MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
continue to 3rd year average maryam17 Academics 1 05-01-2010 04:44 PM
marks in order to continue.. xsanx First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 11-12-2009 12:01 AM
Continue the song lyrics game killza General Discussion 68 07-10-2009 04:27 PM
If your CA is less than 3.0, you may not continue at the University. Arnold General Discussion 20 07-08-2009 10:13 AM

may not continue

Old 05-31-2009 at 11:08 PM   #1
armddm

Liked: 0 Times

may not continue
Hi, I have ended up with a CA less than 3.0 (shame, I kno) , I was doing first year engineering. Now I don't know what are my choices anymore? Am I gonna be able to start anything again or I must get out of this country or... Please, I can't even write at the moment, HELP ME!!!
Old 05-31-2009 at 11:14 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Your options are as follows:

- Take summer school courses and do really well to show that you're worth it. This won't keep you in for sure, but it will help when you plead your case to Sally Williams or whoever is in charge of things like this.

- Transfer to a school like Ryerson for a year and get at least an 80% in engineering there, and then reapply to McMaster the following year. I read that in another thread somewhere here...

Good luck!

armddm says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 05-31-2009 at 11:39 PM   #3
rillea

Omg, I just posted on another thread regarding low GPAs and everything and I'm quite worried as well! I can't sleep tonight without thinking about the options I have and to be honest, I dunno if I have any options. I have a GPA of 2.1 with 2 failed courses and I am unable to continue at the university level (plus I only have 24 credits because I am not taking summer school). PLEASE HELP!
Old 05-31-2009 at 11:51 PM   #4
drig

I think you should register for summer school and tell that to your advisor. That should definitely help your case.
Old 06-01-2009 at 07:01 AM   #5
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rillea View Post
Omg, I just posted on another thread regarding low GPAs and everything and I'm quite worried as well! I can't sleep tonight without thinking about the options I have and to be honest, I dunno if I have any options. I have a GPA of 2.1 with 2 failed courses and I am unable to continue at the university level (plus I only have 24 credits because I am not taking summer school). PLEASE HELP!
Unfortunately, your situation is pretty simple. You cannot continue at university, plain and simple. What some people do is take a year off then apply to come back. Or transfer to another university.
Old 06-01-2009 at 08:26 AM   #6
rillea

Thanks for the response, it just sounds so dismal though. I can take summer school and make up the lost credits, I guess, but would that guarantee me admission into McMaster again? Everyone talks about reinstatement, what is that? I'm just so broken right now and I need some more positive answers...there must be another solution aside from taking a year off school/applying to another university like Ryerson (ugh)
Old 06-01-2009 at 08:48 AM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rillea View Post
Thanks for the response, it just sounds so dismal though. I can take summer school and make up the lost credits, I guess, but would that guarantee me admission into McMaster again? Everyone talks about reinstatement, what is that? I'm just so broken right now and I need some more positive answers...there must be another solution aside from taking a year off school/applying to another university like Ryerson (ugh)
Reinstatement basically means taking a year off and going to another school like Ryerson, where you can hopefully achieve good marks and then reapply to McMaster the following year to prove that you are worth it. I think if you do well enough, and do courses which McMaster recognizes the credits for, you may be able to get back into McMaster without being a year behind everyone else your age. Worst case scenario; you end up in first year again or don't get in. I've heard not getting in again is unlikely though (not too sure about this).

Your only other alternative is begging and doing your absolute best in summer school, which may get you on academic probabation. This would really require you doing your absolute best though.

Good luck!

rillea says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 06-01-2009 at 11:44 AM   #8
Gaurav.Sodi

Hi everyone,
I also have problem but it is somewhat different than having lower CA. I have completed my first year enginnering with a CA of 5.5 but with a failed course which I am going to take in summer school. The problem is my second year program as with this average I have got into my third choice which is software and I could not get into my first choice, Mechatronics, but the thing is that i know couple of people with a CA of 5.2 or 5.3, lower than me have got into mechatronics. So, please if you guys can tell me some solution about my problem would be really helpful. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2009 at 12:06 PM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurav.Sodi View Post
Hi everyone,
I also have problem but it is somewhat different than having lower CA. I have completed my first year enginnering with a CA of 5.5 but with a failed course which I am going to take in summer school. The problem is my second year program as with this average I have got into my third choice which is software and I could not get into my first choice, Mechatronics, but the thing is that i know couple of people with a CA of 5.2 or 5.3, lower than me have got into mechatronics. So, please if you guys can tell me some solution about my problem would be really helpful. Thanks.
It might be because those others that had an average lower than yours didn't fail any courses.
Old 06-01-2009 at 01:52 PM   #10
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

It also depends on which course you failed. It may be a requirement for mechatronics. Look into what the requirements are for that specific program...talk to an academic advisory. Things may change ...who knows you may be able to switch into it. I know ppl who have. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2009 at 09:41 AM   #11
myInteger

Liked: 1 Time

@ armddm & rillea

good news: you don't necessarily have to take a year off. you can apply for reinstatement for THIS sept (the deadline is june 30th)

bad news: its not gauraunteed and you are NOT allowed to take courses in the 2nd sem of summer school. if you are taking summer school now (ie. 1st sem) and are acin those courses you can write in ur letter "look, im taking these courses nd im 12ivg them."

if you dont get in this sept, you will have to take courses from ryerson uni (its better than goin go college, which is an option but your credits aren't transferable), ace them and apply again for REINSTATMENT for sept '10. ppl that sit a yr out are given preference and if you get above a B at ryerson i think it would be very hard for mcmaster to deny you.

also, you are not a full time/part time student at ryerson. you are only taking courses there. after sitting a year out u can even apply to other universities for REINSTATEMENT (hence, other posters thinking you can transfer.) how do i konw all this? im in the same position as u.