MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calculator noryev First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-29-2014 10:07 AM
mcmaster approved calculator jordmark First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-29-2011 09:44 AM
McMaster approved calculator gcruz91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-24-2009 11:30 AM

McMaster GPA Calculator

Old 09-01-2014 at 10:07 AM   #1
Asadm

Liked: 0 Times

McMaster GPA Calculator
McMaster GPA Calculator helps you determine your GPA and required exam mark in order to achieve a certain grade. The 12.0 point grade system calculator can be used with any course, ensuring to provide best and accurate results. With revolutionary design, McMaster GPA is easy to use, while fulfilling all your academic needs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tergpa&hl= en

===================== ===
Features:
- Fall/Winter Term GPA Calculator
- 12.0 Overall GPA Calculator
- Final Exam Calculator
- Grading Information With Percentage
- Ability to add up to six courses when calculating GPA
- Ability to add up to six assessments when calculating course grade

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tergpa&hl= en
Old 09-01-2014 at 11:20 AM   #2
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Can it convert grades to other scales used by other universities?
Old 09-01-2014 at 11:23 AM   #3
Asadm

As for now, the app is only limited to McMaster students. But for the next update, I will try to convert the grades to other universities scales. Thank you for your question.
Old 09-01-2014 at 03:00 PM   #4
danix450

Liked: 2 Times

can you make for more than 6 courses? it would be great if you could store your entire university career grades in it
Old 09-01-2014 at 06:57 PM   #5
Asadm

@danix450, Thats actually a really great idea!! I would try my best to include that in my next update. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-01-2014 at 09:12 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

You can also use this chart on McMaster's website to help calculate your GPA

http://studentsuccess.mcmast er.ca/...ion-chart.html
Old 09-01-2014 at 09:20 PM   #7
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

Can you make it so that you can save your courses, and gradually add assignment/test marks when you get them back? Ex: if you've written 2 tests and an essay, and you still have a mid term and an exam, you can see what your current average is just from the marks you currently have to see where you stand.
Also, I think that if you enter the weight of the exam, it should calculate it automatically after all the other marks have been entered. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-02-2014 at 09:21 AM   #8
Asadm

Hey SweetyTweety, those are great suggestions! I'll work on them for my next update. Thank you so much.
Old 09-02-2014 at 03:59 PM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I made an app like this last year:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gement&h l=en

Close to 1000 downloads now.
Old 09-02-2014 at 04:38 PM   #10
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Nice first android app.

To make this concept powerful you need to add a persistence layer (database interactions). That way people can track their progress over a period of time. Also a touchscreen on a phone is a very awkward interface for inputting 6 courses over and over again to calculate an average. You would be much better off having the persistence layer and adding delta updates .. that is the ability for the user to make incremental changes to courses, semesters and assessments over a long period of time.

You will want to use an SQL database. Android doesnt make this particularly easy so I would follow some very good tutorials out there. You will want to brush up on SQL. Id recommend tables for
1) SEMESTER (id, start_date, term{1,2,3})
2) COURSE (id, semester_id, course_code, units, completion_date, mark)
3) ASSESSMENT (id, course_id, weight, mark, completion_date)

This gets object mapped to:
class semester has List<Course>
class course has List<Assessment>

~Thats just from the top of my head. Obviously look at your skills and any requirements you think you want to add. For example you could have both mark and desired_mark or something to help calculate marks needed on exams or whatever.
Old 09-10-2014 at 12:50 PM   #11
Asadm

Thank you qwerty91, for all the suggestions!
Old 10-15-2014 at 03:09 PM   #12
shai30nad

Liked: 1 Time

Can you make an iPhone compatible app to put up on the AppStore pleeease?