3 shleyaa 1st Year Course Reviews 40 06-04-2014 09:21 PM
MUSIC 1AA3 help!! Jessica_Yu Academics 0 01-20-2010 12:15 PM
Music 1AA3 syan9184 Academics 5 01-11-2010 02:59 PM

math1b03 vs music 1aa3

Old 08-02-2010 at 08:22 AM   #1
strawbrryjam

Liked: 0 Times

math1b03 vs music 1aa3
currently i have three math this year, and i'm wondering if it is too much math.
so, if i were to compare these two courses, which one is more "birdy"?

Last edited by strawbrryjam : 08-02-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2010 at 09:06 AM   #2
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

do you play piano? music 1aa3 is much easier if your familiar with music, since theres essentially no work (3 midterms + an exam) but the course isnt well geared towards people without any music background

strawbrryjam says thanks to irule333 for this post.
Old 08-02-2010 at 09:07 AM   #3
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

math 1b03 was my lowest mark 1st year could have been because of the prof however

strawbrryjam says thanks to thedog123123 for this post.
Old 08-02-2010 at 10:52 AM   #4
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbrryjam View Post
currently i have three math this year, and i'm wondering if it is too much math.
so, if i were to compare these two courses, which one is more "birdy"?
Math 1B03 can be very easy, if you don't really concern yourself with the meaning behind the material. Many concepts in the course are actually pretty complicated, but you don't really need to know the concepts and their bases (no, not a 1B03 pun) to do well in the course.

However, this means that there's always the "risk" of a professor that takes a more rigorous approach to the material and tests you on more than 'compute this, compute that'. This would make the course a whole lot more interesting if you care for the material (if you like math, you should, since a lot of the material is fundamental to much of mathematics) but also a whole lot more difficult to do well in via the process of rote learning.

Music 1AA3 is, from experience, very, very easy, and I don't see how they could make it more challenging without having some sort of 'music theory background' requisite. That being said, I listened to the genres of classical music covered by the course (Baroque, Romantic, 20th century, jazz) before the course, and found that the assessment portion of the course (identifying pieces) took away from actually listening to pieces for fun - everything is less enjoyable when you have to 'memorize' it for a test...

Last edited by Mahratta : 08-02-2010 at 11:07 AM.

strawbrryjam says thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 08-02-2010 at 04:17 PM   #5
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

I took Math 1B03 in second semester of this year, and Music 1AA3 this summer. If you can take both courses, I would reccomend it. Both are mark boosters. To give you an idea... I found Math 1B03 to be MUCH, MUCH easier than Math 1LS3 - got an 8 in 1LS3 and an 11 in 1B03. But I wouldn't consider Math 1B03 to be a bird course. You still have to put a significant amount of work into the excercizes. On the other hand, there are no assignments in Music 1AA3, and as long as you take decent notes during lecture, you can study the night before a test and come out with a mark above 80.
It all depends on your strengths and what you consider to be "easy". 3 math courses could be very stressful, but if math is one of your strong suites then you could probably pull it off. I personally found Music much easier, since it was just memorization.

strawbrryjam says thanks to marcie for this post.
Old 08-02-2010 at 04:25 PM   #6
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

And just to add... Music 1AA3 is geared towards students who DO NOT have any musical background. It's a history course.
A musical background will give you an advantage since some things will be more familiar and easier to visualize (i.e. major vs minor scales, sonata form) but we were never tested on musical technicalities. But a musical background isn't totally necessary; just make sure you read the textbook more carefully.

strawbrryjam says thanks to marcie for this post.
Old 08-03-2010 at 02:35 PM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
math 1b03 was my lowest mark 1st year could have been because of the prof however
Exact same thing happened to me last year.

Also, if you got into music1aa3, then KEEP IT.

Take music. Its funner, better, and less math. 'Nuff said.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

strawbrryjam says thanks to Rayine for this post.
Old 08-09-2010 at 04:33 PM   #8
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

If you're taking a course for 'easiness', then music is probably a better bet. As I've said before, the material in 1B03 is usually really watered-down, but you might have a prof that doesn't water it down quite as much - and then you may find it to be anything but a bird course.

strawbrryjam says thanks to Mahratta for this post.