MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to check my McMaster dental plan naval23 General Discussion 3 10-06-2013 08:59 PM
Health plan covers eyeglasses replacement? ling77 General Discussion 1 09-30-2013 02:56 PM
Dental Plan dj27734 Financial Aid 0 04-27-2013 10:28 AM
Health plan covers eye exams? SyrianFiona First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-04-2012 02:09 PM
MSU Dental Plan! temara.brown General Discussion 7 08-18-2008 06:13 PM

McMaster Dental Plan covers braces?

Old 07-03-2014 at 09:02 PM   #1
sniper96

Liked: 1 Time

McMaster Dental Plan covers braces?
The Plan also covers 70% of Major Restorative Procedures such as crowns, bridges and dentures. Dental implants are included in the major restorative coverage. These expenses are paid in accordance with the ODA fee guide and benefits payable are limited to $2,500 per Plan year. Also, 50% of Orthodontic Procedures such as braces and retainers are covered
to a maximum of $2,500 per lifetime.

^I found this online in a pdf called Dental Plan McMaster Uni but it won't let me post the link
It says that they will cover 50% of the fee for braces? Is that true?
I couldnt get braces earlier because my parents couldn't afford it but I would do this if its true. Anyone with braces experience say they'll be too painful for first year?
Old 07-03-2014 at 09:19 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper96 View Post
The Plan also covers 70% of Major Restorative Procedures such as crowns, bridges and dentures. Dental implants are included in the major restorative coverage. These expenses are paid in accordance with the ODA fee guide and benefits payable are limited to $2,500 per Plan year. Also, 50% of Orthodontic Procedures such as braces and retainers are covered
to a maximum of $2,500 per lifetime.

^I found this online in a pdf called Dental Plan McMaster Uni but it won't let me post the link
It says that they will cover 50% of the fee for braces? Is that true?
I couldnt get braces earlier because my parents couldn't afford it but I would do this if its true. Anyone with braces experience say they'll be too painful for first year?
If you found it in the insurance information for this year, then it should be true.

The pain that people experience with braces differs between individuals, but under normal circumstances there's really no reason why you can't have braces while being in school...most people who get braces are in school. The most annoying part is probably scheduling the appointments.
It's also probably better to do it in first year, because in four years you should be done with braces (unless your teeth are really bad or complicated). You wouldn't want to start in your fourth year and then lose coverage part way through your treatment.

Chad, sniper96 all say thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 07-03-2014 at 09:39 PM   #3
sniper96

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
If you found it in the insurance information for this year, then it should be true.

The pain that people experience with braces differs between individuals, but under normal circumstances there's really no reason why you can't have braces while being in school...most people who get braces are in school. The most annoying part is probably scheduling the appointments.
It's also probably better to do it in first year, because in four years you should be done with braces (unless your teeth are really bad or complicated). You wouldn't want to start in your fourth year and then lose coverage part way through your treatment.
Now I'm wondering if it's just covers the keeping up processes of braces, like broken bands and things of that sort. I've emailed them though, just to make sure.

That's a good point. My teeth aren't too bad, just a little crowded on top. But really I only have 2 teeth on top that bug me. Anyway, yeah, if it does cover braces, I'll do it first year.
Thanks a lot
Old 07-03-2014 at 10:34 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

DETAILS: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services-...insurance-plan

COVERAGE LIST: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services-...ental-coverage

You'll notice if you do a search on this page, they removed any mention of 'braces' being covered.

My guess would be that they see it as cosmetic surgery so it isn't covered. But it doesnt hurt to ask!!

sniper96 likes this.
Old 07-04-2014 at 09:46 PM   #5
sniper96

yeah I emailed them and what I was looking at was for staff of McMaster haha! too bad, but thanks