MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where is Med Rad Facebook Group? silagu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-08-2010 09:46 AM
McMaster Email - Phishing Scam? AnguishedEnd General Discussion 9 09-07-2010 10:41 PM
Registrar's Student Advisory Group nerual MacInsiders Announcements 8 08-12-2010 12:15 AM
The Beacon- Student Support Group (CSD) TheBeaconCSD MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-25-2009 01:10 PM
MacInsiders Facebook Group Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 09-30-2007 04:44 PM

McMaster 2013 Facebook Group a Scam! Must read for any first year student

Old 07-06-2009 at 06:35 PM   #16
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nino View Post
Best thing ever. I tried that for a while actually. It was pretty cool...
They should do Chinglish next.
Old 07-06-2009 at 06:37 PM   #17
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Or 1337 talk. haha
Anyway, I knew all along that there was something fishy about this Facebook group since we didn't even know who the admin is.
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:00 PM   #18
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah, I knew the other group was legit since it's creator is the same creator as last year - that Victor K. dude who's going into second year now. But this group, urgh. I hope people leave it, but I have a feeling they'll either not hear about it, or they won't believe it.
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:39 PM   #19
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

send out a mass email to the members or something. I'm sure it will be gone once facebook learns about it.
Old 07-06-2009 at 08:17 PM   #20
mumbojumbo

Liked: 10 Times

Facebook is a disgrace to society. Social-networking sites are one of the most useless things that have ever been invented by mankind. Yet, few people realize that. Most say they're used for a "connected society" and deemed it's a necessity for people to get connected with everyone. But how does one make it a necessity when privacy is violated? Or when your time is being robbed because you goof around, looking over pointless pictures of other people drunk, instead of doing productive? That isn't the "connected society" we are hoping to achieve and I hope it never continues in our children's children. People should wake up and see the reality that's Mark Zuckerberg.

Same thing goes for Twitter. Micro blogging? Give me a break! More like: people-who-doesn't-know-how-to-use-RSS blogging.
Old 07-06-2009 at 08:19 PM   #21
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

We can't send out a mass emaiil since none of us are admins in the group :(
Old 07-06-2009 at 09:13 PM   #22
feonateresa
Elite Member

Let this be a lesson learned. Never ever post anything like your address or phone number, even work address/number on your facebook. It's retarded. I'm not going to put my timetable up anywhere either. Somebody could easily stalk other people that way. I've seen a lot of people post their cell phone numbers and things, yeah, very smart >.>
Old 07-06-2009 at 09:27 PM   #23
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Geez, kids.
Whatever happened to stranger danger?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-06-2009 at 10:53 PM   #24
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I can't believe people still post sensitive information on the internet.....especial ly a random facebook group.
Old 07-06-2009 at 10:54 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I can't believe people still post sensitive information on the internet.....especial ly a random facebook group.
Guys, I live at 123 Fake St.!!!!
Old 07-06-2009 at 10:57 PM   #26
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Hi guys,
Here's a picture of me

Please add me on MSN.
I <3 to make new friends.
MAC '13! XXXXXXXXOOOOOOXXXXXXX XX.

(That was a play at Mac OS X. )

That being said, I did join McMaster 2013 (the real group)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-06-2009 at 11:08 PM   #27
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

You should never post something online that you aren't comfortable with being on the internet-- no matter how private it seems or who will be looking at it, whether it's marketers or people you know.

I can't believe people are being blackmailed and threatened through these groups. But marketers have been targeting people on Facebook for a while. Sadly it took me a while to figure out that nothing on Facebook is private, no matter how many "privacy settings" you have on your profile. At least now I am more aware and more smart about it.

I have used Facebook for group assignments, clubs and groups I have been involved with and to keep up with friends only because it's easier. I don't really like to though. Social networking has been around for thousands of years, networking electronically isn't as much of an advancement as everyone thinks. This article just proves that.
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:13 PM   #28
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Let this be a lesson learned. Never ever post anything like your address or phone number, even work address/number on your facebook. It's retarded. I'm not going to put my timetable up anywhere either. Somebody could easily stalk other people that way. I've seen a lot of people post their cell phone numbers and things, yeah, very smart >.>
I know! it's so sad.. I never put any of this info.. It's not smart at all, regardless of who you have on your friends' list ..
Old 07-07-2009 at 12:07 AM   #29
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

I find the whole "don't post anything EVER!" mentality a bit over-the-top, but it really is what you feel comfortable with. I'd never tell anyone to put all their personal information (SINs or banking info!) on the internet because that's just dumb, but sometimes there's a risk you take for convenience versus personal information.

I use Facebook so people can contact me easily. Privacy settings are my best friend, and while it's not going to save me every time nor is it really THAT helpful in the long run, it does act like a good bike lock - not a guarantee but you can trust it more than just leaving it sitting there and a nice deterrant. Everything "personal" for me is set to friends only and it's worked so far. Hell, I once had my cell available for everyone in the McMaster network to see and I wasn't spammed like crazy. Although I did have a time where someone told me that he already had my number off Facebook ( I just met the guy but this is just an example and not sharing personal story time )... which prompted my change. But that was my fault.

But anyway, if someone REALLY wanted to stalk you, there are more ways than just Facebook. It's quite an old profession. The internet just makes their job slightly easier. My opinion on the slightly off-topic subject.
Old 07-07-2009 at 01:01 AM   #30
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iman View Post
I find the whole "don't post anything EVER!" mentality a bit over-the-top, but it really is what you feel comfortable with. I'd never tell anyone to put all their personal information (SINs or banking info!) on the internet because that's just dumb, but sometimes there's a risk you take for convenience versus personal information.
You really shouldn't post anything on the internet though. When it comes to real personal information that is. All you need is someone's phone number and you can find out their name and where they live. Granted, I think you can do that with someone's IP too. Hrrm. Your name as well actually. Let's just say you don't really have any privacy at all hahaha.

I personally wouldn't post anything outside of where I go to school and what city I live in. But yes, you're right, this is a risk we all take just by having profiles on social networking sites and forums like this as well.