MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing programs/transfering 2nd year?? macsoonkin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-10-2014 09:30 AM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Changing Second Year Eng Option Kurt_ Academics 2 06-04-2009 01:05 PM

Mcmaster Changing textbooks from year to year

Old 09-05-2014 at 01:46 PM   #1
RamonaFlowers
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Mcmaster Changing textbooks from year to year
hi i noticed that this year they are selling for astronomy 1f03 ''understanding our universe' when last year it was
'a beginner's guide to the universe'
they are still selling used copies of "understanding our universe" in the bookstore
this makes it difficult for me to sell my copy of 'a beginner's guide to the universe'
does anyone know if mcmaster just alternates textbooks year to year so i could sell my book next year
they are buybacking? " a beginner guide to the universe" for around $30
they sell used astro books for around $100
also any ideas for selling my biology book for 1a03 because they completely changed it...does anyone know if the new book is similar at all? before it was Biological Science...
Old 09-05-2014 at 02:05 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

It's not common for the books to alternate - it's not impossible either but it seems highly unlikely. Unfortunately, this is just something that you have to deal with. Books change; you won't always be able to sell your books back. However, you tend to have better luck with the buyback at the end of the term, because at that point they don't know whether or not the books will change for the next term.
Old 09-05-2014 at 02:51 PM   #3
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaFlowers View Post
hi i noticed that this year they are selling for astronomy 1f03 ''understanding our universe' when last year it was
'a beginner's guide to the universe'
they are still selling used copies of "understanding our universe" in the bookstore
this makes it difficult for me to sell my copy of 'a beginner's guide to the universe'
does anyone know if mcmaster just alternates textbooks year to year so i could sell my book next year
they are buybacking? " a beginner guide to the universe" for around $30
they sell used astro books for around $100
also any ideas for selling my biology book for 1a03 because they completely changed it...does anyone know if the new book is similar at all? before it was Biological Science...
Well on behalf of McMaster i would like to personally apologize that the university didnt first consult you before changing the textbooks this year. The sheer audacity of them to make it more difficult for you to sell a textbook is infuriating. If this happens again, please contact me and i will arrange a full on lawsuit against the university for making it difficult for you to sell your used textbooks!
Cant believe you find this unfair... just wow lol
Old 09-06-2014 at 12:16 AM   #4
lilrush

Liked: 6 Times

It is unfair. Half the time they change a few page numbers and call it a new edition just to cash in, pfffttt.

I also have the old versions of 1a03 and 1m03, guess ill just burn them for heat one day or something lol :/
Old 09-06-2014 at 08:32 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrush View Post
It is unfair. Half the time they change a few page numbers and call it a new edition just to cash in, pfffttt.

I also have the old versions of 1a03 and 1m03, guess ill just burn them for heat one day or something lol :/
In the cases the OP is referring to, it's an entirely new textbook, not new editions.
Usually when there's a new edition that's similar to the previous one, the prof will post chapters/page numbers from both, recognizing that they're very similar.
Also, it's the publisher's decision to come up with a new edition, and then they won't sell the old one - it has nothing to do with the school.
Old 09-06-2014 at 08:37 AM   #6
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

I had courses that changed the textbook completely because a different prof is teaching the course or the same prof found a better textbook than the previous one they were using. For example, Linguistics 2L03, 2LL3, 2SY3 and 3M03 all have their their textbooks changed because of a different prof is teaching them so I wasn't able to sell my textbooks for them. It does suck when they do that but what can we do...