MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor in Math and Statistics jordan23 Academics 3 04-21-2010 12:16 PM
Statistics macmac27 Academics 1 01-14-2010 07:21 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM

Mathematics & Statistics Program

Old 07-16-2009 at 08:30 PM   #16
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
I chose 1BA3 because:

b) more theory based
Actually (I think) it's not that 1BA3 is more theory based....physics is always, all about theories!

1BA3 introduces you more to the real bread and butter of physics: Math. (:

You'll have to do more computations yourself, derive some formulas, etc. The homework problems are more challenging, and you'll be asked to think on a higher level...but the material covered (in terms of theory) should be identical to 1BB3.
Old 07-16-2009 at 08:33 PM   #17
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Actually (I think) it's not that 1BA3 is more theory based....physics is always, all about theories!

1BA3 introduces you more to the real bread and butter of physics: Math. (:

You'll have to do more computations yourself, derive some formulas, etc. The homework problems are more challenging, and you'll be asked to think on a higher level...but the material covered (in terms of theory) should be identical to 1BB3.
crap :| more challenging is not what im looking for at this point lol
Old 07-16-2009 at 08:43 PM   #18
Mowicz
Elite Member

If it helps, I took 1BB3...but only because they didn't offer 1BA3 in the summer, when I took it (I think it is offered occasionally). I didn't really suffer from any 'lack of knowledge' when I took 2nd year physics.

Perhaps you may want to look into summer school? That way you can concentrate on one or two courses instead of five, if you expect one to be challenging.
Old 07-16-2009 at 10:49 PM   #19
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

hey btw. are you taking physics 1B03 in term 1 or 2... cause its a pre req for both physics 1BA3 and 1BB3 ... so does that mean I couldnt take 1BB3 term 1 (the only thing available right now) since my physics 1B03 is in term 2 at the moment?
Old 07-16-2009 at 10:52 PM   #20
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

I was actually wondering the same thing... does it say credit, completion or registration in phys 1B03?

EDIT: I'm in first semester
Old 07-16-2009 at 11:09 PM   #21
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

im in second cause my first semester has atronomy and comp sci - again,, heavy load.. so i put physics in second semester.
but it just says pre req - physics 1B03... so i dont knnoooow this sucks.
maybe ill have to move mine to first semester too :(
Old 07-16-2009 at 11:12 PM   #22
mellye
Elite Member

yeah. if you don't want to do it in summer school, you'll have to move it to first semester then squeeze into the 2nd physics. and drop something... what are you taking right now?
Old 07-16-2009 at 11:15 PM   #23
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

what ill probable do is move the physics to 1st, and take away my random Econ class. then squeeze into the second physics during 2nd term, and take away geography (which i dont want anyway god!)

only thing is if i do that... i for sure cant take french (if it opens up) cause french is an all year class.. and id have to take away a class from each side to make room for it, which i couldnt cause my 1st term would be full of stuff i need.
maybe summer school is a better option? is it super expensive?
Old 07-17-2009 at 12:06 AM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
what ill probable do is move the physics to 1st, and take away my random Econ class. then squeeze into the second physics during 2nd term, and take away geography (which i dont want anyway god!)

only thing is if i do that... i for sure cant take french (if it opens up) cause french is an all year class.. and id have to take away a class from each side to make room for it, which i couldnt cause my 1st term would be full of stuff i need.
maybe summer school is a better option? is it super expensive?
Summer school can get expensive. The tuition will be the same price per unit as winter and you'll have to pay some supplementary fees (Not sure how much). But you also have to take into account where you are going to live and what you are going to eat. So the cost be much more than expected.
Old 07-18-2009 at 02:26 AM   #25
Mowicz
Elite Member

Summer school is about $550 per course (unless the price has gone up since I took it), and you can take 2 courses per summer semester, up to a total of 4 courses during the summer.

If you take 2 courses during any semester (and are hence 'full time') then you can apply for OSAP, if you need help.

Melanieee says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 07-19-2009 at 10:37 AM   #26
mellye
Elite Member

Just make sure that you're getting all the requirements. Cause, for math&phys you need both physics and something from the physical science list. While to complete m&s1, you just need something from the faculty of science...
Old 07-19-2009 at 10:57 AM   #27
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

yea im not exactly sure what that list is? im taking astronomy and computer science...
do you have a link to that list i couldnt find it :(
Old 07-19-2009 at 11:02 AM   #28
mellye
Elite Member

PHYSICAL SCI LIST: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1492.html

you should be covered by comp sci.

Melanieee says thanks to mellye for this post.
Old 07-19-2009 at 11:04 AM   #29
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

okay sweet so I think If i fit the second physics into my schedule somewhere then I can go for maths&physics next year yay <3
Old 07-19-2009 at 11:06 AM   #30
mellye
Elite Member

yay!